Dynamic range of the Epson 4870 Scanner?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 19, 2005 12:01:32 PM

Can anyone tell me the dynamic range of the Epson 4870 scanner please?
Thanks in advance.

davidN.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:08:21 PM

<<What would you like it to be? Epson claims 3.8 Dmax. >>

So this is a revelation. Dmax is simply a measurement of Dynamic
Range? What would I like it to be? Well what it actually is Sir. <g>
I am not into wish fulfillment -- well at least when it comes to
scanners anyway. I knew its Dmax was 3.8. Simplyt stated I was not
aware it was simply an interchangable term for Dynamic range.

thanks

davidN
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:57:24 PM

On 19 Mar 2005 09:01:32 -0800, "DavidN" <Focaipoint@aol.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the dynamic range of the Epson 4870 scanner please?
>Thanks in advance.

What would you like it to be?

Epson claims 3.8 Dmax.

http://tinyurl.com/6ye7k

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
March 19, 2005 6:01:49 PM

On 19 Mar 2005 11:08:21 -0800, "DavidN" <Focaipoint@aol.com> wrote:

><<What would you like it to be? Epson claims 3.8 Dmax. >>
>
>So this is a revelation. Dmax is simply a measurement of Dynamic
>Range? What would I like it to be? Well what it actually is Sir. <g>
>I am not into wish fulfillment -- well at least when it comes to
>scanners anyway. I knew its Dmax was 3.8. Simplyt stated I was not
>aware it was simply an interchangable term for Dynamic range.

Sorry for the sarcasm. It's generally
agreed that manufacturers' ratings are
best taken with a grain of salt.

Others may argue about "Dmax" vs.
"dynamic range" and you and I can kick
back and maybe learn something... or not.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:37:13 PM

Documentation for the Epson 4870 is located at

The manual should be in PDF format on the CD.

And there is a online manual.
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr48ph/pr48phrf...

All documents can be downloaded here.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.js...
&infoType=Doc&oid=28461&prodoid=40524123

[Copied from an old posting by CSM1]

"DavidN" <Focaipoint@aol.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me the dynamic range of the Epson 4870 scanner please?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> davidN.

March 20, 2005 10:17:55 AM

> <<What would you like it to be? Epson claims 3.8 Dmax. >>
>
> So this is a revelation. Dmax is simply a measurement of Dynamic
> Range? What would I like it to be? Well what it actually is Sir. <g>
> I am not into wish fulfillment -- well at least when it comes to
> scanners anyway. I knew its Dmax was 3.8. Simplyt stated I was not
> aware it was simply an interchangable term for Dynamic range.
>
> thanks
>
> davidN

I have one of these scanners and I also have a Super Coolscan 5000 ED Nikon
film scanner.
The Dmax Epson claim is bullshit. For scanning 35mm film you intend to print
5x7 or larger... Get a film scanner, the Epson isn't good enough. I can scan
a normal gloss finish, 6x4 photo and print it larger - much larger than I
can get a scan from the negative to go and still have some degree of
sharpness. Maybe the Coolscan might be over the top of your budget but there
are cheaper ones that do a passable job and are close to the Epson's price.

Incidentally... I've had some good success with 'Neat image' at removing the
noise in shadows the Epson creates but nothing I've tried will sharpen it's
scans to anywhere near the Nikon's.

Douglas
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:17:56 AM

Douglas wrote:

> "DavidN" <Focaipoint@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>><<What would you like it to be? Epson claims 3.8 Dmax. >>
>>
>>So this is a revelation. Dmax is simply a measurement of Dynamic
>>Range? What would I like it to be? Well what it actually is Sir. <g>
>>I am not into wish fulfillment -- well at least when it comes to
>>scanners anyway. I knew its Dmax was 3.8. Simplyt stated I was not
>>aware it was simply an interchangable term for Dynamic range.

> I have one of these scanners and I also have a Super Coolscan 5000 ED Nikon
> film scanner.
> The Dmax Epson claim is bullshit. For scanning 35mm film you intend to print
> 5x7 or larger... Get a film scanner, the Epson isn't good enough. I can scan
> a normal gloss finish, 6x4 photo and print it larger - much larger than I
> can get a scan from the negative to go and still have some degree of
> sharpness. Maybe the Coolscan might be over the top of your budget but there
> are cheaper ones that do a passable job and are close to the Epson's price.

I also have the epson 4870 scanner. I would rate its optical resolution
at about 3000 dpi compared to drum scanners I've used. But I've never
seen a consumer scanner that came close to a drum scanner when both
are at the same dpi. I've not used the Nikon 5000, but other
Nikon coolscans I've used had similar factors of about 2/3 the
resolution of a drum scanner. E.g. a 4800 dpi * 2/3 = 3200 dpi,
meaning the 4800 dpi scan of a consumer scanner matches the
apparent resolution of a 3200 dpi drum scan.

Concerning the dynamic range, I find it to be excellent, and with
16-bit output I now scan my 4x5 images with it. Example:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.colorado/w...
(push the previous button and see other 4x5 scanned on the epson.
I find the 16-bit dynamic range more than covers fujichrome velvia
film, and I can print more dynamic range and detail with these scans
than with traditional enlargers.

But I agree that for 35mm film scans, a dedicated 35mm scanner will
likely be better.

There is a new epson 4990 coming out and it is reported to be even better
(it is out in Europe--I saw it in a store in Italy two weeks
ago--499 euros). I haven't seen a US $ price yet.

Roger
!