Difference between i5 and i3, gaming performance?

How much difference is their between the i5 2300 and the i3 2100 in gaming performance?

I intend to play BF3 and Skyrim when they come out in the UK, what difference in performance will there be between these CPU's if they used the same graphics card?

Please don't advise me to get a AMD processor because i have been very disapointed with them lately.
23 answers Last reply
More about difference gaming performance
  1. This is the difference between the disappointing Amd cpu and the 2600k for BF3

  2. mjwhelan said:
    How much difference is their between the i5 2300 and the i3 2100 in gaming performance?

    I intend to play BF3 and Skyrim when they come out in the UK, what difference in performance will there be between these CPU's if they used the same graphics card?

    Please don't advise me to get a AMD processor because i have been very disapointed with them lately.


    Get a quad core. The i5 is a quad core. The i3 is a dual core. It will be worth getting the quad core, especially for gaming. Skyrim and BF are both optimised for Quad cores.
  3. Whats your native btw?

    The Core i3-2100 outperformed the 965 in some games
    have a look here
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/59

    heres another pit it against the 2400 couldnt find the 2300 on the list
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=363&i=327.328.329.330.331.332.333.2.5.3.4.6.25.26.27.28.29.30.31.32.33.34.35.36.37.38.39.40.41.42.43.45.46.53.54.55.60.61.62.129.336.64.335.50.49.48
  4. The i5 will do better in most newer games, ESPECIALLY BF3.
  5. In the UK the 2100 is £95 the 2300 is £141.99 which in my opinion is not worth it if you think there is then the 2500 is £160.67 and the 2500K is £171.88 which are better still. It depends also on what GPU you have and what res. you play at. For example if you game at 1920x1080 and have a radeon 6850 or less then nearly all games will be more limited by the GPU and there will be little or no difference between the CPUs, but if you have 2 x 6870s in crossfire then you will want an overclocked 2500K to get the most from them.
  6. simon12 said:
    In the UK the 2100 is £95 the 2300 is £141.99 which in my opinion is not worth it if you think there is then the 2500 is £160.67 and the 2500K is £171.88 which are better still. It depends also on what GPU you have and what res. you play at. For example if you game at 1920x1080 and have a radeon 6850 or less then nearly all games will be more limited by the GPU and there will be little or no difference between the CPUs, but if you have 2 x 6870s in crossfire then you will want an overclocked 2500K to get the most from them.



    i have just bought a brand new i3 2100 for £65, is this good.
  7. Seriously good where from?
  8. simon12 said:
    Seriously good where from?


    i was lucky i offered someone on Ebay £65 for a brand new unopened i3 2100, and they excepted. there are others but they are around £90
  9. i hear (from friends) the performance of the i3 2100 is as good and most of the time better than a AMD 955 BE for playing games and general use. is this so?
  10. Yes it is, generally the 955BE needs to get over 3.7GHz to match the i3.
  11. simon12 said:
    Yes it is, generally the 955BE needs to get over 3.7GHz to match the i3.


    what sort performance would i expect on a 20" monitor with 1600x900 resolution?
  12. Depends on what graphics card you have.
  13. simon12 said:
    Depends on what graphics card you have.


    6770 or GTD 450
  14. Read this and note a 6770 is the same as a 5770
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,review-32308-8.html
    As you can see the 6770 is better than the 450
  15. simon12 said:
    Read this and note a 6770 is the same as a 5770
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,review-32308-8.html
    As you can see the 6770 is better than the 450


    so would i get fps of 40-50 with gts 450 on bf3 with a resolution of 1600x900, being played on medium setting and with out a ssd?
    or is this way to ambishus?

    or could i get fps of 40-50 with a 6770 with the same setting and hardware?
  16. There are no tests at medium settings so its hard to say but based on the high results I would guess around 40-45 on the 450 and 50-55 with the 6770. An SSD will not increase the FPS just make it load quicker.
  17. simon12 said:
    There are no tests at medium settings so its hard to say but based on the high results I would guess around 40-45 on the 450 and 50-55 with the 6770. An SSD will not increase the FPS just make it load quicker.


    they seem reasonable frames for budget cards, i am not a massive pc gamers so i wont need massive fps.

    how many watts would a PSU need to power my possible future system,
    i3 2100
    6770
    dvd drive
    Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
    4gbs of ddr3 g-skill
    2x 500gb hard drives 7200rpm
    6x 120/140 fans

    550w or 600w?
  18. AMD recommend a 450W which as long as its a good make should be more than enough. Don't get a cheap no name brand though as I had a 700W one that could only really supply around 300W and they can die and destroy the rest of your components at the same time. I always get Corsair or Antec but XFX and anything Seasonic are good to.
  19. simon12 said:
    AMD recommend a 450W which as long as its a good make should be more than enough. Don't get a cheap no name brand though as I had a 700W one that could only really supply around 300W and they can die and destroy the rest of your components at the same time. I always get Corsair or Antec but XFX and anything Seasonic are good to.



    so i wont need a 700w like this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/219541-xenta-700w-12cm-fan-psu-1x-pci-e-2x-sata-kk9966-750p

    what about this 550w http://www.ebuyer.com/254075-xenta-550w-psu-12cm-fan-atx-550w

    the 700w has really good reviews.
  20. Don't buy a Xenta or and power supply that gives you no information on how many amps it can supply on the 12V rail or rails, the cheapest I would consider is http://www.ebuyer.com/271798-corsair-430w-v2-cx-series-psu-cmpsu-430cxv2uk or even safer http://www.ebuyer.com/278634-corsair-500w-cx-v2-psu-cmpsu-500cxv2uk
    If you can't afford the extra £10-15 for a decent PSU you can't afford it when it kills your motherboard. Xenta don't even seem to have there own website to get any specs from.
  21. simon12 said:
    Don't buy a Xenta or and power supply that gives you no information on how many amps it can supply on the 12V rail or rails, the cheapest I would consider is http://www.ebuyer.com/271798-corsair-430w-v2-cx-series-psu-cmpsu-430cxv2uk or even safer http://www.ebuyer.com/278634-corsair-500w-cx-v2-psu-cmpsu-500cxv2uk
    If you can't afford the extra £10-15 for a decent PSU you can't afford it when it kills your motherboard. Xenta don't even seem to have there own website to get any specs from.


    its quite annoying, but it makes sense. i have know put the 500w on to my list of parts, i hope it offers enought watts.
    will it have enought cables for all my parts? and graphics card?
  22. If you mean the Corsair 500W I recommended it will definitely have enough power and has the following connectors

    Cable Connectors:
    20+4pin power
    5x SATA
    2x 6pin PCI-Express
    4x 4pin molex
    1x floppy

    The only one that may be short is if you want to connect all 6 fans to Molex you will need a splitter but most fans have an in and out so in theory you can connect them all to 1 molex connector.
  23. mjwhelan said:
    how many watts would a PSU need to power my possible future system,
    i3 2100
    6770
    dvd drive
    Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
    4gbs of ddr3 g-skill
    2x 500gb hard drives 7200rpm
    6x 120/140 fans



    You can run that system on a good quality 400w PSU. I generally recommend a 500w PSU by Seasonic for you build. They make high quality PSUs and 500w and should give you pretty good headroom to upgrade your entire PC later.

    Other PSU brand names that I would recommend are Corsair, XFX PC Power & Cooling, Eneramx, OCZ and Antec. The quality can vary between models.

    Most people do not need a PSU in excess of 650w unless two video card are used in SLI or Crossfire.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i5 Gaming