Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Gaming PC - Compatabillity & Improvements

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2011 7:36:50 AM

Hello all! :) 
I am building my first gaming PC and am looking for something that will play smoothly with a reasonable FPS at 1920x1080p, I play mainly FPS's but also some RTS's (such as StarCraftII) the purpose of this rig is to play BattleField 3 when it is released on October 25th this year. My build is as follows:

Graphics Card - 2GB Radeon 6970 ASUS
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.10 socket 1155 Sandy Bridge (is it worth going i7 2600?)
Mother Board - Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3 MB, Socket 1155, Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600MHz (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 (over kill or not?)
HDD - Western Digital 1TB HDD WD1002FAEX CAVIAR BLACK 7200RPM 64MB CACHE SATAIII
OS - Win 7 64 Bit
PSU – 650W Corsair TX-650 ATX (Need more power or not?)
Opical Drive – SATA Samsung Blu Ray palyer
Case - Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Gaming Case
Monitor - AOC Razor e2343F2k 23" Wide 2ms Full HD HDMI 5000000:1 Contrast ratio, LED Monitor
Keyboard - Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Mouse - Razer Imperator
Heat sink - Deepcool Octopus S478 Plus Pentium 4 CPU Cooler. Need to check size for compatibility with mother board and CPU
Cooling – Don’t think I’ll need any extra on top of the case’s three fans and a CPU heat sink

I am looking for compatabillity, especially between the motherboard and RAM as well as every other bit of hardware but also any possible improvements that would not blow my budget which is roughly AUS $1500-1800 give or take a bit, the catch is that I am not buying parts online but in person from the stores. If there is anything that you think I should change please reply and let me know. Feel free to be as blunt or brutal as you like so long as it is constructive and will help me with my build. I thank you in advance :) 
July 30, 2011 7:55:13 AM

Going for a i7 2600k for gaming won't be something that I won't do, since it's only a 100MHz more faster than an i5 2500k. The 2500k also is better for gaming and the 2600k would be great for multi taslking. ( gaming too, but it just won't be worth spending $100 more for it ).

I don't think that TX 650 W is going to hold in all that. I'd be on the safer side and get a better PSU. How much can you spend on the PSU alone ?
8 GB RAM won't be much of an overkill. Don't worry.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2011 7:58:13 AM

I dont know about Deepcool Octopus but go check out the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. The Samsung Spinpoint F3 is recommended by many people who frequent Tom's. 8GB RAM isn't overkill if you're spending a good amount of money. I do suggest you try finding cheaper RAM if you want to save money from brands like G.Skill, Kingstons, or Mushkins. Your Corsair PSU is fine but if you plan to crossfire you should always go near 1000W to be on the safe side. Finally, the i5-2500k is good enough unless you plan to be using hyper threading in typical works like designing, 3D rendering, etc. In gaming, there isn't any real noticeable difference so i5-2500k is a good choice.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2011 8:18:09 AM

Gman450 said:
I don't think that TX 650 W is going to hold in all that. I'd be on the safer side and get a better PSU. How much can you spend on the PSU alone ?
8 GB RAM won't be much of an overkill. Don't worry.

I'm looking at around the $140-150 mark how about this?
http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/enthusiast-se...
I think a 750W PSU will suffice don't you?
July 30, 2011 8:21:04 AM

Thanks for the advice it's all well and good but how about compatabillity? will each piece of hardware compliment each other so I don't get a BSOD or other issues?
July 30, 2011 8:25:39 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'll be a bit more safe and get a TX850 W PSU. If you're planning on future upgrades, you wouldn't have to constantly upgrade your PSU.
You won't be having any sorts of BSODs unless you got a faulty hardware or drivers. Also, which one is the Windows 7 64 bit ? Is it Ultimate ?
July 30, 2011 8:33:28 AM

Gman450 said:
...which one is the Windows 7 64 bit ? Is it Ultimate ?

I don't know yet, a mate is giving it to me, probably ultimate though. Just curious as to why it matters which Win 7 64 bit I get. Aren't they all the same for gaming?
July 30, 2011 8:42:09 AM

If a friend of yours is giving it to you, then it's okay. Ultimate is just a bit too pricy and it's got a lot of features that aren't actually used by common people like you and me.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2011 7:18:09 PM

The 650 TX would be just fine for that, you'd never be pulling more than 450w with that rig, but if you were planning to Crossfire later on(which I would highly recommend) then I'd go with the 750TX.
July 31, 2011 6:43:36 AM

It doesn't hurt to have a bit more room for power. It's always good considering if you constantly upgrade your rig.

Best solution

August 1, 2011 2:09:17 AM

Looks good. Sounds like your PSU is sorted. All I would change:

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPa...

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

1.RAM. The heat spreaders on Vengence are more trouble than they're worth. Can get awkward installing your CPU Cooler around. Some reviews say they don't do anything even read posts of them falling off!

2.HDD. WD 1TB Cav Black is great. Performs some operations slightly faster than the Samsung F3. For gaming you won't get any benefit. They are noisy too. Save yourself $40

3. CPU Cooler. Not sure about the Octopus... Go with the Hyper 212+ It's tried and true and a good price.

Not sure which Asus 6970 you are going... but I'd go one of the options with sweet AM Cooling like:

Often little price difference and they overclock better.

If you're buying instore, just your prices against PCCasegear to make sure your not being ripped off too badly. Might also want to check www.msy.com.au It's the ugliest website in the world but their prices are good and chances are there is a store near you :)  I just download the pricelist and then give them a call to check exact part/model numbers, stock availability etc.

Good luck
August 2, 2011 9:06:54 AM

Best answer selected by SecroNiTE.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 8:22:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!