Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX560 Ti, PC crashes/freezes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2011 4:36:52 PM

So I just recently bought a GTX560 Ti for my rig that I built about a year ago. I put it in installed the latest drivers and now when I play games like Dragon Age Origins the screen and audio freeze, and I have to turn off the PSU to get the computer to turn back on again. Most of the time it freezes but once in a while the computer will just reboot and say that a driver has stopped working but recovered. This also happens when I try to watch videos on youtube and try to rate my computer using the windows experience index thing. So it looks like this only happens when my GC is under load. I am trying to figure out if it is just a bad GC or if it is something else with my computer.

So far I have used driver sweeper to install both 266.66 and the recent 270 driver from the Nvidia website. And I have used the memory test program overnight to test my RAM.

I could use some help narrowing down this problem so I can actually use my GC I just paid 250 for.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.3GHz
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready DDR2 2 x 2 GB
Power Supply: Ultra LSP650
Mother Board: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a
GPU: Asus GTX560 Ti

I also wanted to say that the computer works fine doing anything other than these things I have mentioned.

More about : gtx560 crashes freezes

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 5:43:04 PM

That power supply!!! That brand is well known to make dodgy power supplies.
May 24, 2011 6:09:16 PM

Really? damn. Is there any way to make sure it is the PSU besides putting a new one in? I want to make sure before I just go purchase one.
Score
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 6:15:45 PM

If it happens when the card is under load then it could either be a defective power supply or defective card. Only buy high quality power supplies as many are made with very poor quality parts and are sold at a higher rating than what they could provide. Like a 400w unit being sold as a 700w unit.
Score
May 24, 2011 6:33:30 PM

cool thanks for the help. Just a couple quick questions, sorry I'm new to building my PC's. Do I need to worry about the size of the PSU to fit in my case? What brand would you suggest? I heard good things about Corsair, is that a good brand to go with? And besides making sure I have enough PCI-e connectors, is there anything else I need to worry about? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 6:48:44 PM

Corsair is good but not without an occasional unit every now and then not measuring up. Physically the units are the same size so mounting into a case is not a problem but how much the unit can provide is important. The one you have likely can't even supply what it was labeled for. Aim for a 650/700w unit from corsair and you should be good.
Score
May 28, 2011 5:45:54 PM

akodiakbear,

I have the exact same problem as you but with here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0ghz
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 4x1GB DDR2 RAM
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V PSU
EVGA GTX 560 TI SuperClocked
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

As you can see, I have a different (higher quality) PSU than you and have the same problems. This might not be related to the PSU at all. I thought my card was defective so I put my old GTX 260 back in and sent this card back in. During the wait, my GTX 260 ran perfectly fine. No system freezes or crashes. Now I got my second GTX 560 TI and put it in and my system freezes every 30 min to 2 hours. Sometimes when I'm not even at my computer and the computer is idle. I am running Windows 7 64. Does anybody else have any other suggestions? I also installed the new card after running driver sweeper.
Score
July 2, 2011 7:54:19 PM

So I bought a corsair gs700 with 56a on the 12v rail and the same thing keeps happening. My main test for this crash/freeze is to try and rate my pc for windows index. when it freezes its usually happening during some 3d test. I am now switching my psu back to my ultra because its obviously not that and i need the $100 to buy other parts that it might be. should I try getting a new motherboard or should i just assume its a bad video card???
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 8:29:39 PM

What is the clockspeed of your card?
Score
July 2, 2011 11:52:13 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What is the clockspeed of your card?

It is 830mhz
Score
July 3, 2011 12:28:15 AM

I just took out the video card and ran windows index experience, one of the many things that makes it freeze, and it finished the test no problem. put my video card back in tried a couple different drivers and it still crashes. I'm starting to put my money on it being a bad card
Score
July 4, 2011 9:22:32 PM

akodiakbear said:
So I just recently bought a GTX560 Ti for my rig that I built about a year ago. I put it in installed the latest drivers and now when I play games like Dragon Age Origins the screen and audio freeze, and I have to turn off the PSU to get the computer to turn back on again. Most of the time it freezes but once in a while the computer will just reboot and say that a driver has stopped working but recovered. This also happens when I try to watch videos on youtube and try to rate my computer using the windows experience index thing. So it looks like this only happens when my GC is under load. I am trying to figure out if it is just a bad GC or if it is something else with my computer.

So far I have used driver sweeper to install both 266.66 and the recent 270 driver from the Nvidia website. And I have used the memory test program overnight to test my RAM.

I could use some help narrowing down this problem so I can actually use my GC I just paid 250 for.

Specs:

I also wanted to say that the computer works fine doing anything other than these things I have mentioned.

i bought a gtx560 ti and had pretty much same problems,

got it to work in the end by uninstalling asus express gate,
updating my motherboards bios

and installing lastest drivers, somthing like 275.68
most drivers before 275 dont actually claim to support 560ti
they only go up to 550, nvidia released the card before they had finished the drivers,

Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 9:26:17 PM

donkeywax said:
i bought a gtx560 ti and had pretty much same problems,

got it to work in the end by uninstalling asus express gate,
updating my motherboards bios

and installing lastest drivers, somthing like 275.68
most drivers before 275 dont actually claim to support 560ti
they only go up to 550, nvidia released the card before they had finished the drivers,

Where did you get that from? I ask because the drivers only seem to go up to 275.50 at the moment.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2011 12:10:39 AM

Perhaps some of the older mainboards have issues with power regulation w/ some of the later GPUs?
Score
July 5, 2011 2:12:45 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Where did you get that from? I ask because the drivers only seem to go up to 275.50 at the moment.

the .68 was just a guess, the point i was trying to make was up until 275
there was no mention of 560 support, they only claimed to support up to 550 cards, sorry for confusion,

ive seen countless posts by people having trouble with gtx560ti
especially overclocked versions, including myself,
but the lastest drivers which do state they support 560 and 560ti cleared up all my problems
Score
February 4, 2012 6:39:54 PM

akodiakbear said:

Specs:

After reading the above, I almost shii...., cried.
I purchased the spec'd system below, and put it together for a killer gaming system after I carefully researched compatibilities, tech specs, and best components per public and "official" reviews. After I crossed my fingers and sparked up this bad-boy, it sprang to life. I updated drivers, SPs, and did all the basic maintenance to get it up to speed. I loaded Battlefield 2 and MS Flight Simulator "something" and I had no issues.

Then life got dark.

As I started playing games, including BF2, MS FSX, StarCraft, Aion, Battle Field 2 - Bad Company, LOTRO, EVE, I had an ongoing issue. At no specific time, the system/video would lock-up and I'd need to cold boot the system to get it to run correctly again. This went on for almost two years. I started to HATE the damned system. I was so disappointed. I tried everything.

Recently, I decided to upgrade the GPU because I was tired of running at the lowest graphics settings even though I had to reboot the system infrequently (sometimes very frequently). I bought the NVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti and "try a new card" to see if the problem would go away. I had already reloaded software, reset components, updated the drivers, replaced the RAM, checked for heat issues with sensor software, replaced the heat grease under the CPU cooling unit, kicked the case, swore, cried and screamed. I had tried it all. After After I updated the GPU, I marveled at the quality of the game graphics and fell in love with it all over again. But now I had a new symptom - complete shut down. It just crashed the system to "dead." I pressed the ON switch, and it would kick right back up - for a bit.

I started some more research, and read your thread. I couldn't believe it. I saw the comment about the Ultra 3X being problematic and I ran out the door screaming! I ran straight to Tiger Direct... I mean CompUSA... I mean Tiger Direct... Oh, whatever they call themselves today... and bought a Thermaltake TPG-1050M ToughPower Grand Power Supply - 1050W and couldn't get it in fast enough!

Nirvana! Angels singing! Ooh, I think I just wet myself" moment! I've been playing hard with ALL settings to MAXIMUM and NO PROBLEM!!!!

The power supply was my problem.

RAM: (Not sure at writing)
Power Supply (before): Ultra X3 1000 watt
Power Supply (now): Thermaltake TPG-1050M ToughPower Grand Power Supply - 1050W, 80 Plus Gold, 140mm Fan, CrossFireX Certified, SLI Certified)
Mother Board: ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD
GPU (before): NVidia GeForce 9400GT
GPU (Now): NVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti 2GB

Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 12:31:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 12:31:54 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
!