Solved

Stuck on a video card decision.

Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding my current PC and have about $800 to spend on a video card. I was originally leaning towards the 590GTX, but due to pricing, availability, and the clock speeds, I'm reconsidering. What would you guys reccomend? I'd prefer nVidia over ATI. Also, I obviously don't have to spend ALL the money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stuck video card decision
  1. xfire 2 6970's and call it a day.
  2. What card do you have now and what resolution will you be using?
  3. ^+1. Also, I would suggest CF hd6950s unlocked assuming your PC can handle 'em. If you already have a nice card, just CF or SLi. I assume this system is all from scratch and you will be using all new items, so you don't want to SLi or CF your current card. Also, what PSU?
  4. System specs?
  5. Get a gtx 580 and be happy for a long time and then grab another :P
  6. Right now, I've got a 275 GTX. PSU is an 850 Watt Corsair. Resolution would be 1920x1080. This build isn't completely from scratch, I'm just upgrading the core components. here's what I'm replacing:

    Q9450-->2600k
    ASUS P5E3W Premium-->ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    6 Gigs of Patriot 1333--> 8 Gigs G.SKILL 1600
    275 GTX--> ????
  7. My rec is that you go with 2x 6950 if value is important to you at all and then unlock them, but if you want to be safe you can obviously buy them as 6970s and Crossfire them for less than $800. Also if you haven't bought the RAM yet I'd recommend spending the rest of your budget on a faster kit to keep up with that 2600k. People will say that any speed increase over CL7 1600 is a waste, but my benches (games, not synthetics) say different.
  8. katarn22 said:
    Right now, I've got a 275 GTX. PSU is an 850 Watt Corsair. Resolution would be 1920x1080. This build isn't completely from scratch, I'm just upgrading the core components. here's what I'm replacing:

    Q9450-->2600k
    ASUS P5E3W Premium-->ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    6 Gigs of Patriot 1333--> 8 Gigs G.SKILL 1600
    275 GTX--> ????

    I vote a a hd6950 CF unlocked into two hd6970s.
  9. I would go with a 2500K instead of a 2600K all day long for gaming reaons. In games you aren't going to notice a difference and it can save you a lot of money.

    For GPUs I'd still go with 6950s and unlock the shaders into 6970s and then overclock to 6970 speeds.
  10. Any nVidia suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I'd go with ATI no problem. Just that I've been with nVidia my whole building experience really.
  11. Best answer
    At that price range, not really.

    There is a decent deal on GTX 570s however.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.652627

    571 for two of them.
  12. katarn22 said:
    Any nVidia suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I'd go with ATI no problem. Just that I've been with nVidia my whole building experience really.

    Maybe two GTX 560 Ti's for a few bucks less.
  13. Yeah a friend of mine suggested as opposed to a 590 GTX, two 570's in SLI. Aside from those two, my only other nVidia option would probably be one 580GTX.
  14. katarn22 said:
    Yeah a friend of mine suggested as opposed to a 590 GTX, two 570's in SLI. Aside from those two, my only other nVidia option would probably be one 580GTX.

    Yeah, SLi 'em later.
  15. Thats actually a pretty good deal on those 570s I linked.
  16. Helltech said:
    Thats actually a pretty good deal on those 570s I linked.

    Yes, it is.
  17. Kind of want to pick that up.... haha.

    But to keep it on topic. Getting a single GTX 580 now and another in the future when they are cheaper wouldn't be a horrible decision either, that is if you must stick with Nvidia.
  18. Helltech said:
    Thats actually a pretty good deal on those 570s I linked.


    Helltech, it very much is. I was looking at benches comparing 570 SLI to other cards including the 590 and their performances are almost identical.
  19. katarn22 said:
    Helltech, it very much is. I was looking at benches comparing 570 SLI to other cards including the 590 and their performances are almost identical.

    Yes, and the GTX 590 has had problems.
  20. Here's a chart from a recent article from Tom's that compares the HD6950 2gb vs the GTX 570 in single/dual/triple card configurations;

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way-scaling,2865-9.html
    The HD6950 really is a better value for money IMO even ignoring the possibility of unlocking the shaders for HD6970 performance.
  21. jyjjy said:
    Here's a chart from a recent article from Tom's that compares the HD6950 2gb vs the GTX 570 in single/dual/triple card configurations;
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/K/281828/original/image020.png
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way-scaling,2865-9.html
    The HD6950 really is a better value for money IMO even ignoring the possibility of unlocking the shaders for HD6970 performance.


    THIS!!! Two 6950s are a force to reckon with as is. If they are to be unlocked way better value.
  22. I'd second the recommendation for the GTX 580, because you can SLI it later if you like and blow away any of the other alternatives.
  23. Best answer selected by katarn22.
  24. I ended up indeed going with that 570 deal. For the price and performance, I really couldn't pass it up. Someone also said they're very overclockable so that's always a plus.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics Product