GTX580 and Windows Experience Index Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

banscare

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
First of all, I know Windows Experience score is just for bragging rights and it's not anything to worry about but I was hoping someone could indulge me anyway.

My score is 6.9 due to the lowest scored segment being video. Everything else is either 7.8 or 7.9. I have two msi gtx580's at stock and at the time of purchase those were about as good as you can get from NVIDIA. On a clean install of win7 my score for my video is 7.6 but soon as I update the video drivers it drops to 6.9. The only reason this bothers me is that on my network at work we have several machines with gtx480s and a couple older cards and all of their scores are above 7 with the latest drivers. My question is: does anyone know any other contributing factors that might lower my video score other than the gpu's and drivers? Does anyone have a gtx580 with a higher score than 6.9? From what research I have done the GTX580 should score higher.

specs
win7 pro 64bit
asus rampage 3 f
i7950 @4
gtx580s in sli
24gb mushkin 888 24
120 vertex ssd
2tb slave
850 gold cert. corsair psu

Thanks for your time

Solution
my single 5850 gets a 7.7, but 5.9 due to HDD.

I think WEI is worthless as a method for measuring system performance, do a bench with 3dmark11 or 3dmark 06 and post your score, if it's what it should be there's nothing to worry about.

Also 850w seems kinda low for 2 of the most power hungry GPU's to date, 750w being the minimum recommended by nvidia, even though it's a high quality PSU
I don't have GTX 580 but I experience the same thing with my 5970.
At first my card got 7.7 in WEI but after installing a new driver it dropped to 6.8(or something like that)
So it's not a big deal,you may want to try an older driver or maybe the next version will fix this issue.Have you noticed any performance drops ?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
my single 5850 gets a 7.7, but 5.9 due to HDD.

I think WEI is worthless as a method for measuring system performance, do a bench with 3dmark11 or 3dmark 06 and post your score, if it's what it should be there's nothing to worry about.

Also 850w seems kinda low for 2 of the most power hungry GPU's to date, 750w being the minimum recommended by nvidia, even though it's a high quality PSU

Solution

banscare

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
@ wiini :Oh I agree WEI is worthless and I am more than happy with my config. I get great fps and low temps in all my benchmarks and games but the thing is... I am a bit of a head case when it comes to this stuff and I figured this is a good way to kill the rest of my work day lol

@Maziar When I role the driver back I do notice a drop in fps. The newest driver is the superior driver but its just the low score that bothers me. Why would a 480 have a higher score than a 580 :p Baffles the mind

banscare

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

I was a little worried about that too but after spending some time on these forums and nvidia forums I felt comfortable with my decision. It has been stable now since December :) Though I do get the occasional "your video driver has stopped responding but was recovered" error, but I dont think thats due to power.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.