Integrated Graphics card upgrading to w/e i can

Blademaster

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: It does not really matter much, sometime this month or next month.
BUDGET RANGE: 1-150 USD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Starcraft 2 Full graphics would be nice, Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, and Rome Total war

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: As i said in the Topic, right now i have integrated graphics card and i don't know how to find out how large it is, it says its like 3GB but i think that is the memory filling in or something because i can't play SC2 on anything but low.
I need a new PSU as well, but right now its like 250 W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Quad-Core 2.95 Ghz no idea any more than that. 6GB DDR3 Memory and I don't know what my MotherBoard is.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I don't really care so long as its reliable.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Simple, this is my first time upgrading and i don't want to blow the computer up :p
So something that is PCI-E would be nice since i can jsut plug it in. Crossfire and all that i don't understand.

OVERCLOCKING:No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a 26" TV monitor made by Vizio. Other than that i don't know.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I looked this up and found this guidline, I hope i did it right if not ill remedy that if its pointed out. Thank you for your time.

~Blademaster

Solution
Hey so I stumbled upon this thread and figured id help. your motherboard does support a new graphics card. It has one pci express x16 which is the standard port for todays new cards. In you budget range and with the games you want to play, I would reccomend getting a radeon 5770. Its a good card but fairly cheap now. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product. Check the back of your computer and make sure you have room for a double profile card. This means it takes up two back panels as opposed to one like some other cards. The 5770 should be able to run starcraft most of all and the other games to what you need them to do. Hope this helps!

Blademaster

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Before you even think about a GPU you have to upgrade your power supply. A 450 W bronze rated PSU is what I'd consider minimum. For more help you should try to identify the mobo maker, model and give what PCIE version.

Never handle any internal components until you turn off the power, unplug the computer and wait at least 10, preferrably 30 seconds. Some mobos hold a charge and careless handling is a sure way to brick a computer.

Blademaster

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Chesteracorgi, Thanks for the fast response.
For a PSU i was thinking this one,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

It looks good to my inexperienced eye.

I do not know how to find the PCIE version. I did not even know there were different versions...
Please explain where i find this and ill get it asap.

The mobo i looked at and cannot find anything that says what it is, I might be just missing it but i have no idea what im looking for so that might be the big problem :)

Blademaster

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
According to CPU-Z My motherboard is made by FOXCONN and is Model number 2AB1.
I Do not know how to figure out the PCIe version, but i looked it up for a few hours and all i could find was that my AMD 785G Might have something to do with it. I don't know.

Thanks for your time,
Blademaster

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hey so I stumbled upon this thread and figured id help. your motherboard does support a new graphics card. It has one pci express x16 which is the standard port for todays new cards. In you budget range and with the games you want to play, I would reccomend getting a radeon 5770. Its a good card but fairly cheap now. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product. Check the back of your computer and make sure you have room for a double profile card. This means it takes up two back panels as opposed to one like some other cards. The 5770 should be able to run starcraft most of all and the other games to what you need them to do. Hope this helps!

Solution

ryan735

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Blademaster
I think I have the same problem as you with trying to play Just Cause 2 on my Toshiba windowns 7 i3 laptop with an integrated graphics card. Did this solution work? I'd like to know before buying.