Bad graphics flash!!!!

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I just flashed my sapphire hd 5770 to the asus ulock bios and my computer wont even post with that card after the reboot...AHHHHHH plz help!!!

Solution
Nothing you can do if the computer won't even boot with that video card.

The only real option is to replace the BIOS chip with one from another Sapphire 5770 of the same model. I'm not sure, but the BIOS chip maybe soldered onto the video card itself.

Otherwise, it makes a large paperweight.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
by the way Im on the same system now just with an old 1950gt so I know everything is fine with the system...mymobo does support x fire and i have read somewhere i think that if you can get another x fire card you can load the bios up somehow.

Helltech

Distinguished
As far I know you will have to use another sapphire hd 5770 to flash it back. Granted I don't know much about the procedure so I could be wrong.

Maybe I ask WHY you did? You can't get much out of a 5770 no matter what you do to it.

Nothing you can do if the computer won't even boot with that video card.

The only real option is to replace the BIOS chip with one from another Sapphire 5770 of the same model. I'm not sure, but the BIOS chip maybe soldered onto the video card itself.

Otherwise, it makes a large paperweight.

Solution

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, have you tried booting up with the 1950gt in the primary slot and the 5770 in secondary.

I had this problem the otherday flashed a 5870 and it would not display after that.

I used an old ati card, made a bootable usb with ati tool on it and my original bios.
Flashed the 5870 back to original and it was saved.

Obviously you need to have the backup of the orig bios, if not, look on the net for an identical bios version of the same manufacturer etc etc.

Hope this helps

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I used ati flash tool. booted it from usb flash drive.

typed

atiflash -f -p 1 asus.rom - asus.rom is the name of your bios file, and the 1 indicates the second graphics card

i.e - 0 = vid card number 1 & 1= vid card number 2

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well it didint go good at all.....went and bought the exact same card tried to x fire but the screen just went black....it would be all good if i was able to post that card and reflash it but nomatter what i tried to my knowledge and the help here it was a no go. so now i guess i can put it up on the bookshelf.....at least then it can be used for something. My gut told me not to do it but like they say you cant believe everything you read. great learning experience tho. At least now I know what Im doin. thanks again everyone for The input on this.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
And yes i did try the old card to do the usb thing....first thing i tried but it didnt work...booted up and everything was fine till my mobo "kinda" detected the second card and screen went black again. after tried to dos usb it and nothin for some reason it just would not say it was there.....but thats it card is on the shelf my new card is in my rig and thats it Id say......all had good info to give...hard to give someone the credit so thanks to all!

I just tested how to recover from a bad flash, and I may have a couple more things to try that worked for me.

As mentioned above, place a working card in the first PCIe slot, and the bricked card in the 2nd.
Now boot into safe mode. Open up the device manager and uninstall the video card drivers so it shows nothing under displays.
Boot up into windows, and then perform a flash as described above (atiwinflash -f -p 1 correctbios.bin).

You can find the bios here, most likely: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Yeah I get what your sayin did that too but when I put that second card in my rig wont boot at all its kinda weird but Im thinkin it has to do with my mobo having built in x fire so when it boots or trys to, its reading from both slots. and I have flashed this card (same one bought it today) with the vapor x bios and it worked for me but decided to flash back to original. could not see a difference from that bios besides clock settings. in ccc but again i uninstalled it and use sapphire trixx for my overclocking and fan control. I was just looikn to up the voltage on the card. but to no success. just does not support it in these cards. But if someone could guide me on a pencil mod with pics that would be great. This new card is better anyways im hitting higher clock speeds now running 1020/1490 from where Im getting a 3do6 mark of ave of 19500.....huge jump from stock where ave was about 16000 or something. I also gave that card to a friend he says he is goin to change out the bios chip.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Im actually kinda impressed with what this card can do especially since I got my new one today.. I can push it higher than the last card.....And why? well I was reading that you could "unlock" the voltage control to push it even harder but you just cant do it with this card

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Yes you are right in this case...picked as best answer for this thread...gave the card to a friend and he said he will play with it...he has more knowledge of that stuff and more time than I so I just picked up another one....crossed toes and fingers to be able to flash back and save that card and x fire but sadly hands and feet crippled up and no "LUCK" at all with having that card anywhere near my rig now :p

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Oh no worries I lost myself 120 bucks but my new 5770 same card(brand) I am able to push it higher....it was a real learning experience for me so for all the info I have gathered this last day and a half and having this new and a bit better card it seems that it was worth the trouble. now I know and I got a better card out of it. yeah could have saved 120$ but i like the fact that this card preforms better and when the time comes I can help others with my new found knowledge haha learn the hard way you never forget haha
Thanks anyways
"Any news is good news because at least you know whats going on"

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

no with the card in rig it wont POST thus no DOS thus dead card....only solution is bios chip. or send it in and then if they find out you flashed it a they would catch that they would say they would REFLASH the bios at your cost but they just replace the chip in my case....if i could get it to post i could have saved it but like I said no post