Asus P8Z77-V LX and Multiple Displays

bobby2478

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I'm looking at building a HTPC and am looking at the ASUS P8Z77-V LX motheboard. I was wondering if this motherboard can handle multiple displays?

I plan on using my HTPC primarily as my home use PC, where I do everyday tasks like surf the web, use MS Office, edit some photos, etc. No gaming. I also plan to use his as my "Media Server" if you will, so it will play my movie library, which I'll display on my TV.

So am wondering if this motherboard can handle the following:

1. Output signal via VGA to my PC monitor, have this output match the resolution of my monitor.
2. Output signal via HDMI to my TV, have this output match the resolution of my TV.

So both outputs would independently have their own resolution to match the displays associated with them. Also, I would like them to both be on all the time, meaning I don't have to "switch" back and forth between displays enabling and disabling them. So if I'm in my office, I'll use the monitor. If I want to watch a movie, all I would need to do would be to start XBMC for example, then go to my TV and change the HDMI input to my HTPC.

Does anyone know if the P8Z77-V LX can handle a setup like this?

bobby2478

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Does anyone have ANY experience with P8Z77-V series motherboards utilizing multiple displays? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback as I'd like to know how this will work before I buy any motherboard. I want to ensure whatever motherboard I buy can handle it, and if this series can't then I'll have to decide on something else.

THanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

flashpop

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I read a comment from someone that said they had to turn off the on board bios to the video. They were using a graphics card that conflicted, which you may be planning to do. Turning off the video in the bios fixed the problem. It may be specific to that video card. You should take this lightly as it is unconfirmed, but you wanted to know anything you could. I plan on buying the P8z77 Deluxe and I use four monitors. I will use an Nvidia video card.

Good luck!

bobby2478

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the info. I don't plan on using a seperate video card as I don't do any gaming, the integrated graphics in my CPU (Intel Core i5) will be able to handle the graphics for what I plan to do. So I want to only use the output ports on the motherboard itself.

Really what I want to do is hook a TV up to the HDMI output from the motherboard, and a computer monitor up to the VGA output on the motherboard. I could then set the output signal on HDMI port to match the TV resolution, and same with the monitor.

My monitor would serve as my primary windows desktop, and I would like to "drag" the media player application over to the TV display. Then whenever I want to watch a movie, all I need to do is change to that input on my TV.

So similar to how you can setup 2 monitors in windows and drag things back and forth between them. I want to do that same thing usng only the HDMI and VGA outputs on my motherboard, where each port output the signal in a resolution that matches that display.

flashpop

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I built a system just like that once. It works great. Good idea. My opinion, is that you will be ok with the P8Z77. It's a fine board.

Good luck with your new system!

-jerry

bobby2478

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I have my PC monitor hooked up via VGA, and the TV in my living room via HDMI. It works, and using Intel graphics, I'm able to set the TV as my secondary monitor with it's own resolution (different then my PC monitor resolution).

Only thing that's a pain is when using XBMC. It defaults the settings to my PC monitor, and I have to go into settings and change to my TV (secondary monitor) every time I start XBMC. Also the TV has to be on and set to the HDMI input in order for my PC to recognize the monitor.

If my TV were my only monitor then I don't imagine I would have any problems.

Overall this board does what I want it to do, I have no complaints.

skidaddl3

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Use 3 of these ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboards on 3 systems.
I am currently writing on two monitors on the native DVI and using the HDMI port converted to another DVI (both monitors are Samsung SyncMaster S24B420 with VGA or DVI only, no HDMI).

This motherboard has a VGA port, a HDMI port and HDMI port all on-board.
There is a BIOS option to enable/disable multi monitor support - possibly a power saving option if you decide to go a GPU peripheral?

I can't seem to "hack" or enable a third monitor on the VGA port, however the system does detect a connected third monitor. The Intel HD 4000 series Graphics Control Panel in Display -> Multiple Displays only shows 2 Active Displays. Selecting any of the drop downs shows three (3) separate monitors/displays.

The monitors I have set up in an Extended Desktop mode, meaning they are not Cloned Displays, therefore they each can have their resolutions separately manipulated and therefore they are not locked to one shared resolution.

There are also options for Single Display Mode or Collage Mode. I have briefly played with these, but do not seem to demonstrate what I want.

The conclusion is that the Hardware can only support 2 each simultaneous streams of video/display.