justuseahammer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hello,
I'm planning to build a workstation primarily for photoshop use, however, I'm feeling a bit lost since I'm not sure what I should prioritize.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Probably within a week.

Budget Range:
$600-$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Large files in Photoshop, Illustrator, internet browsing...
Will potentially be doing video editing sometime in the future.

Parts Not Required:
OS, speakers, mouse, keyboard not required.
Considering re-using an old case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
newegg

Parts Preferences:
No preference. However, unsure what I should be considering.
Should I be looking at sandybridge? Or is this out of reach with the current budget? If being somewhat future-proof is important, would it be a good idea to get a am3+ mobo with a plan to upgrade sometime after bulldozer is released?

Overclocking:
Probably not

SLI or Crossfire:
If needed. Since no gaming will be done on this build, would a minimal gpu suffice? Or should I expect software to use more graphics acceleration in the future (for example in video editing) and get a decent gpu?

Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080- monitor isn't very important right now

Additional Comments:
Since a lot of work will be done with large files, would having a working ssd in parallel with a large storage drive be a good idea?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
My opinion is you don't need to spend $1000 onto a rig for photoshop use. Graphic cards won't benefit you. The monitor isn't as important. I think the only benefits are a healthy amount of RAM 8gb seems to be good enough, and a dedicated hard drive. Consider getting both a SSD and HDD.