Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is my North Bridge too hot or a bad probe?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 26, 2012 6:51:15 AM

got done playing BF3, started looking through some sites, here, mmochamp, d3 forums etc, when i noticed origin taking up 30% of my i5 2500k. saw on my 2nd monitor that TEMP2 was 103c... yes 103c, i closed origin and it went back down to 50-60c. i have a temp gun from my nitro rc truck i have, the heat sink was around 130-140c max

here are two pics, 1 is my GPU/MB and where the Chipset is, and one is the temps from two different programs.

http://imageshack.us/g/824/temphs.png/ (yes i know a lot of dust on the wires... but nowhere else really. Will be cleaning case out in a day or so)

I HAVE not had any BSODs or crashes or anything of the like, systems runs 100% fine. just kinda freaking out about the 103c temps lol

the avg temp TEMP2 has is around 50-60c idle, and 77-86c during games. only time i seen it go beyond 90c is cuz of origin doing who knows what in the background....

Specs:

Case: HAF 932 default fans that came with the case
MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: I5 2500k OC 4.1ghz
Ram: DDR3 8gb
GPU: 6950 non flashed and non OC (Flash to 6970 caused game crashes when more than 1gb of vram was used)
PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W

need any more info and ill be happy to supply.

Question: Is it a bad probe or is it really getting that high? and if so what can i do about it?
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2012 8:16:48 AM

my temp3 runs at -128C all the time

the chip would die in a hurry if the heat sync is reading 130C

most motherboards come with thermal protection for the northbridge, so if it's getting too hot, that should trigger

i absolutely love how newegg will no longer let me look at us links because i signed into the canadian site
July 26, 2012 1:06:48 PM

ya my temp gun is prob off a bit xD

if it didn't do anything at 103c then i guess its a bad probe? do you know the TJ Max of a chipset?

side questing related to temps...

will 8x of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan CFM 133 be good in a haf 932 case? 4 on side, 3 on top and 1 on back to replace the default fans? 1 230mm 110 CFM side, 1 230mm 110 CFM top and 130mm 60 CFM back at 110cfm for all default fans
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 26, 2012 1:41:27 PM

KrackerCo said:
got done playing BF3, started looking through some sites, here, mmochamp, d3 forums etc, when i noticed origin taking up 30% of my i5 2500k. saw on my 2nd monitor that TEMP2 was 103c... yes 103c, i closed origin and it went back down to 50-60c. i have a temp gun from my nitro rc truck i have, the heat sink was around 130-140c max

here are two pics, 1 is my GPU/MB and where the Chipset is, and one is the temps from two different programs.

http://imageshack.us/g/824/temphs.png/ (yes i know a lot of dust on the wires... but nowhere else really. Will be cleaning case out in a day or so)

I HAVE not had any BSODs or crashes or anything of the like, systems runs 100% fine. just kinda freaking out about the 103c temps lol

the avg temp TEMP2 has is around 50-60c idle, and 77-86c during games. only time i seen it go beyond 90c is cuz of origin doing who knows what in the background....

Question: Is it a bad probe or is it really getting that high? and if so what can i do about it?

Okay I won't lecture you on cleaning...

Clearly I know what MSI Afterburner looks like, so try turning that off (Disabling) and then Clean all of that dust out and then compare the temps ;) 

Reference cards are not good candidates for overclocking and to compound clearly a dust bowl + OC'ing = hot if not very hot temps.

nna2 said:
my temp3 runs at -128C all the time

That's a NULL probe and probably from HW Monitor.

Keep in mind a couple things: 1. There's no standardization, 2. It's never a good idea to run more than (1) 'probe' app at a time IF the apps are reading the SAME temps (polling the same probe).
July 27, 2012 2:31:02 AM

Never had a problem with MSI afterburner and GPUz at the same time. my 6950 runs like a beast, temps never above 72c with 40% fan at 100% GPU load.

like i said, i keep my components very clean, only the wires are dusty. the blue heat sink is what I'm asking about, i guess that's what temp2 is. if i keep my ac on at 70f temp2 never goes above 60c and if nothing happened at 103c then i guess i don't need to worry :( 

rest of my temps are well below max and only ever get near somewhat hot is when its 100f in my room, blame the bad insulation of the house xD
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 5:27:21 AM

KrackerCo said:
Never had a problem with MSI afterburner and GPUz at the same time. my 6950 runs like a beast, temps never above 72c with 40% fan at 100% GPU load...

...like i said, i keep my components very clean...

...when its 100f in my room, blame the bad insulation of the house xD

I'm not saying MSI Afterburner is 'bad', but obviously with your OC the GPU then obviously it's going to tun hot.

Ah okay, I can see the GPU fan...and it's loaded-up with dust.

Duh, 100F is VERY VERY hot and even under normal conditions your ~20F from max operational temps from some of the components. Meaning some sate 120F max ambient temps.

Add to the To Do list at least some form of A/C, or on OC @ night.
July 27, 2012 5:46:21 AM

i think we got mixed up somewhere :D 

my GPU is fine, has no temp problems, only thing that might have a prob is the blue heat sink in http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/imag0385qt.jpg/

the BLUE HEAT SINK, the one on the motherboard, speed fan says its anywhere from 60-103c, it hit 103c when origin was doing something in the background, no idea what.

Once again... My temps are fine with or without my AC, never above 65c for cpu stock fan oc to 4.1ghz, and 75c stock GPU 6950 at full load..

Sorry if i wasn't very clear :( 

a c 715 V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 1:53:56 PM

Sure I'm confused when you 'say' the Room Temps is 100F = 38C and your PC temps are sub-ambient:
KrackerCo said:
100f in my room
The post these Temps: Post the PC temps with you room @ 100F just after running a game for 20 minutes.

At what room temperature??!! I mean don't you 'get' that IF your room is a 100F/38C that that's the root of the problem - or what?!
KrackerCo said:
60-103c, it hit 103c
July 27, 2012 3:17:21 PM

sorry if i was exaggerating a bit, was a long day. :|

Forget about any other temp, because they are below 80c all the time.

TEMP2 in the pic, just TEMP2, is it norm for it to get to 103c, that's all i really want to know.. :( 

once again, BLUE HEAT SINK= TEMP2, only thing im talking about atm

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 4:48:17 PM

In the IMAGES I see no '103C' for the 'PCH' so forgetting the IMAGES and forgetting the ROOM Temps. The only high temps I noticed were that of the GPU @ 0% load (Display IO) 62C~66C (Shader) and in FanSpeed in your case the CPU internal temp appears to be the Temp1 but Temp2?? Using FanSpeed the Temp1, Temp2 etc vary from one MOBO to another; more info see - http://www.almico.com/sffaq.php I don't rely on third party apps for accurate readings. About the most updated app are the commercial apps e.g. AIDA64. Otherwise I know apps like MSI Control Center offer 'correct' temp sensor labels.

In FanSpeed assuming the 'min 35C...max 81C' is the PCH then 81C is high but not completely out of the ordinary IF you were running a series of benchmarks with OC'ing.

So speaking in typical conditions and assuming the 'PCH' (chipset) temps, 103C (~217F) is very high. However, I don't see the temp listed shown in any of the pictures you provided.
July 28, 2012 12:52:20 AM

Sadly i used the same pic more than 1 time to show a friend on steam, was just speed fan with it at 103c, then i stupidly replaced it with the one you see now, i normally have tons of backs of things i do. :( 
July 28, 2012 12:52:27 AM

Best answer selected by KrackerCo.
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 28, 2012 6:01:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!