24 pin power connector problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

quackzmcduck

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Well today I received my RMAed motherboard from AsRock. Upon installation, I found that the 24 pin connector from my power supply will not go in all of the way. This was the same way on my previous motherboard. I have also returned the power supply to see if was specific to that PSU but it isn't. All power supplies of that make and model don't go in.

Motherboard: AsRock Extreme6 Z77
Power supply: Corsair GS700W

Things I have tried,

Called Corsair, they had no help.
Called AsRock, no help either.
Checked to see if pins are bent on the motherboard connection. Nope.
Pushed extremely hard.
Yes, I'm putting it in the right way.

It goes in half way and it is almost about to click into place.
If I push any harder I feel as though the board might break under the pressure.

Please help, I have no idea what to do.

The system WILL boot with it in halfway. I just don't know if it is good to keep it like that.

battletop425

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
God effing damn it, I just got my new pc today with the same MOBO and Corsair HX750W...
"exact same problem" for me to.
I don't know what the HELL in the world I am supposed to be doing.
Been googling for some solutions but ended up finding another person that's having random crashes during the use
due to the 24 pin PSU cable not going all the way in.
this is totally messed up.

Funny how neither Corsair nor Asrock pretends it's not their problem... -_-

SO frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
On the socket on the motherboard, there is a little plastic lip that defines the cable lock bit.

Otherwise, you do need to push it in as hard as you can , some of them can be rather difficult.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
OOPS! You meant the main 24 pin connector? Sorry, I was having my dinner when I was reading your message, I musta looked away from which connection you was referring :/

Same as first reply, you gotta just push it on making sure that it is evenly square as you press down and the lip lock is on the side of the cable lock. Don't wreck the capacitor next to the socket, though.

Phantom325

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I had the same problem as you and stumbled upon this thread to hopefully find an answer. I was also concerned about breaking my motherboard if I pressed to hard into the socket and thought of a way around this. What I suggest is counter-intuitive, you press beyond what you think your motherboard can cope but you place a form of support behind the motherboard. I used note cards so that I could easily fit it in behind the motherboard but I suggest you use whatever is appropriate (something firm but wont damage the board). Once I did this I just pressed the 24-pin into the socket and quickly found success.

Hope this helps (even though its two years late).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS