will RAMBUS disappear sooner than later?

G

I doubt it. Although economically a horrible solution (very much more expensive while only marginally faster), it's technically not very bad (bad latency and bad scalability, but good bandwidth and good power management). What's very important for Rambus is that Intel still doesn't seem to budge: they still support Rambus and have lots of it in their roadmaps. After Intel can break free from their strangle-contract (Dutch expression) they can drop it, and it'll go away to a small niche market; maybe notebooks because of the power management possibilities...

"I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M."

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is a question for you, why would Dell use Rambus in their systems but not AMD (and no I don't mean in the same system).
I know there are the compatibility problems and lack of stability arguements but I have not seen much of that with the new socket A's. And most of the problems people have with their AMD machines is probably more the fault of the VIA chipset than the processor. The new AMD chipset may be the answer to that. Also there was the problem of software makers not supporting the chips but they too seem to have come around.

AMD is faster and cheaper. You would think that Dell would realize this. If they charged the same price for a 1GHz Tbird system as they did for a 1Ghz PIII system they would have a much larger profit margin.

mpjesse

Splendid
It's all about the name baby. Tell me, how many TV commercials have you seen advertising an Athlon? NONE. How many Intel commercials? A million. The average joe recognizes Intel- so Dell must sell Intel. It's sad but true.

mpjesse

Splendid
I think RamBus will disappear when intel comes out with their chipset supporting DDR RAM. Until then, RDRAM will rule on Intel chipsets. RDRAM has really dropped in price the past week- it's the same price as DDR RAM. Not bad considering RDRAM is a superior technology to DDR RAM- the problem of open standards and royalties still lies. If RamBus would ditch their stupid royalties, RDRAM would stand a good chance. Oh yeah, if they'd drop their lawsuits too. Just my input. =)

-Jesse

PS, i wouldn't be surprised if RamBus takes DDR RAM And makes it a whole lot faster, then turns around and buys a large memory maker and sells it for themselves. I think it's a good idea.

G

Reply to Bubba:
The most important reason for Dell not to sell AMD is that they have a "special" relationship with Intel - the relationship Compaq had before they aquired DEC and the Alpha. Intel gives ALL information on ALL processors FIRST to Dell, and only later to other manufacturers. Dell has succesfully used these advantages and quickly grew to be one of the largest PC manufacturers in the world. If they upset Intel and loose their special status, their growth would be impeded.
Intel wants to push RDRAM, therefor Dell must push RDRAM. Even though they know it's not the best solution.

G

I wonder where you got the idea that RDRAM is superior to DDR-SDRAM. Is it because an i840 chipset with RDRAM outperforms SDRAM platforms? Then please consider that the i840 uses dual channel; using a serverworks server set III chipset with dual memory banks, a Tyan Thunder 2500 is very much faster than an Intel Outrigger OR840 motherboard. So performancewise RDRAM cannot show any muscle: for every RDRAM board you show me, I can show you an equivalent motherboard in SDRAM technology that's faster.
Is it then because RDRAM is a NEW technology, that can grow and replace SDRAM that is OLD technology? Sorry, wrong again. RDRAM goes back to 1990, when Rambus was founded. The current Direct RDRAM is the 3rd version (after Basic RDRAM and Concurrent RDRAM) and still Rambus doesn't outperform its contemporaries; and after 10 years and 3 major revisions you'd expect that they could...
Is it then that the technology used is so ideal for PC's that it will automatically replace SDRAM? Well the present shows exactly the opposite. Even motherboardmakers that used RDRAM-enabled chipsets scrambled to use MRH-S SDRAM translator hubs. And for the near future, the same holds. Only Intel, held by a strangle-contract (Dutch expression) supports Rambus, and by now not even whole-heartedly.
Like I've said before, I only see Rambus RDRAM continue in notebooks where power consumption is a factor, and in small devices where granularity is important. Rambus holds no real bandwidth advantage, and imposes quite a latency penalty; also the maximum memory size is very limited: 512 MB per channel vs. 4 GB per bank for a Serverworks Server Set III WS chipset (the one for workstations; the server version naturally goes a lot further)

mpjesse

Splendid
OK, let me rephrase that then. RDRAM is a proven technology. No one really knows how well DDR RAM will do with PC's. I'm sure it'll be successful, but it's still not a proven technology with system memory... It is however proven with video cards. Don't get me wrong- I think DDR is better in many ways- just not proven yet. I have even ordered some from crucial. RDRAM has been around a lot longer and still has a ton of potential. I wouldn't count it out until Rambus stops turning a profit and every memory maker ditches it. The same could be said for AMD. Who'd of thought a company like AMD would make it this far? All it took was some investing from National Semiconducter and NexGen. [-peep-], i remember thinking 5 years ago "God that K5 processor sucks, why doesn't AMD just give up? No one uses them."

-MP Jesse

G

rambus predicts they will have 40% of the market by 2001.
intel after a snippy comment one day by their ceo,has since recanted and is still deeply in bed with rambus.
even tho intels roadmap shows that all their rambus boards except one(for a server) will be gone by midyear.
rambus doesn't have to sell rambus to make a profit. if all their lawsuits win they will make a living by charging you more for your sdram(via imposed royalties) than the current under performing rambus cost.

everyone here is also at the best site for information on the net. just go back to the website and read backwards through the news.
rambus and it's still very much alive threat to you all is spelled out in detail in these series of news stories.
for right now, if you support intel, you are supporting rambus,the people who intend to charge you more for almost every computer pucrchase even if you don't buy it from. them.
rambus is a very temporary all time low because no one wants it and it was overproduced leading to a surplus which will not come again. rambus is slower than sdram. it doesn't hold a candle to ddram.
read the articles. whether you disagree with me or not is irrelevant. if you read all the info, the one thing you will not be able to deny is that rambus intends to take money from your wallet and provide nothing in exchange...along with their agreement partner intel.

G

I am sad to say no I don't think they will go ..... they will come up with another product that they will overcharge you for , even if it is not under the Rambus name it will arrive......

M

G

Rambus could be the only company in history that
controls a market by not producing any products.

Maybe we could change the name of Rambus to Shaftus.

G

read a link at tom's news bar.
says analyst predict that rambus will win it's legal challenges.
if they are able to control the patent that everything related to current memory archectecture is based on then they control everything. the ram in your harddrive,the memory on your video card,your motherboard, preetty much everything.
rambus has already stated publicly that anyone who fought them in court will not be licensed to sell or produce anything.( product)
the others will be subjected to royalties that are basicly only determined by the price point where people stop buying computers. business will have to have them and they have more money. you may not be able to own a computer.
and if you do it may be more expensive to buy ddr than rrdram. if people were smart enough they would boycott intel to try to remove some support from rambus inc.
too bad that's not going to happen.
keep your eye on the news. right before the royalties are going to go into force will be your last chance to buy an inexpensive computer. after that the sky is the limit,there is nothing to prevent them from charging as much as they want. or banning competing products by not licensing them.
good luck.

G

Right now it seems to me as if RAMBUS has pissed off almost every memory maker and even chipset makers with their litigation. If RAMBUS wins their court cases they will get royalties from the memory companies for a while, but the way things change you know the memory makers are right now devising the next memory breakthrough and I am sure RAMBUS is not invited. Do you think they really would have adopted memory standards that were patented by RAMBUS? RAMBUS pulled a fast one and will eventually pay dearly. Long live MICRON!

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...