Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

5850, 6850, or 6870 Price/performance

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 25, 2011 6:16:49 PM

So the 5850 is pretty much sold out everywhere...My question is, cave in on the 6850 which is slightly more expensive and weaker, wait out for the 5850 to possibly come back into stock, or get a 6870? Which would be better for price/performance? What manufacturer should I get it from? I hope to crossfire in a year or two. My budget was ~$150 but if the performance matches up with my price then I'm slightly flexible. If none of these, should I go with another card? Nvidia?

More about : 5850 6850 6870 price performance

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 9:57:40 PM

For budget performance cards, ATI seems to have this section of the market locked down. A 6870 would be a great bet, has lots of room for overclocking, and is pretty cheap right now. I can recommend an MSI Twin Frozr, an HIS, or an XFX. They're all good brands with quality behind them and decent warranties.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 10:05:33 PM

hd6870, unless your res is low.
m
0
l
May 25, 2011 11:16:40 PM

Would the 6870 run on a 600W PSU? Which would be better, XFX or Saphhire. The twin frozr looks a bit out of my budget range.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 11:18:47 PM

chocoboi said:
Would the 6870 run on a 600W PSU? Which would be better, XFX or Saphhire. The twin frozr looks a bit out of my budget range.

What is the PSU maker? Link please? Some PSUs say they can support 600w, but are really a 250w PSU. If it is Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, a new OCZ, or PC power and cooling, then you should be just fine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 11:19:53 PM

By the way, with coolermaster 600w you should be fine too.
m
0
l
May 25, 2011 11:32:57 PM

HostileDonut said:
What is the PSU maker? Link please? Some PSUs say they can support 600w, but are really a 250w PSU. If it is Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, a new OCZ, or PC power and cooling, then you should be just fine.


It's a cx600 from corsair. It's not enough to cfx so when I do in the future I need a new psu. How much would I need for cfx?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 11:47:56 PM

chocoboi said:
It's a cx600 from corsair. It's not enough to cfx so when I do in the future I need a new psu. How much would I need for cfx?

Well, if it's a new CX600, it will CFX hd6870s just fine. The old cx600 wasn't even 80 plus certified... You will just need to use the molex to 6-pin adapters.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2011 12:41:40 AM

If you are absolutely sure you will crossfire, get the 6870. ;) 
m
0
l
May 26, 2011 2:14:00 AM

^+1 agree 6870 is the price/performance KING especially if your planning to CF.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2011 2:16:05 AM

Embra said:
If you are absolutely sure you will crossfire, get the 6870. ;) 

Great scaling and price/performance makes it an EPIC WIN!!!!!
m
0
l
May 26, 2011 4:44:00 AM

Now I guess the question is XFX, Sapphire, or MSI. The Twin Frozr III sounds amazing but its so expensive. The XFX has lifetime warranty which is very enticing. Any pros to the Sapphire model? Its around the same price as the XFX. BTW, I'm planning on getting this on Amazon, unless the memorial day sale at Newegg offers me a deal I can't refuse.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2011 5:10:30 AM

chocoboi said:
Now I guess the question is XFX, Sapphire, or MSI. The Twin Frozr III sounds amazing but its so expensive. The XFX has lifetime warranty which is very enticing. Any pros to the Sapphire model? Its around the same price as the XFX. BTW, I'm planning on getting this on Amazon, unless the memorial day sale at Newegg offers me a deal I can't refuse.

Well, you really need to tell us which versions you were considering.
m
0
l
May 26, 2011 6:08:52 AM

HostileDonut said:
Well, you really need to tell us which versions you were considering.


Probably the baseline models

XFX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sapphire
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I prefer Amazon since I don't get charged tax, and I have student Prime. Are there any more models to consider at around the price range of the Sapphire?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2011 6:27:20 AM

The MSI is the best, but it is pricey. The SAPPHIRE has a better cooler probably, but exhausts into the case. Get the XFX.
m
0
l
June 2, 2011 3:29:54 AM

Best answer selected by chocoboi.
m
0
l