Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking my AMD 1100T to 4ghz (and over maybe?)

Last response: in CPUs
October 27, 2011 10:13:48 PM

I'd finally got my Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, and I would like to overclock it, but first, I have a few questions before I even attempt to OC :

1. Should I use my Arctic Silver 5 , or the Noctua NT-H1 Premium Grade Thermal Compound that came with my new cooler?

2. What settings in my motherboard BIOS, should I turn on or off when overclocking? ** GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD Motherboard

3. What SHOULD my first target be? Can I shoot straight for 4ghz? (aiming for 4.2ghz-4.5ghz)

4. Can my XFX XXX edition 650 Watt PSU handle this kind of overclock? Also , attempting to overclock my RAM and Video card (hoping to get my MSI 6970 Lightning card over 1ghz)

5. What kind of programs should I use for a CPU stability test, and for how long before being considered stable?

Quote:
My set up:
AMD 1100T Thuban x6
Noctua NH-D14
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD Motherboard
MSI 6970 Lightning (currently @ 980mhz, aiming for 1015mhz)
8GB (2x4 2GB sticks) of G.Skill RipJawz @ 1600mhz
Cooler Master HAF-932
XFX - XXX edition 650 Watt PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black @ 7,200 RPM 500GB SataIII (Windows 7)
Western Digital Caviar Blue @ 7,200 RPM 320GB SATA II (Linux Mint)

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 11:19:23 PM

1. The noctua paste is better from my experience.

2. You don't *have* to disable anything in BIOS, but maybe you should disable Cool n' quiet as it can cause unstability when OC'd, though most boards do it automatically when raising multiplier.

3. Look for a config that most people seem to be stable at, most people seem to get it stable at 4 ghz and 1.45v for the thubans(which is still safe), so go for that and test with prime for a few hours. It's not like 4.2ghz or more is gonna get you much at all other than heat and lesser lifespan, scaling doesn't do much even over 3.8ghz.

4. It should be fine, but you'll be cutting it close.

5. Prime 95 overnight ( 6+ hours) or lynx( that is a REAL "torture" test) for a couple hours or less, Do not pay attetion to the people who say less than 24 hours is not truly stable, that's only a waste of time.

This would've went better in the overclocking forum.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2011 11:24:27 PM

Either the TIM supplied with the HSF or Arctic Silver 5 will be fine and probably within 1 degree C of each other. You can even experiement with one and change to another later if you're into fun.

Disable C1E and Cool and Quiet in the BIOS. Follow the information in the links below. While you can try 4.0 GHz. immediately, it may just BSOD or not boot. Most people start slow and work their way UP instead of trying to work from some perceived OC down.

It sounds like you're new to overclocking so there is a lot to learn and you'll need to go slow and be patient as OC'ing is a JOURNEY not a DESTINATION. Your CPU/mobo/RAM are different than the next persons so what your hardware will OC to may be different than there's AND the BIOS settings you need to get the most from your CPU can also be much different than there's. Nothing in OC'ing is guaranteed so go slow and learn what your CPU/mobo/RAM desire for best performance and reliablity.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/902756-amd-overclock-...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...

I use OCCT severe test mode for a quick validation. When I reach the maximum stable OC, then I run P95 for 24 hours. If your PC can't run P95 for 24 hours without an error, it really isn't stable.
!