Sign in with
Your question

Problem with EVGA SuperClocked GTX 560 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2011 3:20:57 PM

A couple of months ago I built a new computer the specs of which are as follows.....

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel

Everything seemed to be fine for the first month or so, but it has recently been having some problems where the screen will freeze and then go black and the I get the following error message.....

I don't have a screen shot of it but there are also times when I will pull up a picture and it will have white dots spread throughout the screen, I will also get lines through flash or videos.

I haven't tried anything yet, but thought about uninstalling and then re-installing the latest drivers from EVGA's website. I would appreciate any other idea's or help that you guys can provide, let me know if you need anything else.
May 26, 2011 2:30:33 PM

Well I guess it's a good thing that nobody else seems to be having the problem, but does anybody happen to have any suggestions for me to try or does it sound like a bad card?

Only reason that I would feel that it might be a bad card is because it was working fine for a while and I wasn't having any problems.
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:48:54 PM

Try the following.
Uninstall re-install the latest drivers
Re-Seed the card(Take it out of it's slot, put it back in)
Try another slot on your motherboard(if you have one).
Flash your motherboards BIOS to the newest edition.

If none of this helps it's an issue with your card and you should contact EVGA or just send it back.

nforce is correct I was being an idiot, my apologies
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
May 26, 2011 6:14:04 PM

No! Don't flash the board! That is some of the worst advice that I have seen in my years of being an active member here. Only flash the board in extreme situations when normal fixes have all but failed. I suggest that you roll back the drivers if you have recently updated. Manually set the fan to 60% or higher if thermal prove to be the problem. If drivers and manually setting the fan fail RMA the card but what ever you do don't flash the board.
m
l
May 26, 2011 6:36:59 PM

Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to try your suggestions, I think I have seen some mentions of a good program to use to make sure that the drivers are completely uninstalled but I can't seem to find it?

Also just for my knowledge why is it such a bad idea to update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version?
m
l
May 26, 2011 6:44:55 PM

travis442 said:
Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to try your suggestions, I think I have seen some mentions of a good program to use to make sure that the drivers are completely uninstalled but I can't seem to find it?

Also just for my knowledge why is it such a bad idea to update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version?

There is a chance that flashing your BIOS will cause the chip to break, even with companies like ASUS making it a tiny bit safer and easier than usual it can still end horribly and should kept as a final option. So although it can be helpful, the negatives can heavily outweigh the positives in most cases, including this one.
Usually the only options for fixing this is to get a new BIOS chip from the company, which takes a while and isn't guaranteed to be an option from all manufactures. I have had issues with in the past with ASUS boards being uncooperative with some of my other hardware, hence the suggestion BUT it still isn't a good idea and if you have the option to send your card back it's far better to do so.

Sorry again for the idiotic suggestion.
m
l
May 26, 2011 7:59:44 PM

Thanks for the update, I appreciate all the help I can get I'm pretty comfortable around a computer but when we start talking about drivers and motherboard BIOS I start to slow down. I haven't had the card for more than a couple of months so I should be good to go as far as sending it back if I have to.
m
l
June 30, 2011 11:11:18 PM

Mine was doing this as well, I updated the drivers and although I havent seen this message in awhile. I still get some tearing when gaming occasionally. Bummer
m
l
July 1, 2011 3:50:06 AM

Speak of the devil, nine just did it yet again. Display driver stopped responding and recovered. wth
m
l
July 1, 2011 2:24:51 PM

Really? I did the same as you and updated to the latest drivers, since doing that I haven't had any issues again. I don't game much really wanted the card for video and photo editing.

The fact that I haven't had any issues is probably because I finally created a ticket with EVGA so that I could start the RMA processes and now I haven't had any problems.
m
l
July 6, 2011 3:07:34 PM

So I haven't had the display driver stop responding yet, but it did start doing the white dots on the screen again last night. I think this time I'm just going to follow through with the RMA and get a new one.
m
l
!