Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ivy and Z68 problem. will q-flash work?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2012 9:31:51 PM

So Im looking to buy a i5-3570k and a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3. I was wondering if i could use q-flash to update my bios on my mobo so that my ib chip will work or if there is any other way to update the bios that doesn't cost me anything?

Thank you
a c 462 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 10:25:04 PM

Reddon said:
So Im looking to buy a i5-3570k and a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3. I was wondering if i could use q-flash to update my bios on my mobo so that my ib chip will work or if there is any other way to update the bios that doesn't cost me anything?

Thank you

hi red and welcome to the forums...the easy way is to contact the buyer new egg or micro center and ask for a mb with the new bios code already on it from the vendor. email the vendor and ask when mb with the sb bootable bios were shipped out and there serial number or week of manufacture...most mb serial number have that info as the first few or last few numbers. also ask if on the outside of the box or mb has a bios label. with that info you should be able to buy a mb with a bootable ib bios installed. then you can update the bios to the last know rev.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 11:48:44 PM

^+1 is not very hard - just a bit scary the first time.
-Bruce
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 11:52:16 PM

Are you getting the motherboard used? If I were you I would just buy a motherboard that is compatible out of the box. Z77 would be good.
Score

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2012 12:09:26 AM

Reddon said:

Thank you

IF your BIOS is 'pre-IB' then no Q-Flash won't work ... because you won't be able to post to get to Q-Flash. note: IB = Ivy Bridge, and SB = Sandy Bridge CPU.

Choices with 'pre-IB' BIOS:
1. Donor CPU i.e a SB CPU ; Free (borrow) $0 or Buy a Intel Celeron G440 ~$41
2. Repair shop ; Cost of repair typically ~$35~$60
3. RMA to Gigabyte for a BIOS update ; Shipping cost to Gigabyte ~$20
4. Replacement, if applicable, BIOS EPROM chip ; Cost? from Gigabyte ~$??
5. RMA if the MOBO is new ; Shipping cost to Retailer ~$20

Q - What revision of Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3? (1.0, 2.0 or 2.1)
July 25, 2012 1:16:56 AM

Best answer selected by Reddon.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 25, 2012 4:09:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!