Sign in with
Your question

TRYING TO GET THE MOST OUT OF MY I7-920

Last response: in Components
October 27, 2011 7:22:48 AM

hi. my name is new guy. i have an i7-920 fitted with a liquid one-piece CPU cooler the vantage a.l.c. (with the pretty screen). i also have an unnecessary 12gb of ram (i heard somewhere you only REALLY need 8). i also have the gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 motherboard, with 3 hard drives; running windows 7 IDE. the latest was a black caviar @ 1.5TB. i forgot to mention i have a SLI GTS 450 GPU configuration. i was wondering how i could make my computer run more efficiently? is RAID better/faster/more reliable than IDE, for my setup? also, is there something i missed with my setup that someone can spot? for example, bottlenecks, or incompatibilities? my nova bench was 958 and my windows experience is 5.9 cause of the hard drive. i'm too poor for a SSD. i just keep thinking that my computer isn't set up right. i just put this together like LEGO's. stupid, i know. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. I LOVE YOU. IF I WAS A HOT CHICK I'D MAKE OUT WITH ALL OF YOU.

More about : 920

a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2011 7:49:55 AM

Seems to me you have no reason to doubt your setup, other than a lack of experience. Do you have any proof that the system isn't running properly?

By the way, the i7-920 has triple-channel memory support, so 12GB is not wasted. Provided your OS is 64bit, that is.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2011 4:06:36 PM

lol. i'll try to relax. also, @Herr_Koos i do have a 64-bit windows, so that's good. :)  when i updated the BIOS from gigabyte i got the blue screen of death. what do you think happened? how often should i update the bios? again, thanks.
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:15:43 PM

you should not update the BIOS unless you are looking for a specific fix , to be safe .
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2011 5:45:33 PM

well with that cooler you should be able to overclock an i7-920 to about 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz roughly a 50%

increase in cpu speed
m
l
October 27, 2011 9:22:54 PM

youcanDUit said:
lol. i'll try to relax. also, @Herr_Koos i do have a 64-bit windows, so that's good. :)  when i updated the BIOS from gigabyte i got the blue screen of death. what do you think happened? how often should i update the bios? again, thanks.

you dont need to update your bios unless its buggy or you are looking for a new upgrade that only a later version of your bios supports, as for the i7 its perfectly fast( i have a 930 personally) but what i dont get is why did you get a 2 gt450's, if you had the money to get a i7 you should have got at least a 460. anyway, you shouldnt worry unless you're a heavy gamer tho. you can also speed up your system by getting a ssd as your os drive and to store your most frequently used programs as you will get a much more nippy and responsive system overall
m
l
October 28, 2011 4:31:54 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
well with that cooler you should be able to overclock an i7-920 to about 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz roughly a 50%

increase in cpu speed

will it lessen the life of my CPU? how do i do that? to overclock.
m
l
October 28, 2011 4:35:57 AM

megadelayed said:
you dont need to update your bios unless its buggy or you are looking for a new upgrade that only a later version of your bios supports, as for the i7 its perfectly fast( i have a 930 personally) but what i dont get is why did you get a 2 gt450's, if you had the money to get a i7 you should have got at least a 460. anyway, you shouldnt worry unless you're a heavy gamer tho. you can also speed up your system by getting a ssd as your os drive and to store your most frequently used programs as you will get a much more nippy and responsive system overall

what happened is that i had an HP an Elite Desktop and it blew up on me. there's a HUGE lawsuit against the faulty motherboards (manufactured by ASUS), long story short, i had a GTS450 so i took it out and bought another for 70 bucks. as for an upgrade, i'm going to wait it out. too expensive, especially the SSD's. i'm just a student. don't make much money.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 8:29:30 AM

youcanDUit said:
will it lessen the life of my CPU? how do i do that? to overclock.

it may shorten the life of it a bit--but are you still going to have that cpu in 5 years or so

the simplest way is to raise the bclk and drop the memory multiplier 1 step--that wont get you as far as 4ghz but should get you over the 3ghz mark

to get to 4ghz is more complicated on the 1st gen i7 not like sandybridge--but there are plenty of reviews telling you how to do it

this ones excellent--though you may need more than 1.25v i am using 1.3v for 4.2ghz

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 8:33:19 AM

You did not mention you PSU. There is no problem with the config as such. Only thing is you can get a better GPU!
m
l
October 28, 2011 12:32:37 PM

youcanDUit said:
what happened is that i had an HP an Elite Desktop and it blew up on me. there's a HUGE lawsuit against the faulty motherboards (manufactured by ASUS), long story short, i had a GTS450 so i took it out and bought another for 70 bucks. as for an upgrade, i'm going to wait it out. too expensive, especially the SSD's. i'm just a student. don't make much money.

you dont need a huge ssd , a 60gb would do fine for the os and some programs and they arent too terribly expensive, you can still use your hard drive for storage and it will improve your boot up time alot and your programs installed on the ssd will probably open instantly, but dont worry about your gpu too much as they should be still good enough for moderate gaming. as for the ocing there isnt really a point as although you will get a quite decent improvement, they wouldnt be noticeable unless you have something like a tri-sli 480 or above. i had my 930 to 4.2ghz with ht and turbo(4.4ghz most of the time) but after 2 months i returned it to stock as there isnt need for the overclock as the i7 was quick enough at stock and the extra heat and power consumption wasnt worth it, i'd probably oc it in the future tho, when it really becomes a bottleneck but atm, a stock i7 is still very good for nearly everything
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 12:40:01 PM

Dont know... but 60GB sometimes is too small. I have a 100GB partition for my Windows 7. With time the Windows partitions do bloat up with all the updates/temp files and all the stuff. So i think a 120GB SSD is the ideal for OS.
m
l
October 28, 2011 6:16:27 PM

2387198,11,518406 said:
You did not mention you PSU. There is no problem with the config as such. Only thing is you can get a better GPU![/quotemsg
my PSU is a 850W silverstone strider plus. i hope that's a good psu. lol.
m
l
October 28, 2011 6:23:24 PM

mcnumpty23 said:

increase in cpu speed

lol. i just found out how to overclock. i clocked it to 3.0Ghz. i'm comfortable with that speed at the moment. my temp never goes above 80^oF. maybe i'll clock some more as soon as midterms are done. lol.
m
l
October 28, 2011 6:25:04 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Dont know... but 60GB sometimes is too small. I have a 100GB partition for my Windows 7. With time the Windows partitions do bloat up with all the updates/temp files and all the stuff. So i think a 120GB SSD is the ideal for OS.

lol. the whole GPU scene scares me. prices keep changing and cards keep coming out. i'm too poor for a new GPU. i would like one though. a sexy GTX590 would be awesome. lol.
m
l
October 28, 2011 6:35:49 PM

megadelayed said:
you dont need a huge ssd , a 60gb would do fine for the os and some programs and they arent too terribly expensive, you can still use your hard drive for storage and it will improve your boot up time alot and your programs installed on the ssd will probably open instantly, but dont worry about your gpu too much as they should be still good enough for moderate gaming. as for the ocing there isnt really a point as although you will get a quite decent improvement, they wouldnt be noticeable unless you have something like a tri-sli 480 or above. i had my 930 to 4.2ghz with ht and turbo(4.4ghz most of the time) but after 2 months i returned it to stock as there isnt need for the overclock as the i7 was quick enough at stock and the extra heat and power consumption wasnt worth it, i'd probably oc it in the future tho, when it really becomes a bottleneck but atm, a stock i7 is still very good for nearly everything

i just clocked the cpu to 3.0 ghz and it's really fast. a huge difference, even in benchmarks. lol. as for the SSD, the prices are dwindling. i'll wait till christmas. lol.
m
l
October 28, 2011 7:07:07 PM

if i could afford it i would.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 8:49:17 PM

youcanDUit said:
lol. i just found out how to overclock. i clocked it to 3.0Ghz. i'm comfortable with that speed at the moment. my temp never goes above 80^oF. maybe i'll clock some more as soon as midterms are done. lol.

its nice to get extra performance without paying out :D  :D 

3.4ghz to 3.6ghz is a walk in the park on these cpus 3.8ghz to 4.2 ghz is the serious stuff

80 f is really good temperature if i worked it out right in my head thats only 26c or there abouts

so keep on overclocking :D  :D 
m
l
October 29, 2011 4:22:59 PM

youcanDUit said:
i just clocked the cpu to 3.0 ghz and it's really fast. a huge difference, even in benchmarks. lol. as for the SSD, the prices are dwindling. i'll wait till christmas. lol.

lol try to hit 200bclk then you'll have a 4ghz cpu, most i7 920 D0's can do this but if your happy with your performance, then you can just leave it at that :D 

as for the ssd just get it when you can afford it, not a rush unless your current hdd is drastic atm
m
l
!