Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Eyefinity GPUs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 11:36:53 PM

I have 3 monitors that I need to power off of one GPU. What cards support Eyefinity? Filled out the form just in case.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime by August; been scanning forums for deals and just need to know what will work for the best price.

BUDGET RANGE: NONE

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Powering the 3 1600x900 monitors for general work usage (Word, Excel, etc.)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI 6950 2GB for gaming on the 1920x1080 monitor, Corsair 950TX

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Can support a second GPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: NEED Eyefinity, so must be AMD

OVERCLOCKING: Not important

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not important

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 3 1600x900 monitors

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Should I purchase a second 6950 for CFX and power the other 3 monitors off of that? I'm not familiar with how Eyefinity works.

Thanks!

More about : eyefinity gpus

a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 11:53:00 PM

I have a 6950 running on my 1920x1080, but would like to keep it dedicated for gaming on that. I just need something that simply powers the other 3 displays.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 24, 2011 11:58:32 PM

Your current 6950 will do eyefinity, you just need to buy an active display port adapter to power one of your monitors with.

Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I don't think it's possible to run 3 screen eyefinity AND a 2nd primary display at 1080p, certainly not with a single card or crossfire if thats what your goal is. You will just have to unplug a monitor and reconfigure your displays in CCC when you want to swap out and use the 1080p display I think.

If the 3 monitors are ONLY for work usage then eyefinity is not really what you want IMO, it's much easier just to extend your desktop onto the other displays, you don't need the toolbar going across all 3 screens and it's not like you're going to want a single excel document spanning 3 pages, if you're like me you'll probably have word on one and excel on another.

So basically if you are replacing the 1080p screen with the 3 monitor setup then just get a DP adapter and use your current card, if you want to run 3 monitors in addition to the current 1080p one I don't think eyefinity is an option, so just buy any ole cheap ati card to run 2 of the smaller screens and power the other 2 with the 6950.
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 12:46:29 AM

Gotcha; got triple monitor and eyefinity confused (first AMD card so still learning the ropes). I don't need eyefinity, but I do need a card that can power 3 displays.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 12:53:23 AM

Best answer selected by boiler1990.
m
l
!