PC keeps shutting off

deadlyclaris

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I have a very irritating problem. My computer will randomly turn off as if someone pulled the power cord out of the psu. Now, I know a bit about computers myself. I've checked the temps, CPU hits 55C under heaviest of load. I thought it was the psu. I bought a 750w one and I just installed it. Shortly after, the computer turned off.

I am seriously running out of ideas! It's not the PSU, it's not overheating (My case is a huge tower one with multiple fans and great ventilation). What on Earth could it be?

Also, I reinstalled windows. All the drivers were reinstalled as well.

croak2012

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I would first rule out software issues by running various malware and virus scans in safe mode . run a disk check too.
and then you could make a start on the hardware side of things by opening up case and checking for dust build up and checking connections. also check power lead for any damage.

deadlyclaris

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I fixed it. Turns out, my 4GBs of RAM was not enough. Under load, my RAM was 80% used. It was only DDR2. I assume the sticks overheated or just couldn't continue putting out so much effort. So I got a new mobo that supports DDR3 and 8GBs of RAM and now everything is fine. Thanks for the help!

rsinj

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Good that you resolved your issue, however, I don't think your diagnosis is what was causing your problem.