Any info yet on the HD 7xxx series?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Any official details on the 28nm Radeon HD 7xxx series graphics cards? They are supposed to be released Q4 2011 or Q1 2012. And they are alleged to offer more than 2x the performance of the two previous generations of ATI GPU families. The HD 69xx was only about 25% faster than the HD 58xx graphics cards. However, the HD 7xxx are supposed to offer an ENORMOUS performance gain.

There are even rumors that it will support DX 11.1.

Also, next-gen CPU's and chipsets/socket types from AMD and Intel are going to be available before this year's end. Along with the new graphics cards from ATI and Nvidia.

I haven't heard anything about Nvidia's GTX 6xx series "Kepler" cards yet. Aren't they going to be "GPGPU" and can be used for general purpose computing?

Yes, Kepler should be a strong GPGPU, assuming NVidia doesn't decide to be childish and disable/handicap it (on the gaming cards, it will definitely be on the compute/pro cards). I'd imagine Kepler is aiming for the same time frame, and all we have heard officially is that it has significantly better performance per watt in compute.

There isn't much out there right now from ATI and Nvidia about their upcoming cards. We won't get to much until a few months before they start moving product to market. Maybe there will be a few leaks around July or August time frame. Beyond there I have ran across some rumor that Nvidia might be changing their naming scheme again.

One thing that I want is more support for cuda in many popular video editing pregames such as windows movie maker for shorter encode times. I do a lot of video editing as a hobby and yes there is some limited application support but I am still left wanting. I also want a card that is at least the performance of a gtx 570 with a thermal and power profile less than that of a gtx 460.