GA-Z77X-UD5H - No Power!

guicane

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm having a very weird problem and hope you can help as there's very experienced people reading this.

2 weeks ago I have built a gaming/media PC. I have been using it everyday since and loving it. I normally set it to sleep after 3h of inactivity as I also use it as a DLNA server.

This morning I got on my desk and the computer was sleeping so I hit the keyboard as I normally do to bring it up but none of the screens came back. The case power light was on but nothing would happen on the computer itself.
After like 5 minutes of nothing happening I held the power button down to force a shutdown and that worked but that was it. After that it never came back up. Nothing happens, the motherboard stand by lights do not come up, the fans don't spin, the power supply doesn't come on.

I have done the paperclip test and the power supply fan does come on.
Also, after removing the power cable from the psu a couple of times, when I plug it back in I get a couple of seconds of a standby light on the motherboard's power button but that goes away and that's it.

I have bought the motherboard 2 weeks ago and the psu a month ago. I am not sure on what to do here as I don't want to send the PSU to RMA in case it isn't the problem.

I haven't got another one to test so any suggestions?!

The specs are:

i5 3570k
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
8gb Corsair 1600mhz
GeForce GTX670
Samsung SSD + 3x 2TB Hdds
PSU Corsair TX650M

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated!

Thanks

guicane

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Quite a few views but no reply unfortunately.

Thanks for looking anyway.

I thought I'd share here what I found.

I took the motherboard back to the shop where it was bought and they quickly ran a test to find out the motherboard isn't even powering up for them. Dead dead. For no reason.

They swapped it and I'm taking it back home to test tonight.

JohnW_79

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hi!

Something similar happened to me when I got home from work today, the computer ran perfectly from tuesday when I built it and then it started acting up on friday with reboots instead of shutdown and I also had some problems with getting it to start when actually shut down..

Today (monday) when I tried to start it the fans started for about 1 sec then nothing. Tried to run it outside of chassis with only cpu, mb and memory but no go, had a spare PSU but same thing there so my conclusion is that it probably is a faulty mb.

I have the Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 but otherwise the setup is similar.

I'm a bit curious, was it the motherboard that caused your problems?

Best regards JOHN

guicane

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I was sure it was either PSU or MB, did the paper clip test on the PSU and it worked so I took the MB out as I couldn't think of anything else.

On mine the fans wouldn't even start for 1 sec and the power button on the board itself wouldn't light up either which kinda indicated the mobo was dead.

The shop replaced the motherboard and the new one works fine.

The only thing I remember doing was updating the bios to the latest F8 version so I haven't done that on the new board and left it on F4 and so far it's been a few weeks and it's working fine. Also I was setting the computer to go to sleep after a few hours of inactivity but I have stopped that and now I shut it down instead as it takes seconds to start up again.

s33der

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
My MOBO is an "Gigabyte z77x UDh5 wb" and he same happened to me yesterday - 2 months after buying (I bought on august). I did the clip test and my PSU is fine.

In my case, I turn it on, and 40 minutes after (idle, because I was doing another thing) the computer just was dead.

The only way that the MOBO gives me some signal of life is when I press the little button CMOS_SW, near the big red power button in the MOBO. When I press it, the red button blinks one time, pressing again it blinks again, etc. This is the only thing that I discovered to have some breath of life.

I left ASUS after years of problems and now I'm very disappointed with Gigabyte.

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I'm sorry if this is off topic, but I'm soon to buy parts for my first custom build. Do issues with motherboards like these occur often? I'm scared, as I have always been a user of prebuilt ones like Dell. Thanks!

kterekli

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

I got in a very similar situation with a 1 month old board, suddenly stopped booting up, only the onboard power button led would turn on but not other activity, in short a dead MB. I sent it to the technical service and they found it necessary to replace the PCH chip (essentially the southbridge chip) and said this was very unlucky/uncommon situation. Threads on forums indicate otherwise with no shared solutions, so I want to give this info.