1st Pc Build Gaming PC $1000-$1200

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2011 7:49:05 PM

Hello, I'm new to PC Buidling. But I have a friend who can help me out with Building it. I need a New Gaming pc.

What I would Like to Have

CPU: I7 Sand Bridge
GPU: High End

I don't need a SSD! I just want the CPU & GPU to Be the Best , if you know what I mean. I'll se what you come up with:) 

Thanks.

P.S I want to run FSX & BF3 (When it comes out.) On 50+ FPS MAX

More about : 1st build gaming 1000 1200

July 31, 2011 4:37:18 AM

What's your budget?

You also need to worry about everything else, too, the case, memory, mobo, dvd drive, psu especially, can run you a good bit of money, in addition to the processor and graphics card.

The Core i7 is a bit of an overkill as far as current games go. The i5 will do you just as well, and is way less expensive. As far as higher-end GPUs, I really need a budget estimate, because a $200 GPU is quite a bit different than a $650 one. As far as cost-to-benefit, I like the GTX 570. But you can up-that to a GTX 580 if you're willing to spend some more $$. :) 
July 31, 2011 9:15:52 AM

QwertyMusicMan said:
What's your budget?

You also need to worry about everything else, too, the case, memory, mobo, dvd drive, psu especially, can run you a good bit of money, in addition to the processor and graphics card.

The Core i7 is a bit of an overkill as far as current games go. The i5 will do you just as well, and is way less expensive. As far as higher-end GPUs, I really need a budget estimate, because a $200 GPU is quite a bit different than a $650 one. As far as cost-to-benefit, I like the GTX 570. But you can up-that to a GTX 580 if you're willing to spend some more $$. :) 

Hey Overall I have a Budget of $1300 , Probably get that out to $1400. I want one of the best GPU out their. I've heard a GTX 570 & Raden 6950 are good. Also I need UBS3.0 for Editing.

Does a GTX 580 Peform Better in Games and but how much FPS? Is their any Benchmarks On here? Which one would you suggest for my budget 570 , 580?

Thanks you.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 31, 2011 12:20:40 PM

How well the GPU performs depends on your monitor resolution. The 580 is king at 1920x1080, but the 6970 trumps all others at 2560x1600. The 6950 and 6970 tend to outperform the 560Ti and 570 (respectively) at 1920x1080 and higher.

The i5-2500K + 6970/570 should be easily doable on $1300; you might not be able to go for the 580, but realize that all of these GPUs run most games on max above 60 FPS.
July 31, 2011 12:30:16 PM

Do you think the 580 would be worth the upgrade? How much would it improve fps?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 31, 2011 12:35:18 PM

Again, I can't say anything until I know what resolution you're gaming at (unless your budget includes a monitor as well).

Here's how the 580 performs against the 6970, but take note of the resolutions (also keep in mind many of the games on that list are known to be somewhat NVidia favored):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=305

Ideally you want ~60FPS, but 40+ will still look ok.
July 31, 2011 3:05:02 PM

Yeah, what he said. The 580 and 6970 are both great options, you can't go wrong. :) 

Be sure to get an Intel mobo with your i5, because Intel processors are only compatible with Intel mobos.
July 31, 2011 3:28:56 PM

You mean the same CPU & mobo socket , eg 1115 socket. Can you have a gigabyte mono and an i5 CPU. I'll be running my computer on a 32 inch tv or a 50 inch plasma via hdmi. Not sure about resolution. I think I'll have enough money to run two gtx 580 in sli. How many fps will that add?
July 31, 2011 3:34:56 PM

Most-likely a lot. As long as the CPU and mobo are using the same socket, you'll be good-to-go.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 31, 2011 4:18:17 PM

irock97 said:
You mean the same CPU & mobo socket , eg 1115 socket. Can you have a gigabyte mono and an i5 CPU. I'll be running my computer on a 32 inch tv or a 50 inch plasma via hdmi. Not sure about resolution. I think I'll have enough money to run two gtx 580 in sli. How many fps will that add?

You can use a board from any manufacturer as long as the CPU socket (1155 in this case) matches the motherboard socket (1155 for H67, P67 and Z68 - H67 does NOT support OCing). Something like the Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 would be a good choice for the money, and will support 2 GPUs.

HDTVs run at 1920x1080 (which seems odd, because 30" monitors can run at 2560x1600), so the 580 would be your best choice. 2x580s would run you $1000 and you'll be looking at a 1000W power supply (~$200+), so it won't all fit in your budget (unless you've got some money that's outside your listed budget).

Don't worry about getting a second GPU from the beginning; you can't actually see a difference in FPS once you get over 60, regardless of the display. Getting 2 GPUs to hit 150 FPS is pointless, especially when you need money for other parts of the system.

Here's what I'd pick out:

i5-2500K + Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 (didn't have the Z68 in a combo) - $380 - $15 MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Corsair HX1050 PSU + Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3-1600 RAM - $285 - $10 MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

EVGA GTX 580 (Lifetime Warranty card - EVGA is IMHO the best NVidia manufacturer) - $460 - $20 MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Samsung F3 1TB (fastest hard drive on the market) - $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - $120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lite-On DVD Reader/Writer (standard optical drive) - $20: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64bit - $95: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (great CPU cooler for the money) - $30: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10...

Total before rebates: $1450
Total after rebates: $1405

With this you have an incredibly fast system with plenty of space in the full tower for upgrades, and the power supply is more than enough for 2x580s. This list just gives you something to work with and tweak.
July 31, 2011 7:08:51 PM

Thanks for That:)  I Think I'll Change the Mobo , so I can OC It. I want this Computer to be Future proof , last me for at least 3 Years:)  I will upgrade it in that time.

Do you think Water Cooling would be wise or maybe a SSD to Run windows off? When I have more Money? I Might change the case , Does that Matter? To a HAF Cool master. It's a bit cheaper and it looks pretty nice and will let me water cool it as well:) 

I think , I Might buy This Rig:)  I allready Have Windows 7 , So I could get This down to atleast $1300.

Thank you again:)  Very Helpfull.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 31, 2011 7:34:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for That:)  I Think I'll Change the Mobo , so I can OC It. I want this Computer to be Future proof , last me for at least 3 Years:)  I will upgrade it in that time.

P67 and Z68 both support OCing. The only difference is that Z68 has caching, integrated graphics, and transcoding improvements. Either one is ok, really.

Quote:
Do you think Water Cooling would be wise or maybe a SSD to Run windows off?

True water cooling is somewhat expensive depending on how good you want the system to be. The closed loop CPU coolers like the Corsair H100 are getting better, but they aren't necessarily as good as a custom loop.

A SSD makes noticeable improvements in the load time of the OS and any programs on it, but to get a good 120GB drive is somewhat expensive. You could easily drop the GPU down to a 6970/570 and afford a SSD though.

Quote:
I Might change the case , Does that Matter? To a HAF Cool master. It's a bit cheaper and it looks pretty nice and will let me water cool it as well:) 

Which case are you looking at? The Phantom is cheaper than the HAF 932, it's full tower counterpart, and the Phantom will fit a dual 120mm radiator as well.

July 31, 2011 8:29:42 PM

Does It Matter I'm going to Have a separate Graphics Card (GTX 580) and one intergrated in? Does that matter at all?

I probaly won't Bother with Water Cooling , Inless I want to do some Serious OC. How much could I OC it with Air?

I think I would have a 580 , Instead of a SSD. Save the Money to one day get another 580. Even for an 80GB one it's like £150! One day I Might get one?

Also , I'm going to be using with a Black Magic. So I need space to Do a Raid 0 ( I've got a 250GB Hard drive lying around somewhere.)

Will I need to do a Raid 0 For the Black Magic with this Rig.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 31, 2011 8:39:02 PM

Quote:
Does It Matter I'm going to Have a separate Graphics Card (GTX 580) and one intergrated in? Does that matter at all?

It won't affect anything, because the 580 will override the integrated graphics. However, if you ever have to remove the 580 because you need to RMA it, you can still use the computer.

Quote:
I probaly won't Bother with Water Cooling , Inless I want to do some Serious OC. How much could I OC it with Air?

Watercooling is easy to add on later as well.

The Hyper 212+ should handle a good OC. It was well reputed for allowing the older (and much hotter) i7-900 CPUs to OC to 4.5+ GHz. The new Sandy Bridge CPUs are great OCers and run very cool. I've heard many people say they can get to 4 GHz without upping the voltage.

Quote:
I think I would have a 580 , Instead of a SSD. Save the Money to one day get another 580. Even for an 80GB one it's like £150! One day I Might get one?

That's up to you. I'd probably make the same decision, TBH.

Quote:
Also , I'm going to be using with a Black Magic. So I need space to Do a Raid 0 ( I've got a 250GB Hard drive lying around somewhere.)

I don't know what a Black Magic is. RAID 0 I believe requires you to use 2 hard drives of the same size/specs, or else the hard drives will default to the lower size/specs. You can ask on the RAID forums for more information.
July 31, 2011 10:11:54 PM

Thanks for that Very Helpfull again:) 

Black Magic Records HD Signals. So , It need to be able to write high speeds because it's saving un compressed 720P signals:) 
!