Is this a good power supply for my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwon23

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
My new rig will be delivered on the 31st and I found out I bought a garbage power supply. After reading how important it is to have a good power supply I ordered a Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 watt Power supply to replace it.
I was wondering if this is sufficient power for my build, and if it is a quality power supply that wont need to be replaced very soon.

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU 2.8GHz

MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

You bought one of the best current PSUs available in the market, don't worry since that PSU can support Crossfire or SLI without problems plus an excellent Corsair warranty.

beenthere

Distinguished
If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

I wanted to echo that its hard to overkill a PSU.

Especially considering that PSUs almost always perform most efficiently when you are using half of the maximum power. That means that the least amount of what you take from the wall gets wasted as heat which is good for your internals, good for your cooling needs, and good for the environment around the PC.

A lot of bronze PSUs have 86-88% efficiency at 50% and only 82% efficiency at 80 - 100% load, so that could potentially be about 25% less wastage if you keep the load to about half.

Plus that gives plenty of juice to both add stuff later and plenty of juice for if you keep the PSU in service for long periods because they lose the ability to put out power over time slowly and a higher starting figure means you can keep above the threshold for a longer time.

Status
Not open for further replies.