So Im looking to buy a i5-3570k and a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3. I was wondering if i could use q-flash to update my bios on my mobo so that my ib chip will work or if there is any other way to update the bios that doesn't cost me anything?
IF your BIOS is 'pre-IB' then no Q-Flash won't work ... because you won't be able to post to get to Q-Flash. note: IB = Ivy Bridge, and SB = Sandy Bridge CPU.
Choices with 'pre-IB' BIOS:
1. Donor CPU i.e a SB CPU ; Free (borrow)
$0 or Buy a Intel Celeron G440 ~$41
2. Repair shop ; Cost of repair typically ~$35~$60
3. RMA to Gigabyte for a BIOS update ; Shipping cost to Gigabyte ~$20
4. Replacement, if applicable, BIOS EPROM chip ; Cost? from Gigabyte ~$??
5. RMA if the MOBO is new ; Shipping cost to Retailer ~$20
Q - What revision of Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3? (1.0, 2.0 or 2.1)