Sign in with
Your question

VisionTek Radeon HD 5450

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2011 2:05:37 AM

Today i decided to upgrade (or what i thought was upgrading) my graphics card. I have a HPE-112y HP Desktop that had an ATI HD 4300 512mb card installed. I bought a VisionTek Radeon HD 5450 2gb graphics card and installed. I used AMD Overdrive to change "High Performance GPU Clock setting" to 650MHz and "High Performance Memory Clock Setting" to the same 650MHz. I have a HP flat Panel w1858 connected via DVI cable.....

----The Problem----

After i updated all drivers and installed necessary software, I ran the windows rating system. My old Graphics rating was --5.9 and Gaming Graphics--Similar....Now on the new rating i received a 4.6 and a 6.1 respectively. A considerable downgrade in my opinion and of course not what i was looking for.

Now i would like to know did i just get a "cheap" graphics card that does not compare to my other one? Could it be my power supply?(although the box for the new card recommends 300W and thats what my power supply is.)

Any comments might help. And i would like to know if this Card is just crap and if i should buy a better one along with a power supply? Any recommendations?

More about : visiontek radeon 5450

May 25, 2011 2:45:51 AM

WEI isn't the best thing to use to compare computer specs. You 4350 is only 10~13 % slower than the 5450, not much of an upgrade. What do you plan on using the graphics card for, because the 5450 isn't really a good graphics card for gaming. Don't be mislead by the 2 gb memory. If you plan on gaming you definitely need to upgrade the power supply and get a new graphics card.

What is your budget and what is your monitor resolution.
m
l
May 25, 2011 3:11:32 AM

my main display is 1366 by 768. I also use a second display via HDMI which is a full 1080p tv 50in.

My budget is around 250-300 for both power supply and graphics card. i can save more if needed. I play black ops mostly along with a couple other games. the display is generally fine on my smaller monitor but pixilated while playing on extended monitor.
I also use my computer as my blu-ray player which does not generally pixilate while watching on my second screen.

My computer specs: (if it will help at all)

AMD Phenom II X4 925 processors
8gb memory
Windows 7 64 bit
If you need any more information for my best options just let me know.

m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2011 3:32:38 AM

jr8801 said:
my main display is 1366 by 768. I also use a second display via HDMI which is a full 1080p tv 50in.

My budget is around 250-300 for both power supply and graphics card. i can save more if needed. I play black ops mostly along with a couple other games. the display is generally fine on my smaller monitor but pixilated while playing on extended monitor.
I also use my computer as my blu-ray player which does not generally pixilate while watching on my second screen.

My computer specs: (if it will help at all)

AMD Phenom II X4 925 processors
8gb memory
Windows 7 64 bit
If you need any more information for my best options just let me know.

250 budget is way more than enough, are you planning on gaming on the second display?
m
l
May 25, 2011 3:56:03 AM

yeah i want to play on the second display. thats pretty much why i am upgrading because my current one will not "clearly". Maybe its the computer itself not sure. specs were listed above any other upgrades i need?
m
l
May 25, 2011 4:01:58 PM

up
m
l
May 26, 2011 1:42:55 AM

If you want to play on max settings with full AA you could get a 560 ti and a quality 550 watt psu, if you are willing to push your budget a little you could get a 6950. Otherwise I'm pretty sure a 5850, 6870 or 460 will do you fine.
m
l
June 27, 2011 11:50:01 PM

I have the same exact problem!!! I got this card out of sheer frustration over the witcher 2 and how unplayable it was even on the lowest settings my 6800xt just coudnt handle it but the 5450 is kicking its Ass how is it that my index score dropped from 5.4 to 4.6 even though its clearly doing what my old card couldnt????do I take it back or is it legit????
m
l
!