Computer Not Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello,

My PC is not booting up since two days. I didn't install any hardware or software before this started happening. I opened up my case and here is what I can see:

1. Motherboard LED is on.
2. I checked the RAM, and it is working.
3. CPU fan running normally.
4. No beeps.
5. PSU fan NOT starting.
6. CD-ROM LED blinking.
7. No display whatsoever.

Surprisingly, I could boot-up my PC once after numerous attempts and it was working perfectly. But that's about it.

Also, I can see a fair amount of dust build-up on the PSU fan. Does this mean my PSU might be damaged? How can I check if it's damaged?

Motherboard: Intel D946GZIS
PSU: 300watt generic
CPU: Intel Core2Duo

I hope I have covered the information required to diagnose the error without wasting your time. Thank you.

Solution
PSU needs a replacement. Its going out the door, and that is why you are having problems. Look at getting something around 500W, like an Antec Earthwatt, a Corsair, OCZ, or PC Power & Cooling.

Generally, it's a corrupt operating system. Doing the REPAIR install will usually fix the problem without erasing the personal files or programs.
But what OS do you have? The REPAIR depends on the operating system.
RE-POST this question in TOM'S forum, that is the correct forum for your operating system.

CLOGGED CPU heatsink, filled with dust or dirt, will cause problems, but not the problem that you describe.
More than likely, a REPAIR install will fix the boot problem.
YES for sure, CLEAN the CPU heatsink and fan. But that will not make the computer boot!

OPEN your bios settings, and check the power supply readings, BEFORE you race out and buy a new power supply. STOP assuming the power supply is bad until you have verified the problem. Many newer and older units will READ the voltages, when you open this bios set up.

MOST of the time, it's an update, that has corrupted the video driver, and stops the computer from booting. A REPAIR install fixes this easily.

I had the exact same symptoms recently. I would have to hit the power button like 30 times to start my PSU. Once I did that, everything would work perfectly until I turned it off again then I would have to hit it 30 more times to turn it on.

I came to the conclusion that my PSU was worn out and I am currently replacing it.

If you wait around for a few days, I can tell you if it works or not. I expect delivery in under a week.

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for all the replies.

But if this is the case then my PC should never boot. As I mentioned in my post, it did boot once and thereafter it was working perfectly. After shutting it down, it's not booting up again. I didn't install any update or any software prior to this problem. I have WinXP SP3.

Also, I cannot access BIOS settings. When I switch-on the PC, just the keyboard LEDs light up, CD-ROM LED starts blinking continuously, the CPU fan starts running and that's about it.

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks again. I'll buy a new PSU then. Is there anything else I should maybe try before going out and buying a new PSU, or are the symptoms crystal clear?

There isn't anything that you really CAN try because it works.

There is no test that you can do to prove it doesn't work.

All you can really do is try to replace parts to see which one is sometimes working and sometimes not.

All signs point to the PSU, which is also why I am replacing that part first.

Doesn't get much clearer then no fan start and no boot.
What budget do you have for a new unit? you don't have to spend alot $40 or less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=36517&vpn=BP350&manufacture=Antec
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=30144&vpn=SS%2D350ET&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
casualbuilder, davcon, Raiddinn, davedurg09, delluser1, soundguruman.

I really appreciate that you took the time to reply to my post.

I'll replace my PSU and post the results for someone having the same problem in the future.

Thank you.

Np hope you're up and running soon:)

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
So, replaced the PSU and my PC is up and running.

On a side note, I realized that my Nvidia 8600 GT Fan is not running. How long can my Card last now? Can the fan be repaired? Not doing anything that is GPU intensive these days.

Thank you.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Download MSI Afterburner and watch your temps while gaming. If these temps are approaching 90c, i would recommend giving your system a break. A lot of cards though run on fanless HeatSinks. If your gpu has a shroud over it, i would remove the shroud to help the HeatSinks cool off faster.

Healy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thank you once again, casualbuilder.

I did a stress test on the GPU and the temperature did not cross 85C after 10min.

Does a GPU fan start running on boot or does it run only when required?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
if you have the fan on "Auto" through MSI Burner, it will turn on when the card gets too hot for it to perform. I like to keep either a steady 40%-65% range on it, or there is a way to set it depending on varying load %'s. This is a little more for people who care about noise. I dont, so i set it in the range i gave, and let it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.