Need help with CPU/GPU upgrade

manonymous

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Let me start by saying that I bought BF3 with the ambitious (!) hope that it might run under any settings on my old-ish computer. Nope. It runs but it is essentially useless, even at minimum settings and lowest resolution. So, I am hoping to upgrade not only because things are getting slow in general but also because I'd like to play BF3.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with an E6300 C2D @1.86. The game freezes sometimes because its using 100% CPU.

I also have a GeForce 8600GTS (256MB) that I upgraded from the stock Dell GPU, and bought a power supply as well: PC Power & Cooling S47D Silencer 470 Dell Replacement Power Supply (470W)

So, if I were to upgrade my CPU and/or GPU, where do I begin? What can I do? Will it make any difference?

How do I know if a new CPU will be compatible with my machine and how do I avoid overpowering my power supply? Should I post any more information about my PC?

Oh, and one more point. Thanks to Dell the GPU must be single slot only.

Lets say my budget is ~$300-350 (canadian)

Thanks so much for any help.
P.S.I hope I posted this in the proper manner - please let me know if I need to move/repost.

You might be able to run the q6600, but it's at least $100, and I wouldn't put that much into your old system. If the board is held in by screws, you might be able to use a standard atx or micro atx motherboard and change it out. If the motherboard snaps in, then you can't change it easily. The video card is rated for a 400w ps, so it should work fine. Be sure your 470 watt ps has the 6 pin connector for the card.

manonymous

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

1280x800 is fine. my monitor is native 1680x1050. i was hoping for a more optimistic answer...

manonymous

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

would you be able to elaborate on this a bit? first you mention a CPU, then a board... are you suggesting I get a new motherboard? will a q6600 and the other video card be okay together with only 470 Watts supply?

Yes, the power supply will run the q6600 and video card. But the q6600 may not work; your board chipset is old; it's a gamble to try it. But the q6600 is easier to sell than other used cpus; it's one of the most popular quad cores ever made. But don't pay more than $90-100 for it in case it doesn't work. If you install it and the system won't post, then you'll know the board bios doesn't support it. I mentioned the motherboard change only in case you wanted to reuse the dell case someday, but it's not necessary. A good antec 300 case is only $50 or so on sale.

manonymous

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Is there any way to easily find out which cpus are compatible with my motherboard?
From CPU-Z, the chipset is: intel P965/G965 and the Southbridge is Intel 82801HH.

Why do you suggest I get a new case?
How do I deal with cooling on a different CPU?

Thanks for your help so far!

The case is only if you change boards and it doesn't fit your old dell. Older dell cases didn't always work with standard atx or micro atx motherboards. Yours looks ok. The cooling will be different on the quad; that's another issue that may prevent you from trying it. Some dells use a passive heatsink with a vent to the fan on the back of the case. So if you don't want to deal with these issues, just stick with the newer video card, which you can use on your next system. I saw two dell systems recently; one for $260 and the other for $300 online. You may just want to sell your old system someday and start over. I started building my own twenty years ago and have not regretted it. If you ever decide to do it, you can get basic package deals from newegg for around $300 (shellshocker daily specials) and find the windows software on craigslist.