Has anyone bitsreamed Dolby TrueHD from Z77 Professional?

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
If so, how did you do it?

I'm running an i7 3770K on the ASRock Z77 Professional (the one with the annoying Fatal1ty branding), and connecting the MB HDMI port to an Onkyo receiver that supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio streaming. But when I try to configure it to bitstream, I invariably get multi-channel PCM or Dolby Digital (the low-grade DVD quality version).

I'm using TMT 3 with the latest updates as-of 3 months ago, which is supposed to support bitstreaming from SB and IB Intel HD graphics over HDMI, but no joy.

Anyone else try this with any degree of success? Multi-channel PCM isn't all bad, but I'd still prefer the real deal if I can get it.

I've tried changing settings under Windows Audio Properties such as the checkbox to allow an application to take exclusive control of the audio, but I don't think I'm doing that properly because I get strange behavior from 7MC (refusal to play recorded TV shows) when I do. The control applet does indicate that the receiving device (Onkyo TX-SR705 I think) supports TrueHD and DTS MA, as well as a variety of other formats.

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Pretty late reply, but maybe this will help.

I haven't done this exactly but it looks like this guy has, with a similar Onkyo receiver:
http://doityourselfhtpc.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/bitstreaming-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-intel-core-i3/

From what I remember, there is a setting in TMT that you have to explicitly check to enable pass through. It is not enabled by default if I remember correctly.

Also, does your supported formats list have DTS MA?
(Sound properties -> playback tab -> right click on hdmi -> properties -> supported formats tab)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

Better late than never! All of the expected protected audio formats show up in the control panel applet. Playback device is set to Intel Display Audio. Also, I know about the TMT setting, because I'm bitstreaming on a different system already using an AMD HD 5770.

I'm wondering in part if the problem has something to do with the Realtek audio drivers, and/or something to do with any "shortcuts" that ASRock may have taken with the chips on the MB. Drivers: If I uninstall the Realtek drivers, then the HDMI audio output doesn't work. To me, that makes no sense. ASRock: Back when HDMI and HDCP first came out, AMD released chips that were "HDCP ready", but it didn't work because no card vendors bothered to put a code chip on their cards. I'm wondering if ASRock did something similar with this MB on the audio side of things. So my original question really ties to this specific MB, and not to just any Intel Z77 MB.