Sign in with
Your question

Only 1pcie connection,Can I use a Y split. Please help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2011 12:39:49 AM

I just received my Radeon HD 6870 to crossfire with my MSI 785GM-E65 with AMD phenom 2 x 4 processors. My psu is a blue star with 650w total.
+3.3v +5v +12v -12v +5vsb
30A 32A 35A 0.5A 2.5A
The only problem is my psu only has one pcie connector and I need 2. I did purchase a 6 pin pcie to 2 6 pin pcie's and I am not sure if this y adapter will be sufficient. The installation instructions do say not to use a y adapter but I am thinking that it is not good to use a y adapter if the power supply is close to minimum requirements. The lowest wattage pcu recommended is 500w and mine is 650w. Do you think I will be ok with using a y adapter for my 6pin pcie.

Please help and thank you.

More about : 1pcie connection split

a c 173 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 2:08:43 AM

your psu is a no name brand, they have a tendancy to be underrated so its a risk. Better to use a dual 4pin molex to 6 pin pcie adaptor. that way all the extra power is not traveling through the one cable but is spread across 2 cables. either way its in your best interest to get a good quality psu.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 2:10:59 AM

Please clarify: are you attempting to crossfire two 6870s or just install one? Xfire and SLI imply that you are going to use two GPUs to improve video performance. You seem to have only one GPU.

If you are atempting to try to power a 6870 by splitting a 6 pin power connector into two 6 pin connectors then you will probably burn up the PSU or the GFX card. Your instinct is correct DO NOT USE A Y ADAPTOR from the PSU to the GFX card.

It looks like you will need a better power supply. You may be able to get by with 500 W, but definitely get one with at least two 6 pin cables.
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2011 11:12:09 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Please clarify: are you attempting to crossfire two 6870s or just install one? Xfire and SLI imply that you are going to use two GPUs to improve video performance. You seem to have only one GPU.

If you are atempting to try to power a 6870 by splitting a 6 pin power connector into two 6 pin connectors then you will probably burn up the PSU or the GFX card. Your instinct is correct DO NOT USE A Y ADAPTOR from the PSU to the GFX card.

It looks like you will need a better power supply. You may be able to get by with 500 W, but definitely get one with at least two 6 pin cables.

Thanks for the response. I have just one graphics card. My motherboard is crossfire compatible which will use the onboard Radeon HD 4200 and the card which is Radeon HD6870. Either way I need at least a 4pin molex to 6 pin pcie. Is there any risk in this kind of adapter.
m
l
May 24, 2011 11:28:40 PM

chesteracorgi said:

I just looked for some 4pin molex to 6pin pcie adapters. I found some that are 2 four pin molex to 1 6pin pcie. Should I get this instead or will the 2 molex to 1 6pin pcie create to much power or will the card take just what it needs. If the card takes just what it needs I believe I would be better off with the 2 four pin molex to 1 six pin pcie instead of the single molex to 6 pin pcie. Am I correct. Please get back asap. Much appreciated.
m
l
!