Asus A7V, DMA and Win Me

G

I just upgraded my system and buyed a Asus A7V motherboard (socket A, chipset VIA) with a AMD 650 MHz Duron processor.

I connected my IBM hard disk in the motherboard integrated Promise ATA-100 controller, my Kenwood TrueX 72x in the PRIMARY MASTER CHANNEL and my CD-RW Plextor 8/4/32A in the SECUNDARY MASTER IDE CHANNEL... All with 80 pin ribbons just in case. (Any comments?).

But when I activated the DMA in the System Properties of the operational system (MS Windows ME) and reboot the system the check mark of the DMA dissapear... It appears that the CD-ROM and/or CD-RW doesn't support the DMA function (I know it does because I activated before my upgrade and it was working perfectly)... What can I do? This property it's very important to the correct and perfect operation of the CD-ROM/CD-RW but it un-checked itself every time I reboot the system. What do you think? What can I do? This happens in the CD-ROM and the CD-RW units.

I already update the motherbord bios and drivers.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you installed the latest Via 4in1 driver?
Have you installed the latest Promise controller driver?
What is your BIOS version? 1004c is the latest.
I haven't had any problems with the DMA after I upgraded the above.
Do you have any other drives?

James

G

ya raven is right... I just got an A7v like 3 days ago and had the same exact problem... you need the 4in1 basically everything thats on that gay cd they you with the mobo and then reset the bios... thats what i did and it worked fine.. also make sure your hard drive has all the stuff it needs. I was using a WD 15gb 7200rpm hard drive and i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt detect my hard drive. tired just about everything... you might have a disk that comes with the hard drive that enables ata100 or 66... thats what happened to me so give it a shot... also be careful with IRQ's... the a7V messed up my IRQ's bad make sure that video and the ACPI controller dont get mixed together or you have trouble... and make sure you sound card is in slot 3... thats where the mobo likes it and its alot easier than playing hardball with it...

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V with a Duron 600.
I just today discovered that unchecking the DMA for the CDRW fixed all my buring problems. I couldn't burn CDs in 4, yes 4, different programs. Now since unchecking DMA I have not had an error message or unsuccessful burn. Even the disc copy feature works, and faster than before.
Maybe just me, but I will leave DMA off at least for now.