First Build, no video Oputput on first boot

PureChance

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Problem Summary:

■Power on - fans spin up appropriately, appropriate lights light up.
■The POST State LEDs on the motherboard light briefly in the following order, CPU for ~1 second, DRAM for ~1 second, VGA for ~2 seconds.
■~10 seconds after boot the BOOT_DEVICE_LED lights for ~15 seconds.
■~15 seconds after boot the system speaker emits one short beep, which according to the manual means "VGA Detected, Quick boot Set to Disabled, No Keyboard detected". Whilst I realize this may indicate a problem with the keyboard (could it be too old so the BIOS doesn't have the drivers for it? Do I need to get hold of a newer one?) I don't see why this would cause the monitor to display 'no input'.
■The fans then continue to spin for over 2 minutes after boot, and there is no further change. The optical mouse lights up, as does the keyboard. The LED next to the Ethernet cable also lights indicating that it is 'LINKED'.

When I tried to boot the compute deliberately leaving the keyboard unplugged two changed occured. Firstly, the BOOT_DEVICE_LED stayed on for ~20 seconds, and secondly, ~25 seconds after boot (whilst the red BOOT_DEVICE_LED) is still on, the system speaker emits another sound at a slightly lower tone, which could also be considered 1 short beep. All other errors in the manual open with one continuous beep, followed y various numbers of short beeps, and nothing I've heard could be interpreted as continuous.

I have performed most (not all) of the steps on the '"System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist' thread, and have detailed which ones I have not, and why, below. If you think I should still perform them despite the reasons given then I will do so.

System Details:
Mobo - Asus Sabretooth P67

CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-2600K overclocked to 4.60GHz

Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3

The above items were all installed on the motherboard before purchase, and the overclock was also done before purchase, by OverclockersUK)

Heatsink - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B, w/ two attached Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 fans.

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 "2Win!" 2048MB

SSD - Corsair Force 3 120Gb

HDD - Seagate 2TB SATA-600

PSU - Corsair AX 850W

Case - Cooler Master HAF 922

Screen - Xerox XA7-19i

USB 2.0 Keyboard - Dell RT7D60

ODD - Samsung SH-S222AB/RSMS 22x DVD RW/RAM

Checklist items performed:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. I believe so - not sure how I would go about verifying this, but the single beep, and the fact the VGA_LED turns off quickly suggested to me that it was.
5. Yes
6. Not performed, as these were installed before purchase, and the overclock done, I presumed that these were all seated correctly, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to do the overclock, as they wouldn't have been bale to boot to BIOS.
7. Not performed, for the same reason as above, when I purchased the mobo they were already inserted.

8. Yes
9. Not performed - I presume this was done, as the overclock was successful.
10. Ditto
11. Ditto
12. Thermal paste was already applied at time of purchase, so I guess its right.

13. Yes, one of the attached fans is plugged into the CPU_FAN sensing socket, the other into the Chassis fan sensing socket. Both draw power directly from the Power Supply however.
14. Not applicable.
15. Performed, none found
16. I believe I did, but again, not sure how I would verify this. I never felt any static shocks, touched the case regularly, and worked barefoot for what its worth.
17. Yes
18. Yes
19. Yes, no known good cord to compare, but as the computer boots I presume its alright.
20. Not performed - Not a clue, but as they performed the overclock before purchase, I presume so.
21. Not performed - I didn't want to do this, because I don't understand what it actually does, and didn't want to destroy the overclock they had done.
22. Not performed as I couldn't find (either in manual on physically) any sockets on the motherboard to plug a screen into?
23. Yes

As regards the bread boarding etc. I haven't performed that because I'm not confident enough too, and don't want to take apart any bits of the motherboard (chip, memory) that came installed in case I break something and the warranty on it, in case it is a problem with that, in which case I can simply return it and they can fix it.

I believe I've included all relevant information, if there's anything else that would be helpful please let me know.
Many Thanks,

PureChance

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Any suggestions at all would be welcome, even if its just an idea about which part the problem is located in...

Would pictures of the setup be useful in solving the problem? If so, pictures of what parts in particular?

Should I try taking out and putting back the video card?

Does the age of the screen make a difference, should I try it with a newer one? I tried it with another (much older) screen that I knew worked, but still no image, so its not an issue with the screen.

Is it likely to be motherboard/ram/cpu issue and should I contact OverclockersUK to let them know that it isn't working?

What should I actually be seeing on the screen when I boot it up, if I haven't got anything in the CD drive, should it default to showing the BIOS?

Many Thanks,

PureChance

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Aha, problem solved, and I feel foolish. I had 3 sockets to plug the screen into on the GPU (and I did check the manual, it didn't specify which one so I assumed they were all equally good). After the first one didn't work I tried the second one, and having nothing to suggest that the third would be any idfferent I didn't bother trying it. When I finally tried it out of desperation today, it worked. So yay, computer works, boo, I'm a foolish fool.