• It is OK

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • It is horrible

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • It is such a POS that I want to throw my computer out the window

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
G

I virtualized it for 2 days and then deleted the piece of ***, definitely going to skip 8.

it's ok.

After a little while, you get use to the metro style apps. Only major thing thats been annoying is graphic driver updates though Microsoft update for my laptop. (intel 965 express chipset).

Have to use an older driver from windows 7 to get things working properly such games.

Yea I find it quite annoying I wont go as far as the last poster says and say it will be useless without the start bar but I definitly was used to the start bar and liked it so I will miss it. I also installed Server 8 and it uses Metro also but not in the same way. I think it could be useful in server you put all your admin tools in metro and whenever you need to do admin work just pop over to Metro keep all those anoying xxx.msc junk in catagories and labeled so you remember what they all do LOL...

Thent

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Windows 8 takes a little getting use to, but it's very promising.

I'm 'excited'... and want an Ultrabook II with touch screen & Windows 8.

For the desktop:
So far I like it. I always hated the start menu, and the charms menu does everything I used the start menu for in the first place (shutdown and control panel), and it stays out of the way. All the programs I use regularly are pinned to the superbar, and to find programs I don't normally use I just hit the windows key and start typing. Metro is OK, but not great (some of the apps like social take forever to load for no apparent reason). But I generally do not use metro, and it stays out of the way, so I could care less about it. It runs all of my video and audio editing software perfectly, and actually fixed a few features in Audition v1.5 that did not work quite right in win7. I also love the detail available in the new task manager, and the graphs for file copies (really points out the bottlenecks of the system for future upgrades). Will I purchase it for my desktop? Probably not, as I already have win7 and win8 does not add any particular functionality that I cannot live without like there was going from XP to 7. But I do like the direction MS is moving, and may move on up to win9 if they continue to build on the progress they are making in 8.

For the touch-screen netbook:
I LOVE it! The touch capability is really where win8 shines! I got a EeePC T101MT for free over the summer (client broke it and gave it to me to tinker with... it was still under warranty and ASUS was kind enough to send me a new one :) ), and win7 was useless in tablet mode (well... not useless... just not very good). In Win8 i can go full tablet mode all the time if I wanted, but having the keys and mice are still handy when I need to do 'real' work on it (some audio recording and cleanup, and the occasional typing of documents). Due to resolution restraints on the netbook the metro apps simply will not run, but as I don't use them it is no big deal. I will try to go back to 7 after the customer preview expires, but I may buy win8 for it simply for the much improved touch screen capability.

Well I haven't tried it out yet....however I kind of don't like the look of it. I know you can change back to the classic view - however Windows 7 has been phenomenal for me so far.

I think for me - Windows 7 is the new XP and windows 8 kind of reminds me of Windows ME - however without the truely crappiness of Windows ME (almost useless).

I think Windows 8 will be great for tablets though, with the metro interface.

Didn't vote.
My take.
Unless there is a work-a-round for requiring "logging in" to the Net ( I have a good feeling that this will be fixed in the RTM version) will be a killer for many.
.. If you like the Ipad, will probably love, O wait I have an Ipad, don't need an emulator.
.. Need to make Power off more readily accessable.
.. Love the faster Boot time, about 10 sec for my SB notebook vs about 15 Sec for Win 7. This is NOT a deal maker for me as 5 sec - NO Biggy.

On problem I have ( My system/install I sure ), but when I reboot back to windows 7 The system has to run check disk!!!
... Loaded wind 8 with win 7 SSD disconnected.
... Laptop does not have a Hot key to select boot device (At least I've not been able to find), so have to go into bios to select which one to boot and/or change to the other OS.
One BIG negative for Samsung RF-711 and could probably be fixed with a simple bios revision.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
only thing i like about w8 is wddm 1.2 (mainly improved gpu recovery) and seamless network detection/switching

metro ui was completely uncalled for in desktop environment

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I voted OK; however, I have not had all that much time to look at it. If it is possible to group apps in the metro start screen, then I could see adjusting to it as a desktop OS.

As I see it, it does not seem to be a must have upgrade. I'm planning another system build later this year; however, I want to build before 8 is scheduled to release. If I purchase 7 and there is a free upgrade to 8, I may go for it; otherwise, I may wait until the Win whatever is beyond 8.

While I do not think metro is needed for the desktop, it does present apps in a fashion that makes it easier to find them and start them. This is handy, but not necessary. Finding apps was easy enough to do in 7. What would be "ideal" for 8, as I see it, would be if you can group apps in the "start screen" and then put each group in a separate page with 1 page per screen so that you could scroll through each page by a l - r (or r - l) swipe.

Most of M$ default apps I would probably delete or uninstall.

And lastly, I will never, ever, ever use user account management that is based off using a log on to any M$ site. IMHO, that is requesting identity theft. Syncing files should be easily done on any local network or local connection like USB - perhaps through a "sync" browser.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I rated as OK. I really like the new OS and Metro on my desktop. The OS runs quick and snappy. I wish the Metro UI was a bit more customizeable....backgrounds, more tile size options and better placement capabilities. But I like the concept and execusion so far. Moving between Metro and the desktop has become a lot less annoying now that I've been using it for a couple weeks. Plus with second monitor I always have the desktop up. Sure it took a while to get used to the functionality but now that part is past, this OS is fast and simple to use. Look and feel is very clean. So far so good.

Captain Kirk

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

I know in Windows Evaluation Build 7989 aka Windows 8 Pre Beta you can turn off that metro GUI and have it setup just like Windows 7 but with a Fish @ the login screen is this true for windows 8 Official Beta RC ?

9havi9

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
IMO, Its just not suited for desktops. I mean it seems great for netbooks tablets and phones. My screens sit back on my desk, and even if i had touchscreens i would not want to lean way over to use it. Windows 8 seems geared for touchscreens. The metro ui meshed with aero is just horrible seems like i have less control over my applications and programs don't wanna shut down easily. If its true you can shutoff metro gui then i retract my previous statement.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I voted for the best thing since sliced bread. I've been a long time user of Windows and for the most part have loved it since window's 98....including vista (yeah I know I'm one of the few that liked vista). I absolutely loved Window 7 and Windows 8 just makes it better for me. And yes, I have it installed on my desktop pc.

I don't have a touch screen or pad on my desktop. But I'm thinking of buying a touch screen in the future....if I can only find a good 3d touch screen that is....or hopefully they will give us a kinnect that will work with the os.

After reading a lot of users comments I've come to realize that 1. People are not giving it a good try. 2. If they do give it a good try they are doing it in virtualization - which is a poor experience regardless. 3. Are stuck in the restrictive paradigm of the hierarchical start menu. 4. don't understand how Metro aps are supposed to work. 5. would rather have the status quo then embrace truly innovative change.

Giving it a good try means using the os for more then a couple of hours. Don't give up on it just because it doesn't have a start menu...it's there but disguised as the metro ui which is far superior to the start menu. From what I've seen, people who stick with the OS end up finding that they are more productive once they figure out the nuances of the Metro UI.

My issues with most criticisms are everyone thinks they need a start button. Back in Windows 3.0 and 3.1/3.11 work groups, we never had the start button. It was first introduced in Windows 95. And in it's first incarnation was just a nested menu structure that really made no sense. It was stuck in a hieracrhial menu structure that was (on install) based on the vendor. If you tried to personalize it by say creating a folder for types of programs, you would be stuck with broken links when you uninstalled a program. And finding a program was usually a long drawn out process that might work for you but was confusing to anyone else who used the computer. Vista gave us the start icon with the word start. And it gave us better groupings for documents, games, control panel, network, etc. But we were still stuck with programs being grouped by vendor. And if we did create more personal groupings, we would still be stuck with broken links. Windows 7 wasn't much of an upgrade on the start menu, except we lost the word start...which we didn't even have back in windows 3/3.11.

Windows 8 is changing the whole start menu. In the previews we don't have a start icon. It's just a hotspot in the lower left hand corner. When you install a program all the icons are dropped on the metro UI and you can arrange it as you wish. You can group them, order them, pin and unpin them. Your start menu just became unlimited and now has updatable tiles for metro aps. Simply by changing the orientation for a vertical hierarchy to a horizontal 1 level hierarchy, Microsoft made finding your programs much easier. You can group them, order them how you wish. Remove the useless links from the "Menu", and add links to folders and files if you need. I've seen a lot of complaints about the mouse wheel. Metro Apps are designed to flow horizontally, not vertically. So when in the metro UI or App, your scroll wheel goes left to right instead of top to bottom. When you are in an x86 app, the wheel scrolls from top to bottom. It's execution is brilliant since the new defacto standard for lcd displays is widescreen. When I want to check my email, or load a program I haven't already, all I need to go is click on the bottom left corner and the app I want has a tile right there. Click on it and boom I am in Quicken, or playing a game, or checking the control panel.

For those that complain about the size of some the metro icons...you can change the size. Just right click on the icon and select the smaller tile. And while speaking about the Metro Apps, they are not designed to shut down. Most are centered around live feeds. Facebook feeds, email feeds, news/weather feeds. Alt-Tab still works to change focus, and if you want to minimize it, just drag your mouse from top to bottom. If the app is not used for a certain amount of time it is suspended. I have not experienced any issues because a metro app is still loaded. And memory is dirt cheap....I went from 8 meg on my old box to 32meg. And if it really is a problem, I'm sure that a killapp app will be done by some third party vendor like there is for android.

Metro apps are designed to take up the whole screen. It's the only way to provide some sort of consistency between phones, tab's, xbox, and desktops. And I like the unified interface. I know how an app will look and work regardless if I use the ap on xbox, a phone, a tablet, or my desktop.

Another complaint that I've seen is the requirement to have a windows live ID. I've had a Hotmail account since the late 90's, and it transferred over to xBox live. With SkyDrive I can synch all my documents, links, and aps across multiple devices. Come on people, we've already been doing it with iTunes for music, and google for email and contacts. If a windows live ID lets me share my aps among all my devices then awesome!

Honestly, there are some significant improvements in Windows 8 over 7. File transfer information (including the option to suspend a transfer), better bsod screens with information, stability, device support, the ribbon in explorer, and performance (it is incredibly faster at booting and using then windows 7).I was even able to load some games I hadn't been able to use since Win95.

What is really disturbing about the post's I've read is the vast majority are people complaining about the metro ui and loss of the start button. It's like people that really like it and have good experience with the system don't talk. Guess it proves that people who are happy don't talk about it. And people who are unhappy are the most vocal. People also don't get the change in orientation in the Metro UI. Metro is designed for wide screen. It goes from left to right as if you were reading text.

The valid criticisms is yeah, a start button or icon would be nice. At least it would be clearer then to click on the bottom left corner. Shutting down your system should be easier. I'm not sure why there is both IE 10 and an IE 10 metro ap....But all in all these are minor, especially when you realize Metro is a much better solution to the start menu. And yeah, sometimes the hot corners give me issues when I try to close a maximized window - when I go to the top right corner I usually get the slide out for settings and stuff. If I hit the previous button in IE I usually get the task bar. But this is minor and I'm sure works much better in a touch application.

Yeah, I like windows 8, and yeah I'll buy it when it comes out.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I would really like Metro Themes like xBox. Some of the themes on xBox are just stunning....I love my skyrim them. While themes work like they did in Windows 7 on the desktop, I agree....Metro backgrounds suck.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I read somewhere that the fish is a beta fish...as in a beta version of windows. It was supposed to be an Easter egg from the development team. It will probably be changed by the time Windows 8 goes gold.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I remember the fish in the beta version of Win 7. A Beta fish for a beta OS it seems.

The install was very fast.

I installed Win 8 on my second Rig. I installed it on a Velicoraptor while leaving my Win 7 install on its own drive. I am glad I did so. I am not keen to mess around with dual boot.

The boot up is very fast. My Win 8 i7 Lynnfield with Velicoraptor now beats my Win 7 i7 Sandy Bridge with a Crucial M4 on boot up.

All my hardware has driver support though I have had to go to Windows Update to obtain a driver for my Audigy Platinum Pro. I was surprised but pleased to see the driver available.

I found I could configure the Metro interface easily enough and I have found the essentials. I had to research other users findings on this site to find them though. Intuition alone will leave people struggling.

I am not big on Apps. The term is a bit Apple and trendy for my tastes.

I am reasonably sure that I will upgrade to this OS but I will wait for the Release Candidate before installing it on my main Rig. I wasn't to sure about Win 8 as I have enjoyed Win 7 very much. I advise people to try it however. I think MS is getting it right despite the inherent changes.

locks3

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

For me it's a definite NO. Dumbing down the desktop to make look and feel like a mobile phone is a very backward step that will only appeal to those users who live and die with their Mobile phone.
As a very early supporter of Win7 I was keen to see where Win8 was going. Even installing 3rd party apps to get some form of Start Menu back (which included a Shutdown button -great!) did not convince me that my desktop needs changing.
The new Hard disk File system and the Security features will just not be enough to convince me to upgrade.

Most desktop users are into functionality that helps them work. A desktop aimed at sharing Photos on Facebook and other such trivia has got to get the big thumbs down.

win7 rocks !

TRENDING THREADS