Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps shutting off

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2011 11:54:56 PM

I have a very irritating problem. My computer will randomly turn off as if someone pulled the power cord out of the psu. Now, I know a bit about computers myself. I've checked the temps, CPU hits 55C under heaviest of load. I thought it was the psu. I bought a 750w one and I just installed it. Shortly after, the computer turned off.

I am seriously running out of ideas! It's not the PSU, it's not overheating (My case is a huge tower one with multiple fans and great ventilation). What on Earth could it be?

Also, I reinstalled windows. All the drivers were reinstalled as well.

More about : shutting

October 27, 2011 1:48:25 AM

Plug a lamp into the same wall outlet [??] and see if it too goes out with the 'puter.....:) 
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:00:00 PM

My monitors are plugged into the same outlet, they stay on the whole time.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 2:26:16 PM

I would first rule out software issues by running various malware and virus scans in safe mode . run a disk check too.
and then you could make a start on the hardware side of things by opening up case and checking for dust build up and checking connections. also check power lead for any damage.
m
l
a c 1180 ) Power supply
November 5, 2011 3:23:26 PM

What is the make and model of the motherboard, power supply unit, graphics card, SSDs if any, HDDs?
m
l
November 12, 2011 2:53:43 AM

I fixed it. Turns out, my 4GBs of RAM was not enough. Under load, my RAM was 80% used. It was only DDR2. I assume the sticks overheated or just couldn't continue putting out so much effort. So I got a new mobo that supports DDR3 and 8GBs of RAM and now everything is fine. Thanks for the help!
m
l
November 13, 2011 6:03:58 AM

deadlyclaris said:
I fixed it. Turns out, my 4GBs of RAM was not enough. Under load, my RAM was 80% used. It was only DDR2. I assume the sticks overheated or just couldn't continue putting out so much effort. So I got a new mobo that supports DDR3 and 8GBs of RAM and now everything is fine. Thanks for the help!

Good that you resolved your issue, however, I don't think your diagnosis is what was causing your problem.
m
l
!