Help with new Multimedia/Gaming setup please

braymondclark

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
I am looking to create a new wireless network in my small (but 2 story house). My PC's, router, and modem will all be in my first floor office. I need a router and I am assuming a range extender or a multi-port gaming adapter to drive xbox live, roku, pandora services to my 2nd floor media room. I've been told that reliable streaming is almost never as good as a wired connection but the wife isn't about to let me drill holes through holes through walls and floors to run CAT5 so I am looking for the next best solution.
Reading reviews on Newegg and Amazon have left me even more confused on what to pick. I am looking for the most bang for my buck (who doesn't want to save money in this economy?). I have very limited knowledge of current network technology but am somewhat savy with PC hardware so while I don't need a "for dummies" book, I'd be clueless in the advanced settings of my router config screen :sweat:
Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

G

You're right -- wireless is a convenience, not a better solution than wired.

You don't need a book, just download the full router manual from the CD which comes with it or from the maker's website.

My advice is find a good dealer but if you must buy from internet supplier you won't go far wrong with products from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link. First thing to be clear on when buying a router is whether your ISP is DSL or Cable.

braymondclark

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. Not looking for a book that was just an off the cuff remark. I need recomendations on router and supplemental hardware (if needed) to achieve best streaming/online gaming connection from my cable ISP. Not sure if I need dual band or other "bells and whistles" so I posted here hoping for help from those more expierenced than myself.