Twin Frozr II 560 ti VS Sapphire 6950 2GB Which to buy?

aphamx

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I've been looking in the whole forums but there are still some questions I would like to ask (I've seen the other 560 ti vs 6950).

I have a 7600 GT right now, and I think its time to upgrade, heh. I got a new 1080 p 24" dell monitor and another 22" , so I plan on gaming on max settings 1080p.

My first question is the Twin Frozr ll vs Twin Frozr lll? The Twin Frozr lll is 20 dollars more, is it worth ?

The http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...16814102914&cm_re=6950-_-14-102-914-_-Product sapphire radeon 6950 is supposedly unlock-able according to the reviews and it sells out every time I see it go back in stock. It costs around 260 after mir and shipping

The MSI Twin Frozr ll http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565&cm_re=560_ti-_-14-127-565-_-Product is 230 after mir and shipping.

Is the 6950 2gb worth the extra 30 bucks. Correct me, but I've seen reviews that say the 6950 uses less power, but the fan noise is unbearable. My motherboard supports sli/cf but I will probably keep this card for 2~3 years.

Also theres another question, I know that I can have 3 monitors if I get a second graphics card (use my 7600) and plug one monitor in there. I know its not anything like eyefinity. But can I play games like, minecraft and assassin's creed brother hood in windows mode and play across the 3 monitors?

THANK YOU in advance. I've been waiting over 5 months to buy a graphics card. I built a new pc just for gaming but no gpu yet.

Specs
i7 - 950 4.1 ghz
asus sabertooth x58
750 watt corsair certified psu
8 gb 1600 DDR3
1 TB WD caviar black 7200 rpm drive
Antec 900

Other info you might want

I edit videos occasionally with sony vegas and after effects. Not sure if CUDA is worth it though, I can't find any benchmarks to see the difference between render times of cpu or gpu CUDA. and sony vegas (i use it the most) doesn't have much cuda support. I think my i7 is fine just for rendering?

Solution
The 6950 is more than worth the extra 30 bucks. This is coming from an Nvidia fanboy, I have 2x gtx 460 in sli right now, BUT, they run out of framebuffer in a hurry at 1080p. If I were in the market for a GPU right now I would buy the 6950 in a heartbeat and unlock that sucka, my past negative ATI/AMD experiences notwithstanding. I'm not the guy to ask about multiple monitor setups, so no comment there.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
The 6950 is more than worth the extra 30 bucks. This is coming from an Nvidia fanboy, I have 2x gtx 460 in sli right now, BUT, they run out of framebuffer in a hurry at 1080p. If I were in the market for a GPU right now I would buy the 6950 in a heartbeat and unlock that sucka, my past negative ATI/AMD experiences notwithstanding. I'm not the guy to ask about multiple monitor setups, so no comment there.

Solution

aphamx

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Is it still worth the extra 40* if it doesn't unlock. Cause the cooler doesn't seem like its that efficient if I unlock it and OC it IMO.

aphamx

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Contacted sapphire, they said this is a dual bios card. I hope the 40 extra bucks will be worth the loud fan of the 6950 (unlock it to 6970 and clock to 6970 stock) and couple fps. Thanks guys.

The fan is only loud if you push it to 45% or higher. That's normally not needed if you have good air flow in your case.

also, remember when you flash the bios, it doesnt just unlock shaders but ups the ram clock speed. sometimes this can give undesirable results. you can normally customise the bios so it unlocks shaders but keeps the ram at a safe speed. This will entirely depend on the ram they used on the board.

No, it doesn't. That happens when you flash a 6970 bios onto the card. The unlocked shader version doesn't touch your clocks.

You definitely said that unlocking the shaders results in different ram speeds. Unlocking the shaders does no such thing. Flashing to the 6970 bios is what does that.