Why is my wireless speed dropping

ruscki

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Hello, I don't know if you guys want me to write a novel on kind of problems I've had so i just give brief run down and go from there.
I originally a dlink rangebososter n desktop adapter {dwa-542) and a wireless dlink router (dir-655) everything worked find got top speeds and things started going to *** after about 7 months constant disconnects reboots and resets to both router and adapter. Then i thought aww maybe old drivers on both of them well i updated the adapter first then thats when it just crashed and couldn't even detect a network 5 feet from it. after a year of banning my head i got a Netgear range max pci adapter (wn311b) and at first everything seem to work fine and then my roommates started to see slower connections and i started to have my connection drop. The dlink router within a month became a female except it would have 2 periods per month. So i tried messing with settings got it next to perfect again and my netger adapter went out on me again now i cant even use the software that came with it says can not detect netgear router when i load it. So just goes through my Windows Vista Ultimate system. So my last hope ditch effort was to get the best router on the market or so i thought. I went out and spent $180 On a Netgear WNDR37ANV but for some reason it says when ever i log in that its a WNDR3700. So the internet seems to work somewhat now. But my roomate that has usb belkin router is getting upto 20mbs/ down and about almost 3mbs up on speedtest.net and im 40 ft closer to the router and im lucky to get 1.8 mbs down and .22mbs up speeds. Just a head up Sorry if i didnt make to much since just woke up when i started righting this and i hope you didn't fall asleep reading it. P L E A S E H E L P before i take all my electronics outside and start up a fireing squad

G

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel at least 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter.

ruscki

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
well i have a bunch of systems connected to it and the last thing i forgot to add was that the router i just bought 2 days ago for some odd reason the imac comp cant connect to it and cant detect the modem when connect with a wire??? And how is it that people are at longer distances then me have better speeds but as far as connections i have all 5 bars.

G

The Netgear Router's firmware is for the 3700 series -- the other letters in the name probably refer to the market it's packaged for.

There are frequently issues with connecting Macs to non-Apple routers by wireless. Some seem to come down to simple matters of terminology. Try disabling wireless security in the router which usually fixes it -- then you have to figure which of the names Apple uses for wireless security types, coincides with the industry standard naming used by all the main router manufacturers.

As for connecting by wire that should not be problematic -- presumably you have read the router manual -- if not it should be on the CD which came in the box or can be downloaded from Netgear. In it (and probably in the quick start leaflet) it will describe how to address the router's user setup screens via a browser by putting the router's default IP address in the browser address bar. Most Netgears are at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

ruscki

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
The Netgear Router's firmware is for the 3700 series -- the other letters in the name probably refer to the market it's packaged for.

There are frequently issues with connecting Macs to non-Apple routers by wireless. Some seem to come down to simple matters of terminology. Try disabling wireless security in the router which usually fixes it -- then you have to figure which of the names Apple uses for wireless security types, coincides with the industry standard naming used by all the main router manufacturers.

As for connecting by wire that should not be problematic -- presumably you have read the router manual -- if not it should be on the CD which came in the box or can be downloaded from Netgear. In it (and probably in the quick start leaflet) it will describe how to address the router's user setup screens via a browser by putting the router's default IP address in the browser address bar. Most Netgears are at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

192.168.0.1 is dlink. Netgear standart is 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.com one of those two. The reason it wasn't connection hardwire was the routers firmware had a problem all i had to do is update it. Now as far as compatibility issues by being a mac its one built to work with mac and I have had a lot less problems with apple computers when it come to networking thing windows. My conclusion is that Comcast is have the difficulties. Since between switching adapters and switching routers (to quality stuff not cheap stuff) it would be logical to say that its Comcast having issues. Since it could go a week and work next to perfect and then not work out of the blue with nothing changing. So besides checking the basics which i already have do you have any advice on how to make sure its Comcast not my set up. :heink:

G

@ ruscki "192.168.0.1 is dlink. Netgear standart is 192.168.1.1"

Really ?

I must remember to tell my Netgear DG834GT, Netgear MR814 and Netgear DG834 versions 3 and 5.

TRENDING THREADS