Motherboard has power but nothing happens.

No-one1510

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello, I am Rowan and i have a PC problem...

I have recently built my own PC from scratch. These are the hardware specs:

Motherboard: ipmsb-gs B3
CPU: Intel i5
RAM: 4GB (single stick)
PSU: 400 Watt

Those are the basic specs. i have a graphics card but for the sake of this discussion i have excluded it from this equation.

The problem: This is a brand new mobo, out of the box. Once I have installed all of the components (including power) a little green light lights up on the motherboard. (I presume this means it has power.)

The RAM is correctly installed and is firmly in place. Power cables are also secured tightly. I have removed all fans from the power pack, and likewise the GPU. The only things consuming power now are: The CPU fan, RAM, Mobo, and CPU.

The PSU runs my old mobo fine, it boots up correctly. The Front panel connectors are also new ( as i bought a new Cooler Master case.) and are correctly attached to the F-Pannel pins on the mobo. I have double, triple and quadruple checked this.

All the little blue blocks that connect two pins (like the flash override, cmos and ROM recovery) are in their default positions.

SO: When I press the power on button on my new case (or my old case for that matter) nothing happens. absolutely nothing. The PSU fan also doesn't turn on. There is no POSTing either. Eventually I stripped everything out and assembled the bare minimum of parts listed ablove on the floor and "shorted" the power on pins in the F-Panel pin array. Again nothing.

Then it hits me, when in doubt, turn to the internet. So here I am. ANY help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Rowan