Solved

Video Card for 3d modeling and rendering

Hi, I'm an architecture student and I'm buying a new pc.
By now what I have is a Core i7 950 processor and 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600, and I know that both things are important for rendering.
What I would like to ask is which video card should I buy for working with:

+ Autocad 2011
+ 3d Studio Max 2011
+ ZBrush
+ Adobe Photoshop CS5 (and also the other programs of the Master Suite CS5)
+ Cinema 4d
+ Luxology Modo 501
+ Google Sketchup Pro 8
+ Maya 2011
+ Mudbox 2011
+ Revit Architecture 2011
+ Archicad 14

And also the power supply.

What I would like to add is the fact that I live in Uruguay so buying a Nvidia Quadro or an ATI FirePro would mean to have to buy it in USA (with all the taxes...)

Thanks!
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video card modeling rendering
  1. Unfortunately for you, the Quadro and FirePro are going to be the cards you'll need. They're specially designed for those types of applications.

    Power supply wise, just match up the required power on the card to whatever PSU you want. I advise making sure you get a quality brand name PSU, not some no-name crap. IE: Get a Corsair, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Thermaltake, etc. Something that's proven itself in the industry.
  2. :( You mean that gaming cards may not work with those applications?
  3. Although workstation cards are made for this, a gaming card will work. It's only really for the viewports anyways. Fill this out and we could help you more. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
  4. You could always get nvidia cards that have cuda, but it isn't comparable with workstation graphics cards.
  5. k1114 said:
    Although workstation cards are made for this, a gaming card will work. It's only really for the viewports anyways. Fill this out and we could help you more. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice


    Thanks! Here it goes

    Approximate Purchase Date: a few weeks

    Budget Range: USD 200 - 400

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d Modeling and Rendering, CAD applications, video edition, photo edition, watching movies, internet surfing

    Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I believe that newegg.com

    Country of Origin: Uruguay

    Parts Preferences: An Intel CPU with an Asus mobo

    Overclocking: No

    SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe

    Monitor Resolution: 1366x768

    Additional Comments: I would like a quiet pc. I also need the power supply.
  6. Do you already have the i7? Is it 200-400 for psu+gpu? Newegg doesn't ship international but there are places that will forward it.
  7. k1114 said:
    Do you already have the i7? Is it 200-400 for psu+gpu? Newegg doesn't ship international but there are places that will forward it.


    No, I don't have the i7 but I'll buy it here in Uruguay. What I'm thinking to buy is the i7 950 that costs almost USD 400 and around 350 for the Asus mobo
    The 200-400 is for the video card only
  8. I'd suggest the i7 2600k instead of the 950, and I did notice you did not know that the 950 is tri channel. I wanted you to post your whole budget for the whole pc because it seems you need help with everything.
  9. k1114 said:
    I'd suggest the i7 2600k instead of the 950, and I did notice you did not know that the 950 is tri channel. I wanted you to post your whole budget for the whole pc because it seems you need help with everything.


    :)) Yeah, I think so. In the place that I'm going to buy the i7 they have the i7 2600 and the i7 2600k, but there is almost USD 100 of difference between them. Which are the differences between those processors?
    And if I buy one of those the motherboard that will work with them is this one:

    http://www.tranza.com/softis/pv/4427/ASUS-P8P67-LE-S1155/ASUS/P8P67-LE_REV3.0_I5-I3-I7SATA-3_USB_3.0_DDR3_S-1155.html

    Also how much memory and frecuency should I buy? I was thinking in 8 gb ddr3 1600
  10. Also the problem with P67 mobos, that SATA II ports stop working after a while, is that true?
    I mean, the HDs that are in the market here are all SATA II, that's the reason why I chose the 950 instead of the 2600 but since we're discussing about this I would like to ask about that too
  11. k1114 said:


    I already have the computer case, a Thermaltake Soprano. The video card I was thinking of a Nvidia Quadro 600 (which costs USD 300 here). And about the mobo I was thinking to buy the P8P67-LE Asus, is it a wrong model?
  12. I was just giving you an idea of what to get, I really have no idea on your budget. The quadro 600 has 96 cuda cores vs the 560ti with 384 so you can see that will make a difference. The p8p67 is fine but these usd prices you are giving me are a complete ripoff when you can just get it off newegg or amazon for a lot less.
  13. k1114 said:
    I was just giving you an idea of what to get, I really have no idea on your budget. The quadro 600 has 96 cuda cores vs the 560ti with 384 so you can see that will make a difference. The p8p67 is fine but these usd prices you are giving me are a complete ripoff when you can just get it off newegg or amazon for a lot less.


    Yes, here it's quite expensive to buy computer parts so I'm considering to buy it in newegg, but also the international ship is one thing to consider.

    I always thought that Nvidia Quadro were the best for 3d modeling, that's why I was asking about video cards because here I can buy a GTX 460 or an ATI as for gaming cards. But from what I been reading in the Autodesk Forums they say that 4xx series of Nvidia GTX work poorly, with too many crashes. I don't want to buy a video card that will end up not working.

    My current pc (a Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM and a Nvidia 9400 GT) works nicely with easy stuff but I wanted to have a better workstation.
    Since the 9400 GT has 16 cuda cores, the Quadro 600 is an improvement.

    Which card do you think that will work better? Either for 3d modeling/rendering, cad applications and video edition
  14. mapitux said:
    :( You mean that gaming cards may not work with those applications?

    Gaming cards will work with modeling (I use gaming cards for my rigs, and I do a whole bunch of rendering and modeling on my spare time) just cards from the quadro and firepro series are designed for this. However they can be up to $4,000. If I were you, I would just get something like 3 way sli with GTX 480's. Good for gaming and rendering :D
  15. Best answer
    The main difference in workstation cards vs regular cards are the drivers. The extra money put into driver stability and other efficiency improvements for the programs that they are made for are really not worth the extra cost to nonprofessionals where you could just save money and get more performance for a regular card.

    A lot of the complaints were about old drivers, I really don't see any issues with them now. The work you're talking about is better off being done by the cpu rather than the gpu anyways and the gpu would only be for the viewport in 3d apps and realtime viewing of the videos in video editing(not edition), where the extra cores would help more than drivers. In this reasoning, a lot of people doing your work get lower end cards, saving money on regular cards since the cpu is much more important.

    IMO workstation cards are only worth it when 1) this is how you make money or 2) you can afford the higher end ones, but you don't have the budget for them.

    Edit: I use regular cards myself and never had them crash or have issues. And I have worked on workstation cards and although I can tell some difference, I can't see myself paying that much more for them.
  16. k1114 said:
    The main difference in workstation cards vs regular cards are the drivers. The extra money put into driver stability and other efficiency improvements for the programs that they are made for are really not worth the extra cost to nonprofessionals where you could just save money and get more performance for a regular card.

    A lot of the complaints were about old drivers, I really don't see any issues with them now. The work you're talking about is better off being done by the cpu rather than the gpu anyways and the gpu would only be for the viewport in 3d apps and realtime viewing of the videos in video editing(not edition), where the extra cores would help more than drivers. In this reasoning, a lot of people doing your work get lower end cards, saving money on regular cards since the cpu is much more important.

    IMO workstation cards are only worth it when 1) this is how you make money or 2) you can afford the higher end ones, but you don't have the budget for them.

    Edit: I use regular cards myself and never had them crash or have issues. And I have worked on workstation cards and although I can tell some difference, I can't see myself paying that much more for them.


    Well, I been looking at all of the parts and the dealers here are telling me that to buy the parts in USA an ship them here, paying all the taxes and that stuff is way out of what I pretend to spend (just the i7 with the memory is over USD 800).
    So, I would like to know if this parts doesn't have any compatibility problem between them:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641R&cm_re=P6X58D-E-_-13-131-641R-_-Product (ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re=i7_950-_-19-115-211-_-Product (Intel Core i7 950)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104246&cm_re=ddr3_1600-_-20-104-246-_-Product (8 GB DDR3 1600 Kingston)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152287 (HD 1.5 TB Samsung)
    22X DVD±R/DVD IDE Lightscribe Samsung
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171039 (COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply)

    And for the video cards:

    Gaming (Nvidia or ATI)
    Nvidia Quadro 600
  17. It shouldn't cost that much if you use something like this. http://www.viaddress.com/

    If you choose not to: the ram you choose needs to be tri channel (3 stick kit). And you'd want a 7200rpm hdd unless you have an ssd. For psu, I usually would say to stick with antec, corsair, seasonic or xfx. That cooler master isn't really good just glancing at it, it's not even 80+.
  18. k1114 said:
    It shouldn't cost that much if you use something like this. http://www.viaddress.com/

    If you choose not to: the ram you choose needs to be tri channel (3 stick kit). And you'd want a 7200rpm hdd unless you have an ssd. For psu, I usually would say to stick with antec, corsair, seasonic or xfx. That cooler master isn't really good just glancing at it, it's not even 80+.


    You mean that 8 GB DDR3 in the i7 won't work? So I have to buy either 6 GB or 12?
  19. i7 950 I mean
  20. Yes, the i7 950 is tri channel so 6gb or 12gb, notice how the mobo has 6 slots, 2 different colors. Try to get a kit of 3 so that you know it'll be compatible in tri channel.

    Oh ya, I meant to post this before. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-15.html
  21. k1114 said:
    Yes, the i7 950 is tri channel so 6gb or 12gb, notice how the mobo has 6 slots, 2 different colors. Try to get a kit of 3 so that you know it'll be compatible in tri channel.

    Oh ya, I meant to post this before. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-15.html


    Thanks. I'll try to buy the 2600k. But the only motherboard that they sell here is the P8P67. The Z58 are better, isn't it?
    And also, which videocard?
  22. The z68 can use quicksync but it's not really necessary as there's only a few programs that use it now. The 2600k has a big advantage in overclocking too, which is really easy. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

    For video card, you could go the quadro if you want. Otherwise for a gtx, a 560ti would be good, if you want to go less, the 560 (non ti version), 460, or 550ti, depending on the price you can find. Just make sure you do not get the se version, I like to call it the sucky edition.
  23. k1114 said:
    The z68 can use quicksync but it's not really necessary as there's only a few programs that use it now. The 2600k has a big advantage in overclocking too, which is really easy. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

    For video card, you could go the quadro if you want. Otherwise for a gtx, a 560ti would be good, if you want to go less, the 560 (non ti version), 460, or 550ti, depending on the price you can find. Just make sure you do not get the se version, I like to call it the sucky edition.


    Ok then, the 2600k, a P8P67 mobo, 8 gb drr3 1600 RAM, HD 1.5 TB 7200 RPM, an Antec power supply (600 W or higher?).
    With the video cards I'm almost at the same price with the Quadro. So... Quadro 600 or GTX560Ti Evga?
  24. Oh! I almost forgot to ask. If I don't intend to overclock the i7, the 2600 is fine or should I buy the 2600k for better performance?
  25. A 550w is fine as long as it's a good quality. Would you know the model you're getting?

    A 2600 would be a little cheaper but same performance. It can actually still overclock to 4.2ghz.

    The video card is up to you, I've already stated the differences.
  26. I suggest that you be more conservative about what card that you choose and aim a little higher on the psu with the intentions of later upgrades in mind. If you want to use a normal gaming card then get something that isn't going to be to needy of your attention such as maintenance or mods. Avoid the gtx 460 if you are not willing to get to know how this cards works and how to keep it alive. You want something that is going to get the job done. As a student my self having a machine that I know that I can count on to get the work done is very important. The gtx 560 ti has the mid plate which does help with power vrm and vram cooling but those need a little tinkering and they are just right.

    Let us know if you are interested in ati cards.
  27. For the power supply I manage this two models:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

    And about the cards I know that ATI are good ones but I have good experience with Nvidia. The point is that I'm not willing to risk a good amount of money into buying a gaming card that will end up not working or not giving its best because it's not designed for that.
    Of course, I don't have USD 1000 or plus for the video card, that's why I'm aiming at that Quadro (the Quadro 600).
    The GTX 560 doesn't appear as certified hardware in Autodesk :S
  28. I would get the Quadro my self, there is one I might splurge one day just to own if I ever got the opportunity.

    Bronze certified unit hands down. Higher the class or rating of the unit the better over all quality is and they actually do save a little on the power bills enough to make up the cost in savings.
  29. If I buy the i7 2600 instead of the 2600k there is no problem with the P8P67 mobo, right?. Because in some websites use the H67 chipset instead of the P67 (I prefer the P67)
  30. Intel = confusing

    I miss the good old days ware choosing a cpu was simple.
  31. P67 will be fine, it's better imo if you ever feel like a OC to 4.2ghz :)
  32. k1114 said:
    P67 will be fine, it's better imo if you ever feel like a OC to 4.2ghz :)


    Great! and about the two power supplies... which one?
  33. mapitux said:
    Great! and about the two power supplies... which one?


    Dude I already gave you that answer. The 80+ Bronze hello. -_-
  34. nforce4max said:
    Dude I already gave you that answer. The 80+ Bronze hello. -_-


    Hahaha! Sorry :))

    Well thanks to all!
  35. Best answer selected by mapitux.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Rendering Graphics Product