6850HD won't boot anymore

arhoneyc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hello everyone, I'm kinda stuck here. I built this system and its been running great up until last night. It suddenly shut down and would no longer boot. If I disconnect the power to the 6850 and move the video cable to the onboard it boots fine. I don't see anything that stands out in the event logs. I tried clearing the CMOS and plugging the PCI-e power back in with no luck. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

ASUS P8H67-M LX 
Intel i3-2100
Radeon 6850HD
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 PC3 10666
Corsair tx 650w

Solution
You might have to tell the MoBo about using the discrete card instead of the integrated one (force it). Have you tried changing/switching the power cables around?

If that doesn't work, try putting the video card on another PC, IMO. That should give you the clear answer about a faulty video card or faulty PSU.

Cheers!
You might have to tell the MoBo about using the discrete card instead of the integrated one (force it). Have you tried changing/switching the power cables around?

If that doesn't work, try putting the video card on another PC, IMO. That should give you the clear answer about a faulty video card or faulty PSU.

Cheers!

Solution

arhoneyc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yes so I made the changes in the bios and it booted up from the video card the almost immediately smoke came out of the video card and that great smell of electrical fire :) So its in the box on the way back to newegg. Still not sure what happened...bad transistors maybe? Well thanks for the help, it at least led me in the right direction.