CPU/Gaming question

I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo.What are lets say the top 2 AMD/AM3/AM3+ Processors?I will be playing Battlefield 3 mostly.I have an Athlon ii x4 645 now.And at times I get a notice saying 100% of atleast one CPU being used.Should I get one of the Bulldozer's?6 or 8 core?I also have DDR3 1333 memory.My mobo supports 1866.Should I upgrade the memory for high end gaming?
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming question
  1. No bulldozer. It's a energy hog and is too expensive for what you get. Better to get an i5 1155 or phenom II six core.
  2. Is your Athlon overclocked?
  3. The top two AM3+ CPU's are now the FX-8150 and FX-8120. Both are Bulldozer 8-cores, and neither is viable for gaming (not for value-for money wise, anyway).

I'd get the Phenom II X6 1100T BE if I was you. Overclocking FTW, baby.

The memory upgrade will only help if you're running a CPU with an FSB speed of 1866, which means the new Bulldozer architecture. If you're not getting Bulldozer, there's no use in getting new RAM.
  4. Newegg has a phenom II six core oem for $125 after promo code. It's apparantly unlocked according to some users.
  5. No reason to upgrade the memory. Yes, the new memory would be faster, but in generally you'll spend a lot of money for no noticeable increase in performance.

I also wouldn't get a six-core processor unless you do more than gaming. You can get a X4 980 BE for less money with a higher clockrate than the X6 1100T. Most games (only game I know uses more than 4 cores is Microsoft Flight Sim) only benefit from 4 cores. If you overclock, you can get a X4 955 BE and overclock it up to (and maybe beyond) a X4 980 BE. However, considering Newegg's sale, I'd probably get a X4 970 BE for the guaranteed minimum speed and then overclock that.
  6. i recommend you to go for i5 2500k with gtx 570 or hd 6950 i swear it will keep you much happier than bulldozer and pick ddr3 1600mhz no need to overclock it.
  7. ^ +1
  8. His mother board only takes AMD CPU's.
  9. First, try overclocking your 645. If it makes a difference, and is enough, then you're done. If it makes NO difference, your GPU is the bottleneck; what GPU(s) do you have? If it makes a difference, but isn't enough, consider the 970BE.
  10. FinneousPJ said:
    Is your Athlon overclocked?

No i'm not sure how to do that.Only thing i found I was comffy OCing was the memory from 1333 to 14 something.How do I do it?
  11. Onus said:
    First, try overclocking your 645. If it makes a difference, and is enough, then you're done. If it makes NO difference, your GPU is the bottleneck; what GPU(s) do you have? If it makes a difference, but isn't enough, consider the 970BE.

I have a Power Color 6970 OC edition
  12. Well, your GPU is adequate for sure :D

I believe the Athlon may only be overclocked only by changing the reference clock. I'm sure you'll be able to find more info on this site/google.
  13. ostitcho said:
    No i'm not sure how to do that.Only thing i found I was comffy OCing was the memory from 1333 to 14 something.How do I do it?

This site has a lot of really good articles on overclocking.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/792461-amd-overclocking-guides-essential-threads.html
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs