Is intel i5 processor only compatible with intel motherboards?

avishekbhandari

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
my question is whether intel i5 processor compatible with intel motherboards?if not,plz suggest a suitable mobo with i5,primarily for gaming.thanx!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There are a lot of good motherboard manufacturers that will support Intel processors. ASUS and Gigabyte are 2 of the big ones. You can read the builds that this website does by picking the links on the front page and see which brands they have chosen in the past. My favorite is Gigabyte but I'm not a gamer. For gaming there are some boards that support certain video card configurations better than others. If you would provide an idea of what kind of video cards you want to run then that would help people to make suggestions to you.

You need to get an Intel-compatible motherboard that matches the socket of the CPU. The new i5-2500K is an 1155 socket CPU, so you need a motherboard with an 1155 socket (H67, P67, Z68 chipset-based boards).

You don't need a board made specifically by Intel though - some of the most reliable boards come from Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, EVGA, etc. You just need to make sure that you get the right CPU and matching motherboard, and that you stick with the P67/Z68 chipset for overclocking (H67 DOES NOT support OC).