Sign in with
Your question

Time to rebuild?

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2011 9:47:58 PM

have a 6-7 year old system, had been stable for years, over time i upgraded video, processor, added memory all was well.

installed win7 64 and added another drive.

current e6700 dual core, 4x2 mem for 8 gig, geforce 8800 video, a network card (on-board fried) 1 2TB and 3 2TB drives and a Lite-on 120 DVD, 650watt antec PS and Gigabyte MB.

system died before lunch, shut itself off. when i tried to boot it it dies in the bios at the memtest, i cannot exit into the bios, it just dies and sits at MEMT doesn't even finish MEMTEST

time to scrap and rebuild? PS MB CPU and Mem?

any ideas.

kindly,

Bill

More about : time rebuild

July 29, 2011 9:58:11 PM

Yeah I would go ahead and build a new system. Salvage what you can from you old pc.
July 31, 2011 4:53:39 AM

bill vann said:
have a 6-7 year old system, had been stable for years, over time i upgraded video, processor, added memory all was well.

installed win7 64 and added another drive.

current e6700 dual core, 4x2 mem for 8 gig, geforce 8800 video, a network card (on-board fried) 1 2TB and 3 2TB drives and a Lite-on 120 DVD, 650watt antec PS and Gigabyte MB.

system died before lunch, shut itself off. when i tried to boot it it dies in the bios at the memtest, i cannot exit into the bios, it just dies and sits at MEMT doesn't even finish MEMTEST

time to scrap and rebuild? PS MB CPU and Mem?

any ideas.

kindly,

Bill

Yeah, I would rebuild. Unfortunately, because it's older, if you replace one thing you have to replace everything else, because it won't be compatible with the mobo, and then when you replace the mobo, nothing else will be compatible anymore. Looks like you have good HDDs, as long as they're SATA you should be good with them.
!