Modular PSU

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
On a Modular powersupply.... what cables are hardwired? Just the Motherboard Connection? It seems since I left off the modular pSU's seemed to get much better and seems like a go to choice.

Depends on the psu, some are fully modular some are known as hybrids due to the native cable's.
In most cases you'll end up using the all of the native cable's.
If you want to learn how to size your psu on your own check out the sticky at the top of the forum.
Or, post your specs and get reccomendations from the members.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Modular isn't a huge deal for most people, especially if they use a lot of cables in their build. If you have bare minimum hardware, such as 1 gpu, 1 hdd, 1 cd-drive, etc., modular PSU's can greatly increase airflow throughout the case. Most modular spec'd PSU's are hybrid, meaning the MoBo, CPU, and at least 1 6-pin (gpu) cable are hardwired. My suggestion, dont worry about modular, as most quality PSU's will have that feature. Like delluser1 stated, if you have questions you dont feel the sticky answers, or just want personal feedback, hit us up here with questions.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Yea Im figuring a corsair modular pro 850... I think that's probably over board compared to what i need... If i have the money i'll step it to the 1000w to insure support for 2 gfx cards. But i think that's gonna be over kill.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i would recommend either an HX850 or HX1050 then. Both of these will give you either AMD/ATI security or GTX security. HX850 for the amd side will allow you to run up to 3 6950's i believe (200W max load = 600W + system = appr. 800W). You can run 2 GTX580's off the HX850, but no headroom, so the HX1050 would cover that easy. Should be relatively future proof for upcoming models as everyone is going energy efficient now with the "green movement".