Sign in with
Your question

Booting problem

Last response: in Motherboards
July 26, 2012 7:10:04 PM

I new to this forum but I have been actively studying and building computers for about 8 years now. I come here in hopes of finding someone else who has had the same problem and solved it or at least a second opinion.

First off my system's specs:
- Intel core i3 running at 3.33 GHz
- ASRock H55M-LE mATX MOBO
- EVGA GTX550 Ti
- 2X4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1066 RAM
- Corsair 650W PSU
- Segate Barracuda 500GB SATAII HDD
- Sony super-multi SATA ODD
- internal USB card reader
- Zalman CPU cooler 92mm all copper air cooler
- Coolermaster Elite 341 mATW case

Here's what happened, after some idle use I had to step away from my computer for what I thought would only be a few minutes. About three hours later I came back to my computer to find it on screen saver as expected what I didn't expect was the system to completely freeze when I wiggled the mouse. The hard drive didn't engage or anything when i moved the mouse the system just froze, so I pressed the reset button. It didn't restart, all the fans come on as well as all the internal components, i.e. the HDD, ODD, but that's all i can say for certain. It doesn't even get to POST, nothing is displayed on the screen, it then cuts completely off for a second or two then comes back on and just repeats. When this first happened I immediately cut power from the computer.

I think something failed during operation but the entire computer is less than a year old. The only two parts older that that is the HDD and the card reader which are maybe 5 years old. So for multiple reasons I thought it was the HDD, I unplugged it from the system and it still does the same thing. I suspect the MOBO which is why I put it in this category. I don't think the RAM is the problem because before I moved the mouse it would have been running the scree saver off the RAM, its when I changed that is froze. Also the GPU and PSU are only about a month old so I don't think those are the problems but they still could be, I don't have a known-good machine to test them in though. Finally I don't think the CPU would have just up and failed and even if it did I don't think the screen saver would have been running, come to think of it for that reason I don't this the GPU and PSU are to blame either.

So that's what I know, please help if you know anything about it, it would be much appreciated.

More about : booting problem

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2012 7:58:56 PM

try to restart with a bare minimum hardware. Remove and disable anything that u may not not need and if possible reset ur bios to safe default. In ur case bios tries to initialize and fails so. Hard disk failure wont give this type of issue. Ram, graphic card, MOBO or psu. Processor dont go down that easily.

There is a piece of hardware called motherboard testing card. It is very cheap and handy. Do a google search
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2012 8:03:41 PM

I have seen a bad CPU's do some strange things but that is quite rare. Slow post mostly. I lean toward a Mobo issue. I would strip out most parts and boot with diagostics for RAM or HDD. Try running burn in software. See if you get the same results with as few hardware variables hooked up.
Related resources
July 31, 2012 11:04:10 PM

I found the problem while doing the bare-bones test, much to my surprise, I figured out one of my sticks of RAM went bad. Popped it out and the computer boots properly, ordered a new one to replace it. Thanks for the replies.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 9:08:03 PM

Yes price_th. I have also seen a bad hard disk giving out slow posts. It is hard to figure out without proper testing hardwares. Still problems can be solved this way.

Great to hear that u have solved ur problem "umdoobby". Make sure that u have ordered ram of same type and brand or u may end up with comparability issues.
!