PSU Sounding Like Car Engine?

G

This just happened this morning. My 500W PSU from CyberPowerPC just started to make odd noises. It sounds like a car enginewhen I turn on the PC and when I turn it off it makes a light humming noise. You can only hear it if you put your ear near the PSU. I would love to take it to CyberPower to have it fixed, but I recently upgraded the graphics card in it so I'm not sure if that voided the warranty or not. Will this noise go away or are there any fixes? What did I do to cause this? Or is the PSU just defective in general? Thanks. BTW its a XTREME Gear PSU.

The light humming when you turn off the computer is from the power supply and replacement of the power supply is the only cure, although power supplies are not totally noise free, so you should only replace the power supply if the light humming is objectionable. The noise like a car engine is caused by a defective fan which is either the CPU fan the power supply fan or any case fan you may have. Open the case and find out (using your ears) which fan it is. I know that it can be difficult to localize the source of the noise so you can temporarily momentarily disconnect the fan to see if the noise stops.

G

Yeah I upgraded to the GTX550ti from my old HD6450. The PC was prebuilt and I got it from Walmart so I couldn't really do any upgrade options. If I were to upgrade my PSU, I would say anywhere around the $100 range. Thanks.