Sign in with
Your question

Asking questions about ram, graphics card

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2011 11:47:16 PM

Hello everyone,
Site's been awesome....SAved me on many counts... Now I hve a few doubts....
1) I have a nVidia Mercury mother board with 2 RAM slots... One has a 1 gb 667Mhz DDR2 RAM...
Now I have purchased a 2gb 667Mhz DDR2 ram. Will using them together affect the computer components or the performance in anyway ??

2) the Mercury mother board has an in built 512 mb RAM. I wish to upgrade it to a new 1gb graphics card. Can you please suggest a good graphics card ?

3) I have heard that DDR3 in incompatible with DDR2. Is there anyway like markings on the motherboard that would help me identify if the motherboard would agree with DDR3 slots ?

Thanks for all the help..
the site rocks.. :) 
a c 120 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 29, 2011 1:03:38 AM

I doubt your mobo runs over 2gb or ram so use 2x1gb ram.
Download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html for an accurate mobo description.
I also doubt you can use DDR3 ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
October 29, 2011 10:08:29 AM

You can use both those sticks of RAM without a problem on the Mobo. Mercury used to be a pretty good Mobo Manufacturer (Asia Side) and came up with some very reliable stuff then. Of ourse the Mobo you mentioned as of that period, did not have any built in memory.... :) 

It shared 512Mb of Ram from your 1GB module to dedicate it as Video Memory for it's IGP.

I have my doubts about you being able to upgrade you Video Card to a 1GB card, because most probably you have a AGP slot on the board and not a PCIe.

DDR3 is not compatible with DDR2, that's true...... if you mean physically.
The mobo must have DDR3 Slots on it for you to be able to use DDR3, and usually they have DDR2 or DDR3 printed right next to the RAM slots depending on which one is compatible.
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2011 4:04:34 PM

thank you ppl...for the answers.. very kind of you both :) 

@alyoshka:
My assumption of the video memory is wrong ??
Please do guide me......coz it says that it has the nvidia 7050 GeForce 610i processor worth 512mb in it.

Also if there any place where we can get a blue print of the mother boards... ?
and AGP slot cannot handle 1gb of video card is it ??

and I did become very happy that my RAM purchase didn;t go for waste... I have got both the RAM;s in the same frequency
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
October 29, 2011 5:18:34 PM

Which one of these boards are you using:
NVIDIA GeForce 7150 and nForce 630i
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 and nForce 630i
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 630i
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 610i

The Last one I think is the one you've mentioned.
Yes, your assumption about the VRAM is wrong, it's capable of supporting upto 512Mb of RAM. (Shared from the Main RAM but Dedicated to the IGP)

Surprisingly , your board does have a PCIe X16 slot and thus you will be able to upgrade to a new GPU with 1GB and More VRAM.

An AGP could handle 1GB Video RAM but it'd work out very expensive.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2011 7:51:05 PM

The speed of processing within the graphics card matters at least as much as how much RAM is on it.

Just go to this website and look over the relative values accorded to each video card

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

There are 512 MB cards out there that perform better than 2GB cards.
m
l
October 30, 2011 1:39:23 AM

thanks again for the quick replies :) 

@alyoshka: ur assumption is right.. I do have the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 610i... kinda misspelled it in a hurry last time....

Now that you say that my mobo supports PCIe slots.... Can you also suggest me some graphics card supporting this format.... It need not be very high end....Just enough for me to do some animations and games....well in other words....slightly on the lower end of the cost scale :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2011 3:39:15 AM

You want to verify that you do have PCIe slots by looking at your computer manual or look up your motherboard part number online, but if you do indeed have one then you don't have to worry about which video card to get anymore if you do.

If you have one, it will be extremely difficult to find a video card you can't use, so you can just buy something that is about the lowest cost thing you can get and you will still be able to do low end gaming with it easily enough.

Something like a HD 5670 or HD 6670 should be pretty cheap and should do everything you need to do.

This chart outlines roughly what power you get from each different card and the sorts of prices you can expect to pay for them online. Just scan down from the top until you hit the first one that is in the price range you are looking for. That will be the most powerful one for that cost.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
October 30, 2011 4:57:28 AM

I'd suggest going in for a HD5770 it's a good enough entry level DX11 GPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slightly on the lower end of the price list, is a very difficult guess, especially for me, since I usually am on a very very tight budget and usually wait quite a while till I buy stuff, and as luck has had it, the day I buy my stuff, they usually launch a real bargain model the next day :( 
So you give me a price range of affordability, nothing is too much and nothing is too little, remember.
m
l
October 31, 2011 2:42:23 PM

alyoshka said:

Slightly on the lower end of the price list, is a very difficult guess, especially for me, since I usually am on a very very tight budget and usually wait quite a while till I buy stuff, and as luck has had it, the day I buy my stuff, they usually launch a real bargain model the next day :( 
So you give me a price range of affordability, nothing is too much and nothing is too little, remember.

Ha ha...that happens doesn;t it.... :) 

Anyways I got a small problem again :( 
I got my RAM delivered today and installed it..When I tried starting the computer my monitor just won;t start. The light at the monitor's bottom seems to be blinking..So power is reaching it....but it does not work....
If there is something wrong with the RAM I guess it should beep..Even otherwise the old 1 GB RAM is still in there..atleast that should work right ??
Please do help me out :) 
Thanks for all the help :) 

forgot to mention..My monitor is an old 15inch CRT monitor....
hope this info will help...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:14:35 AM

Remove the 1 GB stick from the rig and put the 2GB stick in it's place.
Reset the BIOS by shorting the CLR_CMOS jumper or removing the CMOS battery from the mobo for a few minutes and then put it back in and switch on the rig, see that no connections from the back of the case have been dislodged... check and then switch it on.
Get into the BIOS and see that the 2GB shows up there with the correct timings.
Save and exit and boot into windows.....
Then later after you switch it off, put the 1GB Stick back into the new slot and follow the same procedure to check if all 3GB shows up in the BIOS.
Save exit reboot.
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:44:26 PM

alyoshka said:
Reset the BIOS by shorting the CLR_CMOS jumper or removing the CMOS battery from the mobo for a few minutes and then put it back in and switch on the rig, see that no connections from the back of the case have been dislodged... check and then switch it on.
Then later after you switch it off, put the 1GB Stick back into the new slot and follow the same procedure to check if all 3GB shows up in the BIOS.
Save exit reboot.

wow u rock :) 
that worked.....
Thanks a lot :) 
m
l
November 10, 2011 2:23:55 AM

alyoshka said:
Save exit reboot.

hi,
Thanks for everything so far....
but I am having a small confusion

I have already shared my configuration....

Mercury MoBo - NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 610i
Dual Core Processor 2.4 Ghz E2400 (I think)
160 gbhard disk
3 gb DDR2 RAM (2+1)

I use the Win7 Ultimate OS
Earlier i used to have a windows experience index of 3.2/10 when I had 1 gb of RAM
Now after making it 3 gb it still stands at 3.3....

Also games like the Call of Duty : Black Ops and Arkham Asylum which I expected would run now that I have upgraded are moving at a snail's pace.
Not even the characters are moving at a normal pace...

I have already formatted after i put up the RAM...
but the results still don;t make a difference.

2) Also I have one more doubt...Will having more load on the hard disk affect performance.. I have nearly 15gb left on my C Drive but other drives are all quite full.
Will removing them create a difference ?

Kindly Help...
Thanks..
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 2:47:41 AM

alyoshka said:

that card is branded dx 11 but its too weak to do anything in dx 11.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
November 10, 2011 3:30:32 AM

Firstly, your games are running at snails pace is because you're still stuck with the IGP. Get a good card within your reach and play with that.
Secondly, the WEI stands at 3.3 from 3.2 and might go to 3.4 with a total of 4GB of RAM but beyond that I doubt it, not unless you change to DDR3. The Quantity of RAM makes up X number of points in the WEI, and the speed of the RAM makes up for Y number of points and that means the WEI will now go up after you make a dramatic change in that section.
Once you change over from the IGP to another GPU you will see the WEI go up another level.

You must always remember to have more than or 25% of the HDD free for optimum functioning, since you have a pagefile on the same drive you really will experience some lag in game play if you run into a space crisis.

And a Entry Level Dx11 card is not supposed to be doing wonders with Dx11 stuff.... that's why it's entry level, but it'll work perfectly well with Dx10 or Dx9 games..... since the budget is tight and your specs itself will not need to run anything on Dx11 it's best to go for something on the entry levels.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2011 9:22:04 PM

Also, I just wanted to point out that the speed of your hard drive does matter a lot. Cheapy 5400 RPM hard drives perform worse than more expensive 7200 RPM hard drives and those still worse than 10k rpm hard drives.

If you have a 5400 RPM hard drive, the others would increase performance.

As Alyoshka mentioned, if you are using a graphics chip built into the motherboard, then a lot of the resources and stuff used for graphics are offloaded onto the processor and the regular RAM instead of RAM on a graphics card and processors on a graphics card.
m
l
November 21, 2011 12:07:14 AM

Thank you.
Now I am having a better idea..
Just one last thing....
I have mentioned my configuration before...
Do you think that it has been obsolete and that I have to upgrade
or
I can use the same config..provided I upgrade my graphics card for a couple of years more...
kindly advice....
thanks

alyoshka said:
Firstly, your games are running at snails pace is because you're still stuck with the IGP. Get a good card within your reach and play with that.
Secondly, the WEI stands at 3.3 from 3.2 and might go to 3.4 with a total of 4GB of RAM but beyond that I doubt it, not unless you change to DDR3. The Quantity of RAM makes up X number of points in the WEI, and the speed of the RAM makes up for Y number of points and that means the WEI will now go up after you make a dramatic change in that section.
Once you change over from the IGP to another GPU you will see the WEI go up another level.

You must always remember to have more than or 25% of the HDD free for optimum functioning, since you have a pagefile on the same drive you really will experience some lag in game play if you run into a space crisis.

And a Entry Level Dx11 card is not supposed to be doing wonders with Dx11 stuff.... that's why it's entry level, but it'll work perfectly well with Dx10 or Dx9 games..... since the budget is tight and your specs itself will not need to run anything on Dx11 it's best to go for something on the entry levels.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 82 V Motherboard
November 21, 2011 8:39:55 AM

You can use the same config for another year at the most with a new GPU. I'd suggest doing just that and upgrading after about a year and a half when the prices get back to normal hopefully.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2011 2:12:37 PM

Pretty much everything in your configuration is holding the computer back in some respect.

If you get a new video card now from the low end, like the ones I mentioned earlier, you can use that at a later time when you upgrade the core (processor, motherboard, and RAM) to something more modern later.

Given that, there is no really good reason not to buy the video card now UNLESS you intend to buy a fully built system at a later time that will include a video card in it.

If you don't intend to go that route and instead you intend to pick out those 3 pieces singly and shove them into your current case, then just get the graphics card now.

Assuming that you are going to be sticking to budget parts now and in the future, your best bet for getting a video card now would probably fall on the below spectrum somewhere depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Approximate prices and relative performance will be shown corresponding to about what you can expect. The performance numbers don't mean anything except in relation to the numbers of other cards.

Name - Performance - Cost - Performance Units/Dollars Cost

Reference cards, the best of the best currently for performance and performance/cost at the high end

GTX 580 - 3910 - $480 - 8.1
HD 6950 - 3243 - $230 - 14.1

The best performance/cost deals currently available are shown below.

HD 6850 - 2848 - $145 - 19.6
HD 6790 - 2328 - $130 - 17.9
HD 5830 - 2123 - $110 - 19.3
HD 4870 - 1743 - $75 - 23.2
HD 6750 - 1617 - $85 - 19

A caveat, the 4870 is a very old card now and doesn't support Dx11 which will become the standard at some point. If you get the card with the biggest bang for your buck now (4870, at 23.2 bangs per buck) you may be forced to upgrade sooner in the future.

All the other cards support DX11 (I think), so all of them should be pretty much equal in that regard.

The 4870 is the winner in price/performance so much it isn't even close, though, so I thought I would list it as a contender.

If you can get the above cards for cheaper than I have listed them here, that will also affect the bangs/buck calculations I have shown above. You can just divide the numbers yourself, if so, keeping the performance total the same and changing the dollar amounts.

I put in the best card at a variety of price and performance points so feel free to choose which one best suits your budget and performance needs.

Below the examples I provided, performance drops like a rock much faster than price does. I can't suggest any card that costs less than the ones I have presented. The performance potential going into the future for anything costing less than these is just too low to make it not worthwhile. The only thing that can come close to these bangs/buck calculations at a lower price point is also a HD 4000 series card which also doesn't support DX11.

Having Dx11 support going into the future will be valuable, so you may want to exclude the 4870 on that basis, I just listed it because there is literally no card with a higher performance/price ratio.
m
l
!