expanding laptop storage

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 25, 2005 1:05:45 PM

I am thinking of expanding my laptop storage capacity by adding a 80 gb
HD placed in an USB2 esnclosure that would be velcroed on the back of
the laptop screen.That meanse when I flip the screen the added HD will
be exposed to some movement,and it may be that sometimes that movement
will occur when the added HD will be hard at work.
I also intend to have the added HD get power from USB.
So there are a lot of queastions in my mind;
wil the power be enough ?,
will the movement of the screen will affect the added HD?,
will the cooling will be a problem?

I need some advice regarding the pro and cons of this set-up.

I would apreciate any input.
Thank you
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 25, 2005 2:10:34 PM

vasi1 wrote:

> I am thinking of expanding my laptop storage capacity by adding a 80 gb
> HD placed in an USB2 esnclosure that would be velcroed on the back of
> the laptop screen.That meanse when I flip the screen the added HD will
> be exposed to some movement,and it may be that sometimes that movement
> will occur when the added HD will be hard at work.
> I also intend to have the added HD get power from USB.
> So there are a lot of queastions in my mind;
> wil the power be enough ?,
> will the movement of the screen will affect the added HD?,
> will the cooling will be a problem?
>
> I need some advice regarding the pro and cons of this set-up.

No offense intended, but it doesn't sound like the brightest setup.

Why not just keep your HD in your laptop carrying case, connecting
it, by a cable, when it's needed?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 25, 2005 2:13:57 PM

Notan wrote:

> vasi1 wrote:
> >
> > I am thinking of expanding my laptop storage capacity by adding a 80 gb
> > HD placed in an USB2 esnclosure that would be velcroed on the back of
> > the laptop screen.That meanse when I flip the screen the added HD will
> > be exposed to some movement,and it may be that sometimes that movement
> > will occur when the added HD will be hard at work.
> > I also intend to have the added HD get power from USB.
> > So there are a lot of queastions in my mind;
> > wil the power be enough ?,
> > will the movement of the screen will affect the added HD?,
> > will the cooling will be a problem?
> >
> > I need some advice regarding the pro and cons of this set-up.
>
> No offense intended, but it doesn't sound like the brightest setup.
>
> Why not just keep your HD in your laptop carrying case, connecting
> it, by a cable, when it's needed?

Among other things, when you *do* put your laptop into a case
(assuming you do), there will probably be undue force, caused
by the HD, concentrated on a specific area of the back of the
laptop and screen.

Notan
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 25, 2005 7:13:08 PM

"vasi1" <vasi1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am thinking of expanding my laptop storage capacity by adding a 80 gb
>HD placed in an USB2 esnclosure that would be velcroed on the back of
>the laptop screen.

As Notan pointed out, you probably don't want to do this. Your best
bet is either an external USB case or an internal bay removable hard
drive, depending on your laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 25, 2005 11:16:23 PM

thank you all for you responses!
unfortunately none of them really gave any argument pro or con.
I rarely travel with my laptop but when i do Notan concern is not a
problem.
I could have the hd laying arround and hook it up when is needed...but
that would interfere with the ready availability...
however i still need to know why is not a good idea..( a simple no may
not sufice...no pun intended)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 26, 2005 10:13:37 AM

vasi1 wrote:
> thank you all for you responses!
> unfortunately none of them really gave any argument pro or con.
> I rarely travel with my laptop but when i do Notan concern is not a
> problem.
> I could have the hd laying arround and hook it up when is needed...but
> that would interfere with the ready availability...
> however i still need to know why is not a good idea..( a simple no may
> not sufice...no pun intended)

Research entails risk. It seems that you want others to assume the risk
that is intrinsic to advancing your chosen field of research. Only you
can evaluate and balance the risks versus the benefits of your research
and only you can assume the risks. Consultation with your peers cannot
be used to mitigate your responsibility for failure since your
consultants will not reap any benefit from your successes.

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 26, 2005 12:23:17 PM

vasi1 wrote:

> thank you all for you responses!
> unfortunately none of them really gave any argument pro or con.
> I rarely travel with my laptop but when i do Notan concern is not a
> problem.
> I could have the hd laying arround and hook it up when is needed...but
> that would interfere with the ready availability...
> however i still need to know why is not a good idea..( a simple no may
> not sufice...no pun intended)

I've given you a good reason why it's not a good idea.

If you don't want to accept this as a "con," that's certainly your
business.

It sounds to me like you're looking for someone to pat you on the
back, along with a "Great idea, Vasil."

Good Luck! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 27, 2005 11:20:01 AM

that is assuming Notan...but hey,you did ur best, so thanks...

However u will be surprise of the variety of ideas and insights that
this question generated in similar forums...it did turned out that some
ppl allready did that,succesfuly, they said.

Judgement aside,thanks for all who answered...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 27, 2005 12:24:35 PM

vasi1 wrote:

> that is assuming Notan...but hey,you did ur best, so thanks...
>
> However u will be surprise of the variety of ideas and insights that
> this question generated in similar forums...it did turned out that some
> ppl allready did that,succesfuly, they said.
>
> Judgement aside,thanks for all who answered...

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it creates the potential
for problems.

Let us know how things work out!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 31, 2005 1:38:47 PM

I have a dell inspiron 5000. Battery charges OK but cuts out after 15
minutes with 85% capacity still showing as remaining.Works fine on mains.
Any ideas ( battery is new)
keith
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 31, 2005 7:37:17 PM

westlondon wrote:

> I have a dell inspiron 5000. Battery charges OK but cuts out after 15
> minutes with 85% capacity still showing as remaining.Works fine on mains.
> Any ideas ( battery is new)
> keith

Assuming your battery is the one recommended for your machine and you
bought it from a reliable supplier (meaning, not on ebay for instance),
I would recommend going in the Bios and using its calibrate facility
(sorry, not owning a Dell, I am assuming there is one ...)

--
John Doue
!