Sign in with
Your question

PINNACLE TV TUNER and Windows 7 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2011 3:09:00 PM

Hello all:
I have a Pinnacle PCTV USB tv tuner, which I have had for ages (1998, I guess). I have been struggling to make it work in my Windows systems, with some sort of success, until XP. I now have Windows 7/64 but there is no way I can manage to use it because there are no drivers for 64 bits Windows. I've been successful in making it work in Ubuntu 11.04, so there is no problem with the hardware. One can say "get a new tv tuner", but I feel this is kind of a challenge for me.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

More about : pinnacle tuner windows

a b x TV
May 24, 2011 6:06:13 PM

This is one way of making use buy the new hardware. I have old ATI tuners and old webcams that run on XP. The hardware is good but ATI, Logtech, and Microsoft did not issue a driver for it beyong windows XP.

I have those hardware retired.

Linux normally has driver for old stuff. In most cases Linux is also late on new hardware
m
l
May 24, 2011 8:37:41 PM

Thank you for your response, leon2006. I will take your opinion in consideration. There is something I also would like to ask. VLC has its on codecs for audio. Does VLC need the hardware drivers for hardware devices, such as the tv tuner?
Thank you. Hope you can help.
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
May 24, 2011 9:03:39 PM

VLC does not control the hardware, it talks to Windows which does. So Windows needs the drivers loaded for VLC to talk to to anything. The codecs the program has are to read and interpet files. Basically, the program will say "I want this data to read from the card", Windows will say "Device Driver, tell the card to do what it needs to to get me Data 1 for the player", Device Driver will say "Card, do this function, and get me the output" then will say to Windows "here is the output", then the player will get that from Windows and decode the media using the codec it has for that type of file. Hope that expalined things a bit for you.

It will play any video already captured on the computer, but if you want to use the card with VLC to watch something live (although I don't even know if it has that option since I have never used it for that), you will need to have the drivers loaded for the card first.
m
l
May 25, 2011 3:45:50 PM

Thank you hang-the-9 for you comprehensive response. That is exactly whar I wanted to know..... So.... I guess I would have to go for the "Buy new hardware" option.

And yes, one can watch tv on VLC, I did it in XP. You can even broadcast to the network....
m
l
May 25, 2011 3:54:41 PM

Thank you hang-the-9 for you comprehensive response. That is exactly whar I wanted to know..... So.... I guess I would have to go for the "Buy new hardware" option.

And yes, one can watch tv on VLC, I did it in XP. You can even broadcast to the network....
m
l
June 7, 2011 2:16:21 AM

You could try using Oracle Virtual Box to create a Windows XP virtual machine then use the TV tuner from within the Virtual Machine to capture your video

Would be a good learning experience if you never have done it before and Virtual Box is a free download from Oracle site.

I use a XP Pro VM all the time for surfing the web and trying out old hardware
I havent tried doing tv video capture yet but I am going to try it with my Ati Theater 550 pro PCI card
The card works fine in Win7 Ultimate 64bit with Power Director 9 but
I want to try from withing the VM for the experience myself

the ATI 550 pro is cheap on Ebay USA ($20) and does the job though it doesnt have composite yellow RCA video in which is lame but I can live without it (would of been nice for other devices)

I used the Vista 64bit driver in Win7 64bit and worked fine
usually a Vista 64bit driver will work in Win7
m
l
June 14, 2011 2:15:58 AM

Thank you for your reply, king smp. I have already tried your suggestion in the past. I ran a Windows 2000 VM and the configuration went as a charm. However, I wasn't able to scan channels or watch any images inside the VM. I suppose I will by a new card after all. Thank you again for your time.
Greetings.
m
l
June 14, 2011 3:31:18 AM

Good to know
I have used the ATI 550 pro PCI,Hauppage PCI and Hauppage USB.
both companies ATI and Hauppage make a good product.
Just FYI
Let us know which one you bought or if you need help deciding

I usually ask the members on here before I buy something.
Good to have real world experiences
m
l
a b x TV
June 14, 2011 5:12:53 PM

Get hauppage 2250...~ 3 years back i evaluated all available HD TV tuner for PC (PCI/PCIE)...

2250 hardware and Software is the best for XP, Vista, W7. It works well with media center or you can use hauppage WinTv software.

I use mine as PVR and DVR in both HD and non-HD mode.

ATI 650 PCI/PCIE has hardware issues and software issues w/ Vista and W7. The hardware is prone to failure. ATI replaced my card 3x. I parked that card and replaced it w/ 2250.

Pinnacle HD Tuner are great when the software works. Their updates are verly slow to come by.

I tried Hauppage 1600, 1800, 2250... For ATI i tried 650 PCI/PCIE, ATI 600... I also tried Pinnacle and other less know brands.

ATI originally came out as $149.99 HD Tuner... W/ all the hardware and software issues about that product it now sells for $29.99. Its a bad product.

m
l
!