Sign in with
Your question

CPU turning off

Last response: in CPUs
October 27, 2011 1:05:29 AM

I'm running my computer 8 hrs(non-stop) in the morning then rest, and another 8hrs(non-stop) in the evening daily. Its new, I built it myself. Been doing it for week. But today I got this problem, I'm surfing the net then suddenly my computer turned off. When I open it again, it's booting but eventually turns off when running the OS. Any help for this? I think it's not CPU overheat, coz I check it regularly and not even reach 50°C with the 8 hrs running.

More about : cpu turning

October 27, 2011 1:09:30 AM

If you are certain that it's not a heat issue then it's possible it's bad ram,I've had this, or possibly even a driver conflict, seen any blue? Or maybe even voltage/power problems.

However it really does sound like a heat issue, I'm suffering a few probs of my own atm in that regard :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2011 1:25:59 AM

You can run Memtest86+ from a floppy, CD or flash drive to check the memory. You might also try reseating the RAM and Video card and make sure all cable connections are fully connected.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2011 1:26:32 AM

No. No blue screen appeared, just automatically turns off. :( 
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:27:29 AM

beenthere said:
You can run Memtest86+ from a floppy, CD or flash drive to check the memory. You might also try reseating the RAM and Video card and make sure all cable connections are fully connected.

OK. Will try it..
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:35:26 AM

Now entering in the BIOS is impossible, I think its a RAM issue. How can I check if the RAM is working?
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
October 27, 2011 1:41:20 AM

if you cant get into bios at boot then turn off and unplug the pc remove the battery for a few seconds and reset bios... or if you have a high feature motherboard press the bios rest button. then try powering on again...

to test ram on a non booting system. just take them all out and test them 1 at a time in different slots to see if you can post on each stick...

check hpet in bios to make sure its on and set to your o.s. xx.bit value.
also check in control pannel/admin tools/ events
look at applications and system to see if there is any errors listed straight after the last shut down...
if its a kernal 41 error it means the cpu lost power suddenly. this error normally shows up if you press reset to reboot the machine... if you get the same error but you didnt press reset it often points to a psu or motherboard problem.

if its error 124 the cpu wasnt able to draw the power it needs (this is caused by over clocking and not having the rite volts)causing it to instantly shut down.

bad memory can also cause an instant off. i find its quicker to run a superpi 32M to test memory integrity if your system can boot that is... if the memory is bad the pc will lock up within the first couple of finished numbers...
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:41:49 AM

test one stick at a time
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:11:37 AM

When I'm entering in the BIOS, my computer turns off, also when its entering the OS.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:13:44 AM

Have you tested your ram yet?

Try one stick at a time and repeat your steps.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:14:33 AM

Hmm before getting into hardware issues, what hardware do you have? Please list all INCLUDING your power supply and wattage rating.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:37:13 AM

CPU- Phenom x4 965BE, Mobo- BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD, RAM- kingston 4GB ddr3 pc-10600/1333, ATX PSU 500W, GPU- sapphire hd 5670.

I have only 1 stick of RAM.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:49:14 AM

sapilingmo155 said:
CPU- Phenom x4 965BE, Mobo- BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD, RAM- kingston 4GB ddr3 pc-10600/1333, ATX PSU 500W, GPU- sapphire hd 5670.

I have only 1 stick of RAM.

Its hard to test the RAM if you only have 1 stick. This can be either RAM or power supply issue, I remember doing a build for a friend of mine, and the PSU came defective out of the box. I new it was the PSU because I tested a different PSU from another computer he had lying around and it worked perfectly. Same exact symptoms your having, it works for a bit, can go into BIOS, but not OS because the PSU is not powering components properly. In fact, if you happen to wait for about 15 minutes, and the time it takes for the computer to shut off takes longer, then even more inclined to suspect the PSU. If you have an old PSU to test on your build, I would use it minus your graphics card, then test your new PSU minus the graphics card. If you don't have any way to test the PSU, depending on where you live, a repair shop can test it for you really quick. PSU's are some of the first things to come defective.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:59:39 AM

Thanks for the help. I will try to test the PSU.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:06:32 PM

Thank you all for your help. It's the PSU problem. :)  now its working..
m
l
!