Sign in with
Your question

Asrock 970 extreme4 dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2012 12:59:40 PM

Hello, This morning i tried to start my pc and nothing happened, no beeps no spinning fans, nothing. I checked that the power switch button worked with a multimeter, i tried another power cable, i started the PSU outside the computer and the fan started spinning, but when i re-assembled the computer and tried to start it again nothing happened, its dead as a rock.

Specs:
Asrock 970 extreme4
AMD phenom 2 X4 960T
4Gb of a good brand RAM just cant remember the brand.
Palit GTS 450
Chieftec A80 450W

The computer had worked perfectly from since i built it last christmas, apart from a few BSODs.
July 25, 2012 1:47:32 PM

I just tested with another PSU and still nothing.
July 27, 2012 2:59:25 PM

Probably a stupid question, but do you have it properly mounted on the motherboard standoffs? Is it shorting out inside the case?
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:59:41 PM

Yes i have it mounted on the standoffs, altough it lacks one standoff but that shouldnt matter, right? Also it has ran for 6 months without any problems. Could the problem be that it was fried by a electricity spike?
July 30, 2012 11:18:36 AM

I will RMA the thing, but could it have fried because the computer was connected to a ungrounded outlet? There are no grounded outlets in the house anywhere except 1 in the kitchen and other one for stove.
December 7, 2012 8:00:39 PM

overheat said:
Hello, This morning i tried to start my pc and nothing happened, no beeps no spinning fans, nothing. I checked that the power switch button worked with a multimeter, i tried another power cable, i started the PSU outside the computer and the fan started spinning, but when i re-assembled the computer and tried to start it again nothing happened, its dead as a rock.

Specs:
Asrock 970 extreme4
AMD phenom 2 X4 960T
4Gb of a good brand RAM just cant remember the brand.
Palit GTS 450
Chieftec A80 450W

The computer had worked perfectly from since i built it last christmas, apart from a few BSODs.

Hi !

Pull out the Motherboard and place on your mobo box with foam cushion. Connect only the PS2 (mouse & keyboard), Video card, CPU & fan, and Ram. Make sure that the cables for the 20+4 pin and the 8 pin 12volt and the 6/8 pin to video card are pushed in all the way. Push the built in Power switch and you should have power to all components.
If not then wiggle the wires on the 4 pin of the 24 pin cable.Happened to me 3 times.
Did it yesterday. Also invest in an actual LCD power supply tester for about 20 bucks to verify that all the voltages 3.3-5-12 are within spec.Do this first.

If you don't have keyboard use or video , remove ram from A1 & B1(Blue Slots) and put 1 stick in slot 4 (B2-white), reboot, and see if it works. If not try the other stick. I almost did a out of warranty RMA (Big bucks) after an electrical storm. By Removing ram from the blue slots made the bios re-inialize from scratch. Then bios and everything worked fine. I do use an APC UPS on all computers but it still happened.

If not then good luck with the RMA
December 15, 2012 9:05:29 AM

Hi.

The motherboard RMA was accepted and i was sent a new one, now that other six months have passed the new motherboard is dead with the exact same circumstances, i have tried different PSUs and i have tried booting it with or without different parts but nothing works, no response from the board whatever i do.

Im going to RMA this board too, i hope the one they send me this time wont break after six months of use.
!