Totally Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaSeeker

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Sorry if I'm interrupting a thread but I'm new to this and totally lost.Can anyone direct me to help for on board audio problems?

Solution
G

Your GX620 indeed has digital audio capabilities. You may have installed the wrong driver. Are you running Windows XP on this GX620? If you are, try this one directly from Dell...

PaSeeker

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks for your help.I found the forum for sound cards but I don't know how to jump in with my question.I don't see anything related to questions about on board audio,just add on cards.

PaSeeker

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
O.K. This is my last message here.I don't want to bother you and the rest of the good people on this thread.As I said before,I only see comments for "add on cards".If a moderator can move my question to the proper forum,that would be great.My question is this:
I just got a Dell GX 620.I downloaded the audio driver(SoundMax) from the Dell website and installed it.I hooked up my digital speakers that work on my older GX 240 and I get no sound.Is the on board sound card capable of playing digital?
Thanks for your time and patience!

G

Your GX620 indeed has digital audio capabilities. You may have installed the wrong driver. Are you running Windows XP on this GX620? If you are, try this one directly from Dell. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R97809&SystemID=PLX_GX620&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2430&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=126932

If you are running Windows Vista or 7, you may be out of luck as support for your GX620 ended and no driver updates are available from Dell beyond Windows XP but there should be drivers available through Windows Update. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/dell-optiplex-gx620-sound-drivers-for-windows-7/80d82d66-d497-4961-93df-6d16bbff9bbe

Solution

PaSeeker

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Sorry timinator for this late reply to your suggestions for my "sound problem".I don't like to keep anyone hanging,not knowing whether their time and effort was helpful or not.Seeing the sites that you directed me to,indicated that you took the time to do some research on my behalf,and for that I thank you.
I tried many different drivers for my OS (Windows XP Pro) and Dell computer.The only one that was a partial success,was the one from Dell,that you suggested.The name of the driver (SoundMax Integrated Digital) is somewhat misleading.Without it there is absolutely no sound.With it,only analog.Too bad! I guess I'll have to pull out my Sound Blaster card from my GX240,which I planned to give to a neighbor's kid who can't afford a computer,but wanted to learn.When I get some extra cash,I'll pick up some analog speakers and set him up.
Thank you so much for your help.
PaSeeker

Status
Not open for further replies.